+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
The amendment about minors won't be accepted by HoC as it's unconstitutional, simply because minors don't have any legal capacity. If this can be accepted, C-6 will become a case law then all other laws will be challenged to allow kids to legally vote, have sex, get married, drink alcohol, gamble, smoke cigarette and pot, sign contracts, borrow money and etc.

Expect this amendment will be debated then rejected and the whole bill will be sent back to Senate.

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Redfield said:
Yes because the whole law passed Senate in 3 days so CIC had a lot of work needed before they could apply the law, they had to change the whole process of granting citizenship. In the case of C-6, CIC has already been preparing for the past year, also there are no major change in the process besides the 3/5 and pre-PR credit.
Nothing concrete about the pre-PR credit. Will it count half of the time of pre-PR and max 1 year to be credited?

Afri

May 3, 2017
walktheline said:
The amendment about minors won't be accepted by HoC as it's unconstitutional, simply because minors don't have any legal capacity. If this can be accepted, C-6 will become a case law then all other laws will be challenged to allow kids to legally vote, have sex, get married, drink alcohol, gamble, smoke cigarette and pot, sign contracts, borrow money and etc.

Expect this amendment will be debated then rejected and the whole bill will be sent back to Senate.
As a new amendment bill for citizenship has been passed in senate, but not sure when it will be effective and I was waiting for my 4 years to be completed in June 29. So if this bill become law on July 1st and i apply on June 29, what will happen with my file?
Either my file will be processed according to new law or the previous?
Ans please

mqadri

Star Member
Mar 9, 2009
This is timeline of the Bill C-24, How fast conservative passed this bill but it require almost a year to implement. Lets hope for Bill C-6

TIMELINE for Bill-C24

HOC 1st Reading: 06 Feb 2014
HOC 2nd Reading: 29 May 2014
HOC 3rd Reading: 16 Jun 2014

Senate 1st Reading: 16 Jun 2014
Senate 2nd Reading: 17 Jun 2014
Senate 3rd Reading: 19 Jun 2014

Royal Assent: 19 Jun 2014

Effective date: 11 Jun 2015

anwar405z

Star Member
Jul 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2010
Doc's Request.
20-07-2010
IELTS Request
11-08-2010
File Transfer...
08-07-2010
Med's Request
17-07-2012 (dated 06-07-2012)
Med's Done....
19-07-2012 (Doc send 25-07-2012)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Allah Knows
LANDED..........
March-13
Can anybody Help me to understand

" I am going to apply for Canada Citizenship but one question My son's passport will expire soon ( Last week of June 2017) Do I need to renew the Passport or I can Apply with this passport?

Advance appreciation for help.

Thanks
Anwar

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
walktheline said:

This is - unfortunately - completely incorrect.

I can't tell if the HoC will accept the amendment or not.

However, it is not unconstitutional. First of all, nowhere in the Constitution of Canada (= the several laws comprising the Constitution, British North America Act and so on) does it state that 18 is the age of majority and that you have to be 18 to apply to the government for anything.

Also, you misunderstood the amendment. Even if this amendment passes, a minor may sign the application but it must still be countersigned by a legal guardian. For example, a minor refugee child has a legal guardian assigned to them who would countersign the application. This legal guardian is not their parent! So far, without the amendment, no one could file an application on the child's behalf unless the actual parents (adoptive or natural) apply at the same time or are already citizens. Not even a legal guardian could do it. This is what the amendment changes. Note that even under the current law, when a child of Canadian parents applies for citizenship, it is the child who applies. It is the parents who sign for the child but it is still the child who applies. That is already the case.

Again, nothing about this amendment is contradictory to other laws or custom. And it is definitely not unconstitutional.

It is also generally incorrect that minors do not have any legal capacity. For example, a minor has all the legal capacity to agree to a trade within usual limits. For example, every time a child buys a pack of chewing gum, it goes into a legal contract with the seller. You seem to misunderstand the term "legal capacity".

And I can guarantee that this has nothing to do with sex, gambling or smoking pot. I promise :)

The HoC might not accept this amendment for many other reasons of course.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
anwar405z said:
Can anybody Help me to understand

" I am going to apply for Canada Citizenship but one question My son's passport will expire soon ( Last week of June 2017) Do I need to renew the Passport or I can Apply with this passport?

Advance appreciation for help.

Thanks
Anwar
This is not the right thread for this question.

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Lets Concentrate on Subject pl.

Todays News:

"Bill C-6 Amending Canadian Citizenship Legislation Passes Senate
A bill to change Canada’s Citizenship Act has finally been passed by the Senate with amendments, bringing the legislation closer than ever to becoming law. As a result of this bill, immigrants to Canada would be able to apply for Canadian citizenship earlier and more easily than before.

In a vote of 45 for, 29 against, and zero abstentions, Bill C-6 passed the Senate at around 4 p.m. on May 3, 2017. Senators in Ottawa have asked their colleagues in the House of Commons to review the bill, including amendments added by the Senate after the draft bill was previously passed by the House of Commons in June of last year. The bill must receive royal assent before becoming law."

Cheers :) :)

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
spyfy said:
This is - unfortunately - completely incorrect.

I can't tell if the HoC will accept the amendment or not.

However, it is not unconstitutional. First of all, nowhere in the Constitution of Canada (= the several laws comprising the Constitution, British North America Act and so on) does it state that 18 is the age of majority and that you have to be 18 to apply to the government for anything.

Also, you misunderstood the amendment. Even if this amendment passes, a minor may sign the application but it must still be countersigned by a legal guardian. For example, a minor refugee child has a legal guardian assigned to them who would countersign the application. This legal guardian is not their parent! So far, without the amendment, no one could file an application on the child's behalf unless the actual parents (adoptive or natural) apply at the same time or are already citizens. Not even a legal guardian could do it. This is what the amendment changes. Note that even under the current law, when a child of Canadian parents applies for citizenship, it is the child who applies. It is the parents who sign for the child but it is still the child who applies. That is already the case.

Again, nothing about this amendment is contradictory to other laws or custom. And it is definitely not unconstitutional.

It is also generally incorrect that minors do not have any legal capacity. For example, a minor has all the legal capacity to agree to a trade within usual limits. For example, every time a child buys a pack of chewing gum, it goes into a legal contract with the seller. You seem to misunderstand the term "legal capacity".

And I can guarantee that this has nothing to do with sex, gambling or smoking pot. I promise :)

The HoC might not accept this amendment for many other reasons of course.
Compare the capacity to buy snacks and one of the most important legal events in a person's life is wrong. This amendment is not just incompatible with other laws, for example minors don't have the capacity to swear the oath of allegiance. It's also incompatible with the citizenship laws of all the other countries. No other countries in the world allow minors to decide their own nationality, minor's citizenship is established either by their parents or automatically by blood or birth and they are only given the opportunity to officially decide their own citizenship when they reach 18. For example, some countries don't allow dual citizenship and people automatically lose their own citizenship if they obtain foreign citizenship by their own will. If minors are allowed to apply Canadian citizenship on their own and become dual citizens before 18 then they will automatically lose their own citizenship once they reach 18. When their judgment become mature in adult age if they regret obtaining Canadian citizenship then there will be no way to restore their own citizenship. So basically this C-6 amendment can lure these minors to make wrong life decision by themselves before they are mentally capable then regret for their rest of life.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
walktheline said:
Compare the capacity to buy snacks and one of the most important legal events in a person's life is wrong. This amendment is not just incompatible with other laws, for example minors don't have the capacity to swear the oath of allegiance. It's also incompatible with the citizenship laws of all the other countries. No other countries in the world allow minors to decide their own nationality, minor's citizenship is established either by their parents or automatically by blood or birth and they are only given the opportunity to officially decide their own citizenship when they reach 18. For example, some countries don't allow dual citizenship and people automatically lose their own citizenship if they obtain foreign citizenship by their own will. If minors are allowed to apply Canadian citizenship on their own and become dual citizens before 18 then they will automatically lose their own citizenship once they reach 18. When their judgment become mature in adult age if they regret obtaining Canadian citizenship then there will be no way to restore their own citizenship. So basically this C-6 amendment can lure these minors to make wrong life decision by themselves before they are mentally capable then regret for their rest of life.
There is so many wrong statements in this that I'm too tired right now to entertain myself to answer all of them.

However, just as an example: Australia already allows applications by minor children.

If the children are under 15, they can apply but their application must be countersigned by a legal guardian:
http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/Children-aged-15-years-and-under-or-unaccompanied-minors

If the children are 16 or 17, they can in fact apply for citizenship all by themselves, no one else involved at all:
http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/Children-16-or-17-years-of-age

It is also not called the oath of allegiance but the oath of citizenship. This is Canada, not the US. It is also incorrect that minors can't swear the oath of citizenship. In fact, already today any child that is 15 or older must swear the oath of citizenship.

There is more wrong stuff in your statement but I will stop here. Do you even bother to just google "Oath of Citizenship" or do you have fun claiming whatever comes to your head without fact checking and make claims that "no country in the world does...." Sigh...

Also, I would suggest you send your important concerns regarding the international implications of this amendment to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees who supports this amendment
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=bill%20c-6&src=typd
Clearly he is missing some important points that only you can help him understand better. :)

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Question:

Bill C-4 (An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code) passed by the Senate with amendments in the Mid of April and till now it was not read in the HoC.

I think Bill C-6 is somewhat similar to C-4, looking at the number of sittings in the Senate at the 3rd reading.

What do you think guys?

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Guys start tweeting the immi minister, PM and the government whip in HOC. Plus send emails too. Hope it puts some pressure on them to stop playing ping pong.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
FYI , the HoC refused the amendments on c4 and sent it back
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=projected&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8905866&File=13

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
tyl92 said:
FYI , the HoC refused the amendments on c4 and sent it back
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=projected&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8905866&File=13
Correct me if I am wrong, these are the amendments made by the senate:-

1. Raise language test age from 54 to 60

2. Minors can apply for citizenship

3. Appeal process for revocation.

4. Informing in advance about revocation process.

These are minor amendments and doesn't change the spirit of the bill. Apart from the age thing. They may reach a compromise. The whip in HOC has also changed. So let's see. Thanks for the info though.