+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
Perhaps there IS a better way, but when you find the Order in Council there, that is when it is official, and only then will people be able to sleep like babies :).

If it is true section 5 should start to be implemented a year from now, then this will be stated in an order in council, with a precise date. If you look at the status of the bill/law on legis, you will see that an order in council will decide the dates.

So that will be the official information, whenever they announce it.
Well, yes, I understand that, and thanks for giving the "official" website for finding such orders. However, if a person is trying to get an application in before the cutoff date, it would be helpful to have more than a 4-day notice! I *think* (but can't say for sure) that CIC will announce the date long before it appears on that site.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
alphazip said:
Well, yes, I understand that, and thanks for giving the "official" website for finding such orders. However, if a person is trying to get an application in before the cutoff date, it would be helpful to have more than a 4-day notice! I *think* (but can't say for sure) that CIC will announce the date long before it appears on that site.
I was just trying to caution people that the Government PR statement should still NOT be considered that advance notice you would like to see.

"Approximately one year" by Alexander's PR guy does not instill confidence :(. Better than nothing, for sure, but we need a bit more before we say it's over.

Interestingly, there has been almost nothing in the media yet. And you know how Alexander likes to give important statements in the media :).

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
I was just trying to caution people that the Government PR statement should still NOT be considered that advance notice you would like to see.

"Approximately one year" by Alexander's PR guy does not instill confidence :(. Better than nothing, for sure, but we need a bit more before we say it's over.

Interestingly, there has been almost nothing in the media yet. And you know how Alexander likes to give important statements in the media :).
Yes, when Alexander replaced Jason Kenney at Citizenship & Immigration, I was hopeful. Having been a diplomat, I thought he'd more, well, diplomatic. However, it appears that he and Kenney are cut from the same Conservative cloth.

Mors

May 28, 2014
Tolerance said:

Agreed. I'm eligible to apply this September so I'm hoping implementation takes at least end of this year. They can update their website anytime and we know that anything is possible. After all these, I won't be surprised if they change the part says "approximately a year". Long story short, it's not over yet without any fixed date as (DD/MM/YYYY).

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
shaazdeh said:
I think applicants, especially 2014 ones, instead of sitting and biting your nails,,, It is better to start preparing your application... :)
Seconding above, I would say lot of speculations will not add anything better, so best in our interest is start preparing our applications and as soon as we are ready send it. No one can guarantee when would government or minister would back off from previous statement, creditability of the minister is gone pretty low after passing this bill in June instead of October, 2014. Minister should understand people count on his words and should avoid making abrupt misleading comments or statement that can hurt the feelings of the people or destroy the trust on government.

We all understand approximately should mean close to one year from now, but trust level is gone so low down that people on stake even thinking approx. could be any part of the time from now, that where all planning of the people come to standstill.

mqbh

Jun 16, 2014
Hasher said:
Seconding above, I would say lot of speculations will not add anything better, so best in our interest is start preparing our applications and as soon as we are ready send it. No one can guarantee when would government or minister would back off from previous statement, creditability of the minister is gone pretty low after passing this bill in June instead of October, 2014. Minister should understand people count on his words and should avoid making abrupt misleading comments or statement that can hurt the feelings of the people or destroy the trust on government.

We all understand approximately should mean close to one year from now, but trust level is gone so low down that people on stake even thinking approx. could be any part of the time from now, that where all planning of the people come to standstill.
People have to be careful in interpreting "approximately one year" terminology.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Mors said:
Agreed. I'm eligible to apply this September so I'm hoping implementation takes at least end of this year. They can update their website anytime and we know that anything is possible. After all these, I won't be surprised if they change the part says "approximately a year". Long story short, it's not over yet without any fixed date as (DD/MM/YYYY).
So the question is, how do we find out that date :).

Somebody had a girlfriend in Parliament somewhere... It has to leak out, you cannot contain information like that :).

Mors

May 28, 2014
Tolerance said:
So the question is, how do we find out that date :).

Somebody had a girlfriend in Parliament somewhere... It has to leak out, you cannot contain information like that :).
I wish my girlfriend was in Parliament, specially with cons. Then I could break up with her to revenge :p
The only way is to wait and wait and wait and see how longer they will play with peoples' emotions.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
I would guess the "approximately one year" for the longer residence requirements is just that, a guess by CIC on how long it will take CIC to get ready to make those changes. I expect the changes to be implemented when CIC are ready rather than being implemented on a date set in advance by Chris Alexander. There is no conspiracy to play with our emotions.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My package has just been received 1pm today - signed by Mike. Given the royal assent was granted yesterday, am I on safe side if the law be implemented right after it becomes law?

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
CanV said:
You and I said it too, but we were mostly guessing lol
Sicko86 did the research.
No no, I'm referring to my post in which I was the first to say that it took a year for the last citizenship bill C-37 to take effect after passage (April 18, 2008 to April 17, 2009) and more than six months for the last immigration reform bill to take effect on June 28, 2002.

I wasn't guessing here. These are well known facts.

pravinsubu

Jun 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@civic : wow my package was received 1:02 pm by Mike. I guess our packages went together , shipped yesterday afternoon by Purolator. I have 1097 days , hoping all goes well !! Good luck :)

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pravinsubu said:
@ civic : wow my package was received 1:02 pm by Mike. I guess our packages went together , shipped yesterday afternoon by Purolator. I have 1097 days , hoping all goes well !! Good luck :)
Purolator too. They played a heart attack game with me yesterday claiming my package was LOST and an investigation is open. They found it today. I guess they won't charge me shipping. I ship it there for free, one day late though.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
aarongirl said:
Guys, My mom is eligible on July 31 2014 without language test (She is 55 at that day)under previous law. I wanna know that Royal Assent doesnt make any change about the previous law right now. Is that correct? My mom will need to meet the new language and age requirement when it come into the force. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
aarongirl, You are correct your mom will have to meet the new language requirements after the new language requirements come into force. What we don't know is when that will be and unlike the increased residency requirement I've not seen an estimated implementation date for the new language requirements.