+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

stalintouch

Apr 2, 2011
You know that I realized this morning. We'll all probably end up applying for citizenship together (say within the same month) can you imagine what that thread would be like? It would be the most amazing thing. I though that following the thread to become PR was the ultimate experience and for citizenship was going to be boring but I think I was wrong. Can't wait to get started;):D
Anybody else feels the same way?

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
You know that I realized this morning. We'll all probably end up applying for citizenship together (say within the same month) can you imagine what that thread would be like? It would be the most amazing thing. I though that following the thread to become PR was the ultimate experience and for citizenship was going to be boring but I think I was wrong. Can't wait to get started;):D
Anybody else feels the same way?
Yes that will be great

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
I have a hypothetical question, if the law comes into effect September 1st. I am already eligible under C-6. Can I apply by mid- July, knowing that by the time my file gets to be allocated to an officer, the law is already effective. Will the application be rejected or anything illegal about it?
No, you shouldn't. CIC will surely return your application, if you send it before you are eligible, as C24 would still be in effect. Furthermore, you cannot postdate your signature. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-how.asp

FYI, a lot of us here are eligible since 2016 (from a C6 implementation point of view)... In my case, since May 2016.

Last edited:

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
No, you shouldn't. CIC will surely return your application, if you sent it before you are eligible, as C24 would still be in effect. Furthermore, you cannot postdate your signature. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-how.asp

FYI, a lot of us here are eligible since 2016 (from a C6 implementation point of view)... In my case, since May 2016.
One of the reasons for more and more secondary verification procedures such as RQ is that too many people trying to manipulate the system , thinking they would find loopholes ... that in the end would just delay it for EVERYBODY ... if people just follow the rules and stop playing tricks , C-24 wouldn't even have much basis to start with

Last edited:
Reactions: mats

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
One of the reasons for more and more secondary verification procedures such as RQ is that too many people trying to manipulate the system , thinking they would find loopholes ... that in the end would just delay it for EVERYBODY ... if people just follow the rules and stop playing tricks , C-24 wouldn't even have much basis to start with
When you try to trick a legal/bureaucratic system, it bites back harder.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
No, you shouldn't. CIC will surely return your application, if you send it before you are eligible, as C24 would still be in effect. Furthermore, you cannot postdate your signature. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-how.asp

I agree do not do it. I recently helped one of my relatives to fill application forms for their citizenship. Your application will be returned and you will have to start the process again... sometimes CIC takes its time to return application so in that case you will likely face more delays.

Reactions: UVIR

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Hi anybody know whether Royal Assent date has been set?
No body knows that for sure, at-least for now.

But I think that most probably it will on or before July 1st 2017 i.e. Canada 150 Happy Day!

That will make most sense 'politically' for liberals. (my opinion)

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had so much fun with Chris yesterday. He said that citizenship through 3 years is cheap citizenship. I told him not to insult Canadians

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I had so much fun with Chris yesterday. He said that citizenship through 3 years is cheap citizenship. I told him not to insult Canadians
Is it really necessary to do that when it is already said and done? There's no guarantee that Liberal will win the next election and Cons won't do something to repeal C-6 - Liberal already lost BC for the provincial election in case you haven't noticed, and there's a good chance they will lose Ontario ... Sure we will benefit from C-6, but we are just a small portion of the entire population, Liberal won't win election by the votes from new citizens under C-6, it would need to do a lot more... ridiculing cons does nothing to help

Last edited:
Reactions: UVIR

raisemyrent

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Is it really necessary to do that when it is already said and done? There's no guarantee that Liberal will win the next election and Cons won't do something to repeal C-6 - Liberal already lost BC for the provincial election in case you haven't noticed, and there's a good chance they will lose Ontario ... Sure we will benefit from C-6, but we are just a small portion of the entire population, Liberal won't win election by the votes from new citizens under C-6, it would need to do a lot more... ridiculing cons does nothing to help
the BC Liberals have NOTHING to do with the federal Liberals. Completely different parties that somewhat share a name. True story.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013