Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
septimius said:
It's now a fact that the bill won't be passed this year.
With all due respect, I'm glad you're not a journalist.
Except if you have information us here don't have, this is not a fact, this is your personal opinion.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
MarceauBletard said:
With all due respect, I'm glad you're not a journalist.
Except if you have information us here don't have, this is not a fact, this is your personal opinion.
Marceau you are right that is a personal opinion, but a very reasonable and highly likely one due to the way the events have been unfolding recently. Having said that, we do not know if the Senators will defy the odds and approve the Bill as an early Christmas present for the rest of us :).

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
marcher said:
Marceau you are right that is a personal opinion, but a very reasonable and highly likely one due to the way the events have been unfolding recently. Having said that, we do not know if the Senators will defy the odds and approve the Bill as an early Christmas present for the rest of us :).
Yes let's hope omidvar brings all amendments at the table ASAP and most independents have no serious grievances and vote in the favour of bill.
Right now the delay in the bill is because no one wants to discuss it in senate sittings and that's why it's skipped everyday.I don't know why it's like this though.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
marcher said:
If it is not passing second reading next week, then we could almost say the law won't pass before Christmas. I guess it is very soon for us to make a conclusion. We hope that the government and liberals have the strong political will to power it through. I am afraid that we, new immigrants have minor influence on the process by sending or tweeting messages to senators.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
HSD said:
Yes let's hope omidvar brings all amendments at the table ASAP and most independents have no serious grievances and vote in the favour of bill.
Right now the delay in the bill is because no one wants to discuss it in senate sittings and that's why it's skipped everyday.I don't know why it's like this though.
agreed. i saw the reply from Sen. Harder who suggested immigrants to plead Sen.Eaton to pass the law before Xmas, which is ridiculous. The government and liberals in the senate, they need to be more motivated and work harder.

kris00

Sep 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-July-2014
Nomination.....
29-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
18-Dec-2014
Med's Request
30-Dec-2014
Med's Done....
17-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
13-Mar-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-Mar-2015
LANDED..........
20-Jun2015
The basic idea is to see the bill going through and that too quickly and in a parliamentary system when you are dealing with future canadians who are going to vote for these political bosses, it is no less an issue. It assumes greater significance that by passing it quickly you are winning a section of voters forever.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
kris00 said:
The basic idea is to see the bill going through and that too quickly and in a parliamentary system when you are dealing with future canadians who are going to vote for these political bosses, it is no less an issue. It assumes greater significance that by passing it quickly you are winning a section of voters forever.
That suggestion is not necessarily true. I do not think people vote for life for one party because of one bill like this. The fact is, while we are obsessed with Bill C-6 at the moment, once we become Canadian, we will completely forget about it and have minimal to no interest in such bills since they will no longer have direct impact on us. Other policies and bills become more important such as child benefits, increase/decrease of taxes, approving a pipeline that may create jobs for those in the field ...etc. I read somewhere that a great percentage of naturalized Canadians do not bother voting; and many say they do not believe any party really cares about them.

Nov 20, 2016
marcher said:
That suggestion is not necessarily true. I do not think people vote for life for one party because of one bill like this. The fact is, while we are obsessed with Bill C-6 at the moment, once we become Canadian, we will completely forget about it and have minimal to no interest in such bills since they will no longer have direct impact on us. Other policies and bills become more important such as child benefits, increase/decrease of taxes, approving a pipeline that may create jobs for those in the field ...etc. I read somewhere that a great percentage of naturalized Canadians do not bother voting; and many say they do not believe any party really cares about them.
THE LAW WILL BE IN EFFECT IN 2018 MID HEARD FROM A MP

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
ahahahahatoronto said:
Yeah right, so it is already determined , then why do they still bother discussing it in the senate? Any MP claiming a time line that specific must be talking out of his a*s

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
itsmyid said:
Yeah right, so it is already determined , then why do they still bother discussing it in the senate? Any MP claiming a time line that specific must be talking out of his a*s
I do not think it is already determined, but that is a very reasonable estimate the MP made. If you think about it, most probably Omidvar will have her amendments ready early in 2017, probably January. They will need a few sittings to go over them and approve them. If all goes smoothly, then sometime around March 2017 the bill will be approved. Then it needs about a year to actually be implemented, especially the 3/5 Rule; so spring 2018 could be the target date. It is all speculation, anyone making a guess including the MPs and Senators cannot be 100% at this stage.

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
One More discussion going on in this canadavisa forum

canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/breaking-news-bill-c6-finally-passed-in-hoc-now-reading-in-senate-t430607.630.html

I think it will be better to be in same page.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder: There are two, separate issues:
-- when will Bill C-6 itself be adopted and become law
-- when will the 3/4 rule as provided in Bill C-6 be implemented

It is true that any prediction about when either of these will actually happen is largely speculation.

What is known, however, is that the 3/4 rule will NOT be implemented until after Bill C-6 is fully adopted and becomes law, and that is likely to be at least several months after, perhaps many months or even nearly a year or so. Thus, best case scenario (soonest case scenario anyway), the 3/4 rule is not likely to be implemented before spring, with a significant chance it will take quite a bit longer than that.

Nonetheless, the odds are probably still good that Bill C-6 could be passed by the Senate and adopted into law this year. Might not happen, but it is typical for the Senate and Parliament to accelerate the rate at which legislation is passed as a break approaches.

Main outstanding issue is whether the Senate forces amendments. If so, those could still be resolved this year or the Bill could be pushed into next year.

In the meantime, my sense is that some MPs may indeed have some good insider information about what is happening and the prospective timeline, but whether they will share that information is another story. In contrast, however, reports in forums like this one that are supposedly based on what a MP purportedly said, are notoriously unreliable, not because the MP is unreliable but because the sources claiming what a MP said tend to be, well, similar to the source of the last such report in this topic.

ahahahahatoronto said:
The source of this post appears to be unreliable.

See, for example:

ahahahahatoronto said:
[for the objectionable, offensive content in this linked post, see original post]

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
dpenabill said:
Reminder: There are two, separate issues:
-- when will Bill C-6 itself be adopted and become law
-- when will the 3/4 rule as provided in Bill C-6 be implemented

It is true that any prediction about when either of these will actually happen is largely speculation.

What is known, however, is that the 3/4 rule will NOT be implemented until after Bill C-6 is fully adopted and becomes law, and that is likely to be at least several months after, perhaps many months or even nearly a year or so. Thus, best case scenario (soonest case scenario anyway), the 3/4 rule is not likely to be implemented before spring, with a significant chance it will take quite a bit longer than that.

Nonetheless, the odds are probably still good that Bill C-6 could be passed by the Senate and adopted into law this year. Might not happen, but it is typical for the Senate and Parliament to accelerate the rate at which legislation is passed as a break approaches.

Main outstanding issue is whether the Senate forces amendments. If so, those could still be resolved this year or the Bill could be pushed into next year.

In the meantime, my sense is that some MPs may indeed have some good insider information about what is happening and the prospective timeline, but whether they will share that information is another story. In contrast, however, reports in forums like this one that are supposedly based on what a MP purportedly said, are notoriously unreliable, not because the MP is unreliable but because the sources claiming what a MP said tend to be, well, similar to the source of the last such report in this topic.

The source of this post appears to be unreliable.

See, for example:
I agree with your points, but I was curious why you are saying 3/4 rule, I thought C-6 was proposing a 3/5 rule instead. Please correct me if I am wrong.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
marcher said:
I agree with your points, but I was curious why you are saying 3/4 rule, I thought C-6 was proposing a 3/5 rule instead. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Typo. Old habit resurfacing in an old man's brain.

Yes, meant to refer to the 3/5 rule.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
dpenabill said:
Typo. Old habit resurfacing in an old man's brain.

Yes, meant to refer to the 3/5 rule.
I asked because someone else said 3/4 on here too, so I was wondering if I was missing something. Having said that, it would make sense if they consider partial implementation when the bill is ready. In other words, rather than switching back to 3/5 at once, it may be a better idea to make the transfer gradual, for example, 3.9/5 for the first month, then 3.8/5 for the second month ... until they reach 3/5. Not sure if it will help avoid backlogs or just complicate life for everyone though :)