+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
Even if amendments to residency requirements were proposed, I don't see why you're assuming such amendments will surely pass.
The amendments passed so far did not contradict with the essence of C-6, they were extensions to it. But an amendment to residency would be an effort against the core of a government bill and that's why I doubt such amendments would be serious and believe if anything they would be for time wasting as they probably won't even pass the Senate.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
MTweet12 said:
Even if amendments to residency requirements were proposed, I don't see why you're assuming such amendments will surely pass.
The amendments passed so far did not contradict with the essence of C-6, they were extensions to it. But an amendment to residency would be an effort against the core of a government bill and that's why I doubt such amendments would be serious and believe if anything they would be for time wasting as they probably won't even pass the Senate.
Also, to add to that: The residency requirement is explicitly stated in the election platform of the liberal party. If the Senate cans an explicit election promise they can be sure that the HoC will not agree to it. And since the bill is full of pet projects by now, Senators actually want this bill to pass.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MTweet12 said:
I don't see why you're assuming such amendments are/will be totally against the core of a government bill. Like the language amendment, residency amendment is also going to be a compromise between both sides.

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
thejkhan said:
I don't see why you're assuming such amendments are/will be totally against the core of a government bill. Like the language amendment, residency amendment is also going to be a compromise between both sides.
A compromise just means that the liberals failed to fulfill their major election promise, IF it really happens to pass the senate

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
thejkhan said:
The language amendment was never in the liberal election platform.

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
thejkhan said:
I'm not assuming. Repealing C-24 was a campaign promise and that means residency requirements going back to 3/5. Any amendment to that is a change to a campaign promise of the elected government.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
MTweet12 said:
I'm not assuming. Repealing C-24 was a campaign promise and that means residency requirements going back to 3/5. Any amendment to that is a change to a campaign promise of the elected government.
Very true!! Even the mandate letter given to John McCallum clearly stated that. The new mandate letter given to Ahmed Hussen is not as explicit. don't loose your sleep over it.

Senate meets again today at 2PM till 415 I assume and C4 and C6 are again up for debate. Another day of fairy tales and blah blah.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
spyfy said:
Also, to add to that: The residency requirement is explicitly stated in the election platform of the liberal party. If the Senate cans an explicit election promise they can be sure that the HoC will not agree to it. And since the bill is full of pet projects by now, Senators actually want this bill to pass.
There was just 2 campaign promises in regards the citizenship: https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org/

1- A Canadian is A Canadian is A Canadian .... Repeals terrorism clause & Intent to Reside clause
2- Give international students and temporary residents credit for time already spent in Canada.

Reducing the required residency period from 4/6 to 3/5 was never in the campaign, it was however a good point from the government to include it in #C6. Accordingly, there is no guarantee that 4/6 remains (if amendment proposed by Sen. Frum today as the debate was adjourned in her name yesterday, expected) and, if passed, there will be no surprise to be accepted in the HoC as long as terrorism, intent to reside and intl students and temporary residence promises remain untouched!!!

Mccallum was could fight fir it but I don't think Hussen !

ONLY GOD KNOWS

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
WHERE can I find which Independent Senator voted which way in last few amendments.

Time has come to email/phone Independent Senators NOW/TODAY, and remind that they were appointed by PM Trudeau - who had promised to repeal C-24 in elections and WON those elections on that agenda.

It Trudeau wouldn't have won, these senators would not be there in first place.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
spiritsoul said:
There was just 2 campaign promises in regards the citizenship: https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org/

1- A Canadian is A Canadian is A Canadian .... Repeals terrorism clause & Intent to Reside clause
2- Give international students and temporary residents credit for time already spent in Canada.

Reducing the required residency period from 4/6 to 3/5 was never in the campaign, it was however a good point from the government to include it in #C6. Accordingly, there is no guarantee that 4/6 remains (if amendment proposed by Sen. Frum today as the debate was adjourned in her name yesterday, expected) and, if passed, there will be no surprise to be accepted in the HoC as long as terrorism, intent to reside and intl students and temporary residence promises remain untouched!!!

Mccallum was could fight fir it but I don't think Hussen !

ONLY GOD KNOWS
Amendments for residency requirements is regarding 4/6 3/5 or the pre-pr ?
hope it will be for pre-pr only

Guys who were international students or temporary workers/residence be patient its better to wait 1 year more rather than waiting 1 year more + 4/6 rule

4/6 rule is very hard , i know many here are about to complete 4/6 they can understand me

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Lol so International students and foreign workers who have been here for more than 8 years can suck it up as long as you don't have to wait a single more day.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
Redfield said:
Lol so International students and foreign workers who have been here for more than 8 years can suck it up as long as you don't have to wait a single more day.
Sorry, but only last 2 years to be counted, wait 1 more year better than waiting 2 more years under c24
I understand you very well

https://twitter.com/ratnaomi/status/852163823612170240

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Guys who were international students or temporary workers/residence be patient its better to wait 1 year more rather than waiting 1 year more + 4/6 rule

4/6 rule is very hard , i know many here are about to complete 4/6 they can understand me
[/quote]

4/6 rule could have been considered fair, if time spent could be counted...

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
No you don't, this kind of remark shows you're in it for yourself and don't give much considerations to people who have been here wayyy more than any other kind of immigrants. C-24 impacted foreign students and workers the most giving them two additional years of residency to do, that's why Trudeau vowed to repeal that provision and restor the credit. Also 3/5 and 1year pre-pr go hand in hand, HoC will no accept any amendments to this as it is 50% of the Bill