+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

JMM2014

Jun 20, 2014
sicko86 said:
I dont think they had time to update the calculator and they wont till a year later .. Guys I think you should all relax .. the new Law won't come into force until a year later .. it is a common practice and they mentioned that clearly on the government website which was released direcly by CIC media office .. till when we have to keep freaking out!
Yeah, but honestly it's very difficult to trust this government's any "official guidance"... It's "approximately one year", not "one year". remember Chris Alexander said in a press release when bill C-24 was first introduced that he "hopes this bill to pass at the end of this year", but in reality this bill passed in light speed. Same case here guys.

JMM2014

Jun 20, 2014
This bill is a nightmare...if I know they would pass such a shitty bill I would never decided to come to Canada.

aarongirl

Jun 20, 2014
Guys, My mom is eligible on July 31 2014 without language test (She is 55 at that day)under previous law. I wanna know that Royal Assent doesnt make any change about the previous law right now. Is that correct? My mom will need to meet the new language and age requirement when it come into the force. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
the bill would have never come into force at royal assent. it was mentioned in the bill clearly. you should thank chris alexander for that :D
I think we should run a test with CIC now. Anyone that can call, call CIC now and ask them the same question: if I am eligible to apply now, how long do I have until in order to apply under old residency requirements? Depending on their answer we can continue asking them about the notice.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
the bill would have never come into force at royal assent. it was mentioned in the bill clearly. you should thank chris alexander for that :D
Well you can go ahead to thank Alexander...lol. However I choose to give God the glory (CREDIT), because I attribute Alexander's decisions to HIM.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
My original country doesn't have a process for renouncing citizenship. Can I make a declaration once I become a Canadian citizen that I formally repudiate my original citizenship in order to not be considered a dual citizen ?

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MrB said:
I give God all the glory and praise, for all I know the bill could have come into force at royal assent. God is forever faithful!
I would say bureaucracy can not move faster :)

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MasterGeek said:
My original country doesn't have a process for renouncing citizenship. Can I make a declaration once I become a Canadian citizen that I formally repudiate my original citizenship in order to not be considered a dual citizen ?
which country are you from? am guessing greece?

btw. don't worry too much about the dual citizenship thing. unless you are planning certain things :p in which case, i think citizenship is your least worry.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
I think we should run a test with CIC now. Anyone that can call, call CIC now and ask them the same question: if I am eligible to apply now, how long do I have until in order to apply under old residency requirements? Depending on their answer we can continue asking them about the notice.
Do not quote government agents!

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
chakrab said:
which country are you from? am guessing greece?

btw. don't worry too much about the dual citizenship thing. unless you are planning certain things :p in which case, i think citizenship is your least worry.
I just don't like being considered second-class or have less rights

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
The Orders in Council can be found here: http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/oic-ddc.asp?lang=eng&page=secretariats .

Until I see the implementation dates for Section 5, I will not be convinced of anything.
I looked at a few of the coming into force announcements at that site, and in each case the date was announced only a few days before the law went into effect! For example, this:

"Order fixing April 29, 2013, as the day on which sections 4 and 6, subsection 9(2) and sections 30, 47 and 78 of the PROTECTING CANADA'S IMMIGRATION SYSTEM ACT, chapter 17 of the Statutes of Canada, 2012, COME INTO FORCE."

was announced on April 25, 2013! There has to a better way of discovering the coming into force date than looking there. Hopefully, CIC will announce a more precise date before too long.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MasterGeek said:
I just don't like being considered second-class or have less rights
you don't have less rights. that's like saying why can't criminals visit other provinces while they are locked up. even they have the mobility rights as a citizen.

certain criminal charges trumps certain rights. that's how the law always been.

please dont think am calling you a criminal :)

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think applicants, especially 2014 ones, instead of sitting and biting your nails,,, It is better to start preparing your application... :)

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
alphazip said:
I looked at a few of the coming into force announcements at that site, and in each case the date was announced only a few days before the law went into effect! For example, this:

"Order fixing April 29, 2013, as the day on which sections 4 and 6, subsection 9(2) and sections 30, 47 and 78 of the PROTECTING CANADA'S IMMIGRATION SYSTEM ACT, chapter 17 of the Statutes of Canada, 2012, COME INTO FORCE."

was announced on April 25, 2013! There has to a better way of discovering the coming into force date than looking there. Hopefully, CIC will announce a more precise date before too long.
Perhaps there IS a better way, but when you find the Order in Council there, that is when it is official, and only then will people be able to sleep like babies :).

Also, some of the orders specified the coming into force dates that would come six months later.

If it is true section 5 should start to be implemented a year from now, then this will be stated in an order in council, with a precise date. If you look at the status of the bill/law on legis, you will see that an order in council will decide the dates.

So that will be the official information, whenever they announce it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
zulkfal said:
No under the current laws it can be passed to first generation
Correct. The new law allows for limited second generation transfer, but only to certain groups.
For everybody else, it's exactly the same as now.