+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

hkalltheway

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
I posted this a few weeks ago, but seems that no one really read it. It talked about amendments long before the discussion here. I would read this article:

I found interesting updates about this bill in an article on the Calgary Herald:

Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/national/dramatic+increase+people+having+canadian+citizenship+revoked/12888212/story.html

Excerpts:

"The Senate is planning to patch a hole in the Liberals’ update to immigration legislation, Bill C-6, to make sure people whose citizenship is revoked can argue their case in court. A Senate committee begins its study Wednesday."

"Paterson said he has been talking to senators about amendments. So has NDP MP Jenny Kwan, who tried amending the bill in a House of Commons committee but had her amendments ruled out of scope.

“It was frankly astounding to me that (the Liberal government) neglected to fix that critical part in the bill,” she said. “Virtually all of the witnesses came forward to say that we need to restore due process.”

The Senate sponsor of Bill C-6, independent senator Ratna Omidvar, confirmed there are plans to table such amendments in the Senate, likely at third reading."

"Saying the bill’s passage is long overdue, Omidvar predicted things could wrap up in March. But its passage through the Senate will come with controversy, especially as Tory senators are expected to assert their belief that citizenship should still be revoked from convicted criminals."

marky14

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
subha_1962 said:
I also saw Sen Jaffer's twitter account that she hopes the bill would be law by May
I think terminologies needs to be established. I find it confusing that people use the term bill passed to implementation. Isn't bill passed = royal assent = law and coming into force = implementation. Once it has become a law, there's a process/discussion to be made on when the law is to coming into force/to be implemented or in effect. The tweet of Senator is Jaffer is answering the question of passing the bill before May. So I think this shouldn't be the basis of making the law in effect/implemented. The bill will be passed eventually but the implementation is still to be discussed which I do not think will happen soon. I think don't be too hopeful on the implementation date of the 3/5 be happening this year (if this clause will not be amended and remain the same after consideration).

MMCanada2014

Feb 20, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-09-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2016
marky14 said:
I think terminologies needs to be established. I find it confusing that people use the term bill passed to implementation. Isn't bill passed = royal assent = law and coming into force = implementation. Once it has become a law, there's a process/discussion to be made on when the law is to coming into force/to be implemented or in effect. The tweet of Senator is Jaffer is answering the question of passing the bill before May. So I think this shouldn't be the basis of making the law in effect/implemented. The bill will be passed eventually but the implementation is still to be discussed which I do not think will happen soon. I think don't be too hopeful on the implementation date of the 3/5 be happening this year (if this clause will not be amended and remain the same after consideration).
Agreed,

I don't think it will be implemented before 2018

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
MMCanada2014 said:
Agreed,

I don't think it will be implemented before 2018
There is no rule in canadian law that bills take 1 year to be implemented.

It only takes 1 year to be implemented for sick people like you and negative people like you.

Find for us this rule 1 year to be implemented 8)

get a life ;D

MMCanada2014

Feb 20, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-09-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2016
monalisa said:
There is no rule in canadian law that bills take 1 year to be implemented.

It only takes 1 year to be implemented for sick people like you and negative people like you.

Find for us this rule 1 year to be implemented 8)

get a life ;D
As you like, but I didn't say 1 year because you don't have it as a law now in first place. Assuming that it will be implemented directly is a thing that you need to re-think about

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Whocares said:
Wrong.FAKE NEWS

The Senate has the power to turf a senator from the chamber, as long as a majority approves the expulsion. This is a political game.. We will never understand it. So if the leader(s) of a party is not happy from a senator, they will vote to kick him out by voting. Since conservatives are the majority, they can vote to do whatever they want.

These are not my words, search the web and you will see yourself.
Seriously? "Fake news"? Please entertain me and show me a source ("search the web" isn't a source) that gives party leaders and/or the senate majority the power to oust a senator they don't like. And maybe you can give us one example where this has happened? Like a single name?

Here is my source: Constitution Act, 1867, Section IV, No. 23

31. The Place of a Senator shall become vacant in any of the following Cases:
(1) If for Two consecutive Sessions of the Parliament he fails to give his Attendance in the Senate;
(2) If he takes an Oath or makes a Declaration or Acknowledgment of Allegiance, Obedience, or Adherence to a Foreign Power, or does an Act whereby he becomes a Subject or Citizen, or entitled to the Rights or Privileges of a Subject or Citizen, of a Foreign Power;
(3) If he is adjudged Bankrupt or Insolvent, or applies for the Benefit of any Law relating to Insolvent Debtors, or becomes a public Defaulter;
(4) If he is attainted of Treason or convicted of Felony or of any infamous Crime;
(5) If he ceases to be qualified in respect of Property or of Residence; provided, that a Senator shall not be deemed to have ceased to be qualified in respect of Residence by reason only of his residing at the Seat of the Government of Canada while holding an Office under that Government requiring his Presence there.
So unless my English fails me there's no item saying "if the other senators don't like the senator anymore"

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
MMCanada2014 said:
As you like, but I didn't say 1 year because you don't have it as a law now in first place. Assuming that it will be implemented directly is a thing that you need to re-think about
Well I didnt mean that it will be implemented immediately, but it will not take 12 months
Could take 6 months or until Jan 2018 very possible

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting to see the never stopping speculations with regards to the effective date of that Bill ;D

Last spring people were sure that it will be effective before the summer break of 2016, then they were sure it will be effective after the summer.

Oh wait, then it was sure that it will be before the end of 2016.

Now I can see that the new speculations point as a deadline the beginning of 2018.

Keep on going with the speculations guys it is entertaining to read how sure the new deadlines are :p

VFX_man

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
MUFC said:
Interesting to see the never stopping speculations with regards to the effective date of that Bill ;D

Last spring people were sure that it will be effective before the summer break of 2016, then they were sure it will be effective after the summer.

Now I can see that the new speculations point as a deadline the beginning of 2018.

Keep on going with the speculations guys it is entertaining to read how sure the new deadlines are :p
[sarcasm on]
That would be awesome . . . I would qualify under the 4/6 rule at that time! :'(
[sarcasm off]

LOL

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
MUFC said:

I think all this speculation is kindled by a "generation of EE guinea pigs" in this thread. What I mean is that there is a decent amount of people in this thread (like myself) that became PRs in 2015 in the first Express Entry months. Back then we were the ones who
1. on one hand didn't really know what to expect when to be invited, how EE works etc, if the points required for an invite are gonna drop soon, and
2. on the other hand we were blessed by historically unprecedented fast processing times for our PR applications (4-6 months).
Speculation was abound (and still is) in the EE section of this forum. People are bringing it over here now... :)

And then, when they announced C-6 in Spring 2016, it seemed like this bill would be in effect early/mid 2017. This is exactly two years after the first EE generation became PR and if you spent two years in Canada before PR they could've applied now.

So here we are, a demographic
- prone to speculation
- being used to things moving fast
- waiting for the 3/5 rule
- been the victims and benefactors of sudden rule changes.

A dangerous mix for a thread like this :)

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VFX_man said:
[sarcasm on]
That would be awesome . . . I would qualify under the 4/6 rule at that time! :'(
[sarcasm off]

LOL
Frankly you never know which one would be better for you in terms of faster or slower processing times.
spyfy said:
I think all this speculation is kindled by a "generation of EE guinea pigs" in this thread. What I mean is that there is a decent amount of people in this thread (like myself) that became PRs in 2015 in the first Express Entry months. Back then we were the ones who
1. on one hand didn't really know what to expect when to be invited, how EE works etc, if the points required for an invite are gonna drop soon, and
2. on the other hand we were blessed by historically unprecedented fast processing times for our PR applications (4-6 months).
Speculation was abound (and still is) in the EE section of this forum. People are bringing it over here now... :)

And then, when they announced C-6 in Spring 2016, it seemed like this bill would be in effect early/mid 2017. This is exactly two years after the first EE generation became PR and if you spent two years in Canada before PR they could've applied now.

So here we are, a demographic
- prone to speculation
- being used to things moving fast
- waiting for the 3/5 rule
- been the victims and benefactors of sudden rule changes.

A dangerous mix for a thread like this :)
It is also interesting that the vast majority of that generation EE ( ;) ) is interested only about when they would apply. They even agree to have NO RIGHT TO APPEAL to defend their potential Canadian citizenship, they just want to apply ASAP.
For almost all the participants here this Bill is ONLY the 3/5 rule, Sorry but that really makes me laugh.

By the way I expect the climax of the speculation to be when/if that Bill passes and the time GC announce the effective cut off date of the 3/5 rule. So the best is yet to come ;)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
MUFC said:
It is also interesting that the vast majority of that generation EE ( ;) ) is interested only about when they would apply. They even agree to have NO RIGHT TO APPEAL to defend their potential Canadian citizenship, they just want to apply ASAP.
For almost all the participants here this Bill is ONLY the 3/5 rule, Sorry but that really makes me laugh.
Oh I totally agree: Although in the short term, the 3/5 rule is relevant for me, the other changes that C-6 brings, including the planned amendment, are way more important. I'll be an "aspiring citizen" for the next one/two years. But I would be a second-class citizen for the rest of my life.

MMCanada2014

Feb 20, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-09-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2016
spyfy said:
Oh I totally agree: Although in the short term, the 3/5 rule is relevant for me, the other changes that C-6 brings, including the planned amendment, are way more important. I'll be an "aspiring citizen" for the next one/two years. But I would be a second-class citizen for the rest of my life.
Totally Agree

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I plan to attend the Senate committee hearing tomorrow. Any one else coming ?