+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
government has no influence on the senate. although Harder clarified the conflict of Oh's amendment with the bill's intention, it is still passed. Liberal senators like Jaffer support the amendment and against the liberal government's will. i doubt Harder's hope of ending the debate of C-6 in the week of May 3rd would actually realize.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
razerblade said:
Thanks. Sen. Jaffer is guessing 2 more amendments are coming.

I'm most interested in the residency requirement amendment, wonder what that will entail.

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/851936675571912705
Indeed. She just tweeted this and it is a FACT

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account @SenJaffer 1h1 hour ago
More
residence requirements and again add terrorism #C6 #senCA

This is turned out to be Bill- C24 lol

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Whocares said:

More

Overall, bill is dead

Senate will pass a C24 like bill and it is DoA in HoC.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
OMG!!! This was the first time I ever had the time to listen to the whatever it is called. Total waste of time. Turned it off midway. These are like a bunch of kids in an undergraduate class where there are points for class participation and many just say something and anything for the heck of it, no matter how stupid it is.

I had meaningful hopes with Se. Jaffer, but I was tired of her stories about John and Mohammad and her being from Uganda. If you meet 100, you are meeting 100 different stories. It's a senate, not a bespoke shop, so stop making tailor made suits.

Suddenly Sen. Oh became the crusader for children's rights, hmmmm... Well where were the amendments while C24 was attaining Mach 7+. I feel, as also pointed by many members here, this law has become a yearbook and anyone and everyone is doing anything and everything.

On top of it its frustrating to see people here give their analysis and how 3/5 is bad compared to 4/6 yada yada. Just wait for it and see what happens to the bill. All of a sudden the senate has gone non-partisan and everyone is an angel clad in white. Why not introduce a private member's bill like US senators?

Anywhos, enjoy, this is just the tip of the s***berg. After the return to HOC, just write letters to the MPs in your riding and to the Immi minister and JT. They already messed it up.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So where all the the residency amendment skeptics now? I did say this earlier and quoting it again:

thejkhan said:
Sounds like conservative and independent senators (combined majority) would like to amend residency requirement to 3.5/5, AND limit pre-PR residency credit to 6 months instead of 1 year.

It's not going to be C24ish. That's nonsense. It's going to be a compromise between C-6 and C-24. Be prepared for it.

AliceL

Mar 9, 2017
Whocares said:

More

This is insane and completely outrageous!!! Then what is the point of Bill C6 if these "amendments" are introduced? If Lib senators and lib-leaning independents vote for either of these amendments the bill is basically dead. My conclusion is: either the Liberals are complete amateurs (Sen. Omidvar clearly is..I have a lot of respect for her but she's not good at the whole game of politics) or most of them do not actually support this bill. I think it's a mix between the two: I think some of the independent senators supporting the bill are amateurs and some Liberal senators simply do not want to fight for the bill, this is very clear by now. The bill has been clearly filibustered since it was introduced in the senate. The decision to introduce the very first amendment (revocation) and to do it not in the committee (as they should have) but in the senate sitting has been the final blow.

We would be stupid at this point not to see that the liberals were not honest in their desire to revoke the unconstitutional C24. I still appreciate Justin Trudeau's message and intentions (whether they were sincere or not), at least he brought back a more peaceful and positive public discourse to Canada.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Seriously, it's like there is a virus of pessimism that spreads through this forum every time something happens. Let me post something over here that I also posted in a different thread regarding to what happened to another government bill, bill C-14 on assisted dying:

This bill, passed easily by the House of Commons (in a total of 5 weeks), also was debated a lot in the Senate. The Senate proposed no less than seven (!) amendments over the course of six sittings of third reading in the Senate.

The bill was then sent back to the House of Commons. The House of Commons then agreed to some of the amendments but rejected four of them. The bill was then sent back to the Senate with these messages from the HoC. The Senate then had a very intense debate that lasted for most of a whole sitting day and then - with a considerable margin of 44:28 - voted to accept the compromise: It will not insist on the four amendments rejected by the House of Commons and pass the bill as suggested.

So, in an itemized list:
- HoC passes bill quickly.
- Senate gives seven amendments during third reading over many sittings.
- HoC then rejects four of those amendments.
- Senate says OK to that compromise.
- Bill becomes law.

Sounds familiar?

Please also note, we are talking about a bill on assisted dying here which is arguably one of the most controversial and most emotional topics in society. Even in that case, Senate and HoC reached a compromise.

Compromise happens. Even when they are talking about assisted dying.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
I just sent email to JT and Minister requesting him to openly try to influence his "independent " appointments, and take a stand.

Trudeau should take Liberal senators back into caucus!!!

surya99

Star Member
Oct 25, 2016
Confused in Montreal said:
OMG!!! This was the first time I ever had the time to listen to the whatever it is called. Total waste of time. Turned it off midway. These are like a bunch of kids in an undergraduate class where there are points for class participation and many just say something and anything for the heck of it, no matter how stupid it is.

I had meaningful hopes with Se. Jaffer, but I was tired of her stories about John and Mohammad and her being from Uganda. If you meet 100, you are meeting 100 different stories. It's a senate, not a bespoke shop, so stop making tailor made suits.

Suddenly Sen. Oh became the crusader for children's rights, hmmmm... Well where were the amendments while C24 was attaining Mach 7+. I feel, as also pointed by many members here, this law has become a yearbook and anyone and everyone is doing anything and everything.

On top of it its frustrating to see people here give their analysis and how 3/5 is bad compared to 4/6 yada yada. Just wait for it and see what happens to the bill. All of a sudden the senate has gone non-partisan and everyone is an angel clad in white. Why not introduce a private member's bill like US senators?

Anywhos, enjoy, this is just the tip of the s***berg. After the return to HOC, just write letters to the MPs in your riding and to the Immi minister and JT. They already messed it up.
Bahahahahaha you are right my friend Sen Jaffer is a great story teller. I also turn off in between the conversation. They started this as a repeal of Bill C-24 now they are adding stuff with long a** stories. Even if she ask us we also have a sad and struggle full story behind our journey but who cares. Instead of just come to the point everyday one new senator comes up with an amendment and one long story with it.

Looks like senators were sleeping in 2nd reading and in committee that's why they come up in 3rd reading to show us that how hard they work. Anyways I lost hope in this as I am almost there to complete my full 4 years but I am still concern about my others friends like you.

God Bless Canada

abi90

Mar 10, 2016
spyfy said:
Seriously, it's like there is a virus of pessimism that spreads through this forum every time something happens. Let me post something over here that I also posted in a different thread regarding to what happened to another government bill, bill C-14 on assisted dying:

This bill, passed easily by the House of Commons (in a total of 5 weeks), also was debated a lot in the Senate. The Senate proposed no less than seven (!) amendments over the course of six sittings of third reading in the Senate.

The bill was then sent back to the House of Commons. The House of Commons then agreed to some of the amendments but rejected four of them. The bill was then sent back to the Senate with these messages from the HoC. The Senate then had a very intense debate that lasted for most of a whole sitting day and then - with a considerable margin of 44:28 - voted to accept the compromise: It will not insist on the four amendments rejected by the House of Commons and pass the bill as suggested.

So, in an itemized list:
- HoC passes bill quickly.
- Senate gives seven amendments during third reading over many sittings.
- HoC then rejects four of those amendments.
- Senate says OK to that compromise.
- Bill becomes law.

Sounds familiar?

Please also note, we are talking about a bill on assisted dying here which is arguably one of the most controversial and most emotional topics in society. Even in that case, Senate and HoC reached a compromise.

Compromise happens. Even when they are talking about assisted dying.
Wasn't the quick adoption of the bill in large part due to the pressure from the Supreme Court that had ruled the previous laws unconstitutional? There is no such pressure on C-6 at the moment for HoC or Senate to compromise. If the bill hadn't passed, the Senate and the HoC will work on it only after coming back from summer break.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
we saw and are disappointed at the incapability of the sponsor of the bill and the government leader in the senate. also we saw what those canadian politicians such as senator Jaffer are all about their own political agenda instead of on behalf of people's interests.

tired and not going to follow up on this dead bill any more.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
abi90 said:
Wasn't the quick adoption of the bill in large part due to the pressure from the Supreme Court that had ruled the previous laws unconstitutional? There is no such pressure on C-6 at the moment for HoC or Senate to compromise. If the bill hadn't passed, the Senate and the HoC will work on it only after coming back from summer break.
I am not saying that compromise will happen or won't happen. I am merely trying to argue that all these "Amendments are in, bill is dead" sayers are a little bit extreme. They seem to argue that the HoC and Senate never reach a compromise.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
spyfy said:
I am not saying that compromise will happen or won't happen. I am merely trying to argue that all these "Amendments are in, bill is dead" sayers are a little bit extreme. They seem to argue that the HoC and Senate never reach a compromise.
CON senators are adamant. Independent senators(from Trudeau) are fragmented.

Liberals are minority.

No compromise

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
quasar81 said:
CON senators are adamant. Independent senators(from Trudeau) are fragmented.

Liberals are minority.

No compromise
Trolololololol.

Anyways, no need to waste time on trying to convince you. Maybe someone else reads about that example and comes to a different conclusion than you.