Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
itsmyid said:
Let's just hope for the best and prepare for the worst - and the worst that could happen is the bill doesn't pass at all and you will be soon qualified with 4 years of residence, and get approved within months

For people who landed in 2013 and earlier, this bill just becomes less and less important as the time goes by, since by the time it gets implemented ( assuming it is passed in a few months and implemented a year later) most of these people would have already been qualified and would get approval much sooner under the 4/6 rule
"Soon"? I don't call June 2018 soon.
Also, it is not certain that implementation would take a full year. It is possible, but not certain at all. It might be much faster. No one knows.
Also, I don't like the "Intent to reside" clause. I do intent to reside, don't get me wrong. But what if, one day, I have to go back to Belgium to take care of my family for example and they decide that I misrepresented. I feel like a second class citizen.

smilermail said:
Guys, there are two scenarios:

1- Without amendment: Third reading in the senate then the royal Assent :) :) :)
2- With amendment: Consideration of Messages between the Senate and the House of Commons
a- Message Sent to the House of Commons
b- Consideration of Senate Amendments
c- Concurrence in Senate Amendments

I have seen some bills had amendments and this only took few days to be approved by the house of Commons then third reading followed by Royal Assent, which means the delay time will be from 1 day to 1 month. Below are some examples with some bills passed with amendment :)

c-2 (1 month delay): http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=8062279
c-29 (2 days delay): http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=8519336

Thanks
Wow! VERY USEFUL information! Many thanks! I understand better now! :)

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
MarceauBletard said:
Also, it is not certain that implementation would take a full year. It is possible, but not certain at all. It might be much faster. No one knows.
Also, I don't like the "Intent to reside" clause. I do intent to reside, don't get me wrong. But what if, one day, I have to go back to Belgium to take care of my family for example and they decide that I misrepresented. I feel like a second class citizen.
Hi Marc -
That how i first thought "intent to reside" means however after someone in the forum explained it with supporting clauses , it appeared to me that the Intent to reside applies on PR only, when you get your citizenship you are as free to leave - if you wish to- as any other Canadian born citizen. it was implemented to stop some PR that are exploiting the system, (citizenship of convenience) so they never have an attachment to Canada, they apply for citizenship and before getting the call they are already working in another country and waiting for the citizenship. so it is more of FRAUD - therefore it made a total sense for me . i will look for the post that explained that and send it to you.

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
MarceauBletard said:
check page 128 posted by dpenabill

seananderic

Feb 23, 2017
Quick question about implementation:

I've been a PR for slightly more than 3 years and also have significant student time under my belt. I should be able to apply for citizenship the moment the 3/5 rule or the rule relating to counting pre-PR time come into play.

But it's looking increasingly like I may need to leave Canada around the summer to care for some sick relatives for an indefinite amount of time. I would also like to spend time with my long-distance partner, who is waiting to hear on my citizenship before uprooting his life to come join me.

If bill c-6 passes, will I be able to apply from outside the country? My concern is that the current "intent to reside" provisions are very concerned with remaining in Canada during the PR phase. I have every intention of residing here as a citizen but I'm strongly motivated to get this done as soon as possible and I'm concerned my obligations outside the country will affect that.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
seananderic said:
Quick question about implementation:

I've been a PR for slightly more than 3 years and also have significant student time under my belt. I should be able to apply for citizenship the moment the 3/5 rule or the rule relating to counting pre-PR time come into play.

But it's looking increasingly like I may need to leave Canada around the summer to care for some sick relatives for an indefinite amount of time. I would also like to spend time with my long-distance partner, who is waiting to hear on my citizenship before uprooting his life to come join me.

If bill c-6 passes, will I be able to apply from outside the country? My concern is that the current "intent to reside" provisions are very concerned with remaining in Canada during the PR phase. I have every intention of residing here as a citizen but I'm strongly motivated to get this done as soon as possible and I'm concerned my obligations outside the country will affect that.
Hi , first of all , like many other members will you , planning on "IF" the law passes and gets implemented , it is not the best way for you because you may get disappointed at the end . We all wish we could plan accordingly to c6 but at this stage we're all sitting there in the dark and waiting , but who knows for how long ?
Plan according the current legislation and should the new law pass and gets implemented or the portion of it that you need then you will apply.
Applying for outside of Canada is not possible . You have to apply from Canada . You could always apply and go but not for a period of time that will make the immigration officer wonder if you have strong ties here because c6 removes the intention to reside clause however nothing will stop the officer from triggering an RQ if any doubts are raised and believe me you don't want to go there.
My friendly advice : For a lot of people ,including myself , family is everything , so if you qualify at the moment you have to leave , it's your call to apply or not , especially if you think you'll be away for a while . Otherwise , take care of your family , you'll get your citizenship at a certain point . Enjoy life with your partner .

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
tyl92 said:
Hi , first of all , like many other members will you , planning on "IF" the law passes and gets implemented , it is not the best way for you because you may get disappointed at the end . We all wish we could plan accordingly to c6 but at this stage we're all sitting there in the dark and waiting , but who knows for how long ?
Plan according the current legislation and should the new law pass and gets implemented or the portion of it that you need then you will apply.
Applying for outside of Canada is not possible . You have to apply from Canada . You could always apply and go but not for a period of time that will make the immigration officer wonder if you have strong ties here because c6 removes the intention to reside clause however nothing will stop the officer from triggering an RQ if any doubts are raised and believe me you don't want to go there.
My friendly advice : For a lot of people ,including myself , family is everything , so if you qualify at the moment you have to leave , it's your call to apply or not , especially if you think you'll be away for a while . Otherwise , take care of your family , you'll get your citizenship at a certain point . Enjoy life with your partner .
Just an example of a coworker of mine: she took a job in the US right after application ( and it was still under the 3/5 rule when there was no intend to reside issue), and her application was basically stuck there with no movement/updates for over 2 years, then she moved back to Canada through internal transfer ( her PR was about to expire around that time), and the approval came within 6 months.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
monalisa said:
well as Ive seen what happened few days back cons new bill was defeated by liberals (I think in government) about Islamophobia something like that
I believe its like war between libs and cons and thats how c6 gonna become law.
monalisa that was not a bill, that was a motion, which in simple words is a powerless statement that has no legal teeth at any level. You can pass motions about Atlantic Puffins being the master birds of the east or something. The motion you are referring to only got push back and coverage from the Cons because some Con candidates are trying to appeal to members of public who are anti-islam in hope they have enough to win the leadership post. If there was no Con leadership race then probably this motion would have passed quietly like it did back in November 2016 without anyone mentioning it.

I explained this because C6 is a completely different animal. Bill C6 is not a new law Libs are introducing, it is a bill to cancel the law Cons already established under C24. This is why the push back is fierce from the Cons; and I doubt they have any interest in the opposing argument, for them this is all about saving a Con bill that Daddy Herpes oops I meant Harper passed.

Honestly, for all the hopeful here, I do not mean to be pessimistic, but the nature of this bill clearly demands the maximum time possible. Cons have no reason to give up, and will keep fighting it until they run out of options. The sad fact is in such bureaucratic processes, there are numerous options to delay everything. The options were put in place to prevent rushing wrong laws, but they could be used to hinder the progress of other bills too.

I still think the issue at this stage is no longer time, if time is the priority of any of you, then you are following the wrong bill. My major worry is what is the point of C6 if it will not prevent C24 from surfacing back in the future. Nothing stops a new government from bringing back C24 in the future. This is why I said and I repeat, I wish C24 was challenged at the Supreme Court on its unconstitutionality; a decision from the Supreme Court would have put C24 to rest for good. But now, we can wait and get C6 eventually, celebrate as if we won Stanley Cup. But a few years later, we can be back in square one.

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
tyl92 said:
I agree with the replies you got from other members.Planning considering rule that is not yet a law is not the way to go in general. but if Bill C6 passes, if you apply and leave right after, it will most probably be an issue, -not just because the intent to reside- it is difficult to convince anyone that you intended to reside unless you have strong supporting evidence to back yourself up, then again its a pain in the a s s .

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
Konan1982 said:
Does it mean this year?
If it is approved now, it will take some time for the department (CIC) to be prepared (training, documentation,...). I guess after the summer.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
elie72 said:
If it is approved now, it will take some time for the department (CIC) to be prepared (training, documentation,...). I guess after the summer.
It took CIC one year after C-24 royal assent to implement the changes. It could still take CIC a year to implement C-6 changes.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Senator Jaffer replied to me in person!
https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/834813377868206081
She said: "@MarceauBletard There will be amendments. There has to be appeal process from Ministers revocation. I hope #senCA"

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarceauBletard said:
Senator Jaffer replied to me in person!
I'm at work and I can't get you the link, please go see her twitter account.
She said something like: @MarceauBletard There will be no amendment. There has to be appeal process from Ministers revocation. I hope #SenCA"
It says there will be amendments...

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
user3000 said:
It says there will be amendments...
@MarceauBletard There will be amendments. There has to be appeal process from Ministers revocation. I hope #senCA