Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Like many of you, I have been following this bill very closely. With the residency requirements proposed, I can apply for citizenship this year instead of 2019.

I ended up emailing Senator Jaffer earlier this year and was instructed by an assistant to reach out to other senators as well. After watching the last senate hearing on feb 14-15, I emailed all the senators who were asking questions. Only one replied back.

I do not think it hurts to reach out to senators. It might not change their opinion but at least the emails have a chance for your opinion to be heard.

I absolutely want to them lower the time requirement or at least give credits to those who have been working and living in Canada for many years. They should take out that citizenship revocation clause and either remove the "intent to reside" line or explain how they plan to enforce it or validate it.

I

Imam Gomaa

Dear friends,
Just as simple question:
When is it expected for the Senates to vote for it?
In case the Bill is approved, when can I apply for citizenship if I got my PR on May 18th, 2015 and I was here tow years before getting PR on a work visa?
Thanks, all. I wish the best and good luck for all of us.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
Imam Gomaa said:
Dear friends,
Just as simple question:
When is it expected for the Senates to vote for it?
In case the Bill is approved, when can I apply for citizenship if I got my PR on May 18th, 2015 and I was here tow years before getting PR on a work visa?
Thanks, all. I wish the best and good luck for all of us.
March 2 Senate committee is planning to vote on it but it's not the end of the process. If the bill becomes a law without changes you can apply for citizenship any time after May 18, 2017 if you did not travel abroad since you moved here.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Godzilla9 said:
March 2 Senate committee is planning to vote on it but it's not the end of the process. If the bill becomes a law without changes you can apply for citizenship any time after May 18, 2017 if you did not travel abroad since you moved here.
Even if it becomes law, CIC needs to implement the changes like releasing updated forms, IO's need to undergo training etc. Who knows how long that would take. If I remember correctly, it took conservatives almost a year from when bill C24 became law.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
it will take some time from the moment it passes and it becomes implemented . The 3/5 rule will be the very last to kick in and like others said it took a year to the conservatives , so i wouldn't place much hope on seeing the 3/5 rule being quickly implemented . However , one could expect to use pre pr credit time soon after it passes and plus the current forms may need a very slight modification compared to the whole change cause by the 3/5 rule .
And honestly , at this stage , having bill c6 passed shortly would be a huge accomplishment . Should this bill be delayed again , the chances to see any changes in 2017 are slim .

VFX_man

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
asifmehmood said:
I don't see an influx of applications just because it will change from 4 to 3 years of residency. The applications are being handled by a single IO now unlike in the past when it was a three tier system ( IO/CJ/IO), also fee is playing a major role. Fee may not an issue for some singles, but for a family its a big issue.
Can you clarify the "not seeing an influx"? I'm I missing a component of the equation?

My thought is . . . Under the 4/6 rule I have to wait [along with thousands of others] for another 2 years since the move from 3/5 with the 1 year pre-PR credit. Everyday more and more people join the swelling ranks of "eligible under 3/5". So if the 4/6 rule is overturned, there will be a massive rush of applications of these people who were "stopped". Hence a influx of applications.

Cheers

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
you think only 50-60,000 applicant would be eligible to apply in 2016 instead on 120-150,000, the cost is major issue, specially for families of 4-5 members.

I am in a good earning bracket, but I see cost a burden and citizenship not on my top priority list.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
tyl92 said:
it will take some time from the moment it passes and it becomes implemented . The 3/5 rule will be the very last to kick in and like others said it took a year to the conservatives , so i wouldn't place much hope on seeing the 3/5 rule being quickly implemented . However , one could expect to use pre pr credit time soon after it passes and plus the current forms may need a very slight modification compared to the whole change cause by the 3/5 rule .
And honestly , at this stage , having bill c6 passed shortly would be a huge accomplishment . Should this bill be delayed again , the chances to see any changes in 2017 are slim .
Still hope 2017 will be crucial..

PedDoc

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
VFX_man said:
Can you clarify the "not seeing an influx"? I'm I missing a component of the equation?

My thought is . . . Under the 4/6 rule I have to wait [along with thousands of others] for another 2 years since the move from 3/5 with the 1 year pre-PR credit. Everyday more and more people join the swelling ranks of "eligible under 3/5". So if the 4/6 rule is overturned, there will be a massive rush of applications of these people who were "stopped". Hence a influx of applications.

Cheers
Very true with C6 i can apply in Dec 2017 and under current rules i will be able to apply in 2019 .
I know atleast 8-10 people who would fulfill this criteria , infact so many who got under Express Entry in 2015

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Kamran2015 said:
Hi everyone. I just want to point to something here: this website is the one if not the only blog were Canada citizenship and immigration subjects are discussed. There is a possibility that some senators are actually already reading it so they get an idea of how the public is reacting (along many other factors that they will consider in their decision making). So what you write here might have a direct impact.
This is definitely not the only online forum talking about immigration and citizenship, and if you think senators would actually be spending time reading things here in between their constant meetings, twitter updates, and busy vacations/breaks, well, I suspect this kind of senators haven't been born yet

Shmak2017

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
AOR Received.
2016/09/26
File Transfer...
SA 2016/09/30 & AOR2 on 2016/10/11
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
BG IN PROGRESS 30-March-2017 DM :31-March 2017
Passport Req..
10 April 2017
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/immigration/2017/02/24/high-fees-blamed-for-sharp-decrease-in-canadian-citizenship-applications.html

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shmak2017 said:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/immigration/2017/02/24/high-fees-blamed-for-sharp-decrease-in-canadian-citizenship-applications.html
Hadn't this article been posted numerous times here ?
This time is just the same as what the reporter had said last time, trying to twist facts with imagined theory ... no wonder Trump is saying there are too many fake news these days (he actually benefited from it during the election, but that's irrelevant here), but it is unfortunate that reporters don't do their research and just write things for shock value. This forum has far more useful and truthful information than Toronto Star

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
They don't give a shit about us... They are members of parties who they serve as slaves. If they stand against their parties, they will be kicked out of the senate. They don't care about Canada either. They have agenda to attract voters, that's all.

Kamran2015 said:
Hi everyone. I just want to point to something here: this website is the one if not the only blog were Canada citizenship and immigration subjects are discussed. There is a possibility that some senators are actually already reading it so they get an idea of how the public is reacting (along many other factors that they will consider in their decision making). So what you write here might have a direct impact.

Shmak2017

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
AOR Received.
2016/09/26
File Transfer...
SA 2016/09/30 & AOR2 on 2016/10/11
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
BG IN PROGRESS 30-March-2017 DM :31-March 2017
Passport Req..
10 April 2017
Canadian citizenship must be a constitutional right

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/canadian-citizenship-must-be-a-constitutional-right/article34128665/