+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor-blue83 said:
I am really terrified of this whole thing. I thought I was going to be ok and apply. what do you think should do, should I go ahead and send my application (when I look at the CIC webpage it says that you can apply but a CJ will make the decision on your application) its not fraud or anything it is basically having less then 1095 days of physical presence, to be more specific 1084 days. or should wait I will have my 1095 days by July 10.
am worried because my passport expires soon and I have no ways of getting a new one with out having to go back to my country and that is impossible.
Get a canadian travel document instead of a passport. Out of curiousty what country doesnt issue passports unless you are physically there?

noor-blue83

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
polarbear said:
Your application will be rejected or you will get an RQ with judge hearing if you apply less than 1095 days.

Your lawyer is a nut crack, don't hire him.
:mad:
thanks I just cancelled the application but unfortunately I have already paid him 1200$ and he won't give it back.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor-blue83 said:
sicko86 & chakrab thank you both, I have been thinking about this all last night. I just told him to cancel the application as I will wait till I have my 1095 days but unfortunately he will not give me back my money, he only cares about getting the payments not what is right for me. he told me the law will be 100% passed next week and I will loss my chance :( he is causing me more stress then any thing els in the world
lawyers work for themselves. not for you. it's all about money. if he doesn't return money then you can file a claim against the lawyer at a small claim's court. otherwise just tell him to wait till july 10 and submit the application then. DO NOT put the date on the forms anything prior to July 10.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor-blue83 said:
sicko86 & chakrab thank you both, I have been thinking about this all last night. I just told him to cancel the application as I will wait till I have my 1095 days but unfortunately he will not give me back my money, he only cares about getting the payments not what is right for me. he told me the law will be 100% passed next week and I will loss my chance :( he is causing me more stress then any thing els in the world
The law IF passes next week doesnt apply next day so tell him to get a life and act more professionaly.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Get a canadian travel document instead of a passport. Out of curiousty what country doesnt issue passports unless you are physically there?
airlines may not allow a passenger on board with expired passport. travel document is more like a visa that replaces the PR card, and i believe her PR card is valid.

noor-blue83

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
CanV said:
am from saudi arabia, and as a woman I cannot do any thing unless am there and also with a mans approval.
I asked him if I can get a travel document and he said NO there is no such thing. now am really confused was this guy lying

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are the one signing and dating the petition, even if you have done so already tell him not to send it or you will report him to the appropriate authorities as well as you will call CIC and withdraw the application and report him there as well.

noor-blue83

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
CanV said:
You are the one signing and dating the petition, even if you have done so already tell him not to send it or you will report him to the appropriate authorities as well as you will call CIC and withdraw the application and report him there as well.
I did not sign any forms yet. and I will not sign anything till I have 1095 days.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor-blue83 said:
I did not sign any forms yet. and I will not sign anything till I have 1095 days.
Perfect. I sent you a message, please check your inbox. Thanks.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Hi noor-blue83,

To my knowledge, you don't need a valid passport to apply for citizenship. If your passport expires by the time you apply, you can explain why you couldn't renew it. Given your situation, I am sure CIC will be sympathetic.

Good luck!

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
I don't know how anyone in their right mind can let someone else fill out their application forms and then sign at the bottom without examining the contents of the filled forms. Are they aware that by signing they're acknowledging that all the filled out information is correct? The government doesn't care who fills out the forms. The person signing them is responsible for their content.

It reminds me of the Border Security episodes I watch (there are many versions of them, the Australian and the Canadian ones being the most popular). The customs agent examines the contents of the traveler's suitcase and finds what looks like drugs. He then asks the traveller "What's this?" and the traveler says "I don't know. My friend packed the suitcases for me." To which the customs agent responds "So you don't know what's in your luggage?"

How can you not know what's in your own suitcases? More importantly, how can you not inspect your own suitcases if you let someone else pack them for you? How do you know they've not put drugs in there?

It's the same situation with lawyers and application forms. This is your application, not theirs, so if u don't examine what's filled in the forms, you're asking for trouble. The lawyers will make mistakes all the time, and you'll be the one responsible for them at the end.

transformer

Star Member
Jul 12, 2007
here are the different types of passports canada gives to people:

Certificate of identity
Certificates of identity are issued to permanent residents of Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens, and who, although not considered to have refugee status in Canada, are otherwise stateless or unable, for a valid reason, to obtain a national passport or travel document from any source.

Endorsements: A certificate of identity is not valid for travel to the bearer's country of citizenship.

The validity period is determined by the issuing office.

Refugee travel document

Refugee travel documents are issued to people in Canada with protected-person status, including Convention refugees and persons in need of protection.

Endorsements: A refugee travel document is endorsed for travel to all countries (except the bearer's country of citizenship).

The validity period is determined by the issuing office.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/pptc/documents.aspx?lang=eng

canimmigrate

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
CT, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I know the bill makes it harder to become citizen but how does it effect permanent residency?

As per the below para in globe and mail article, the example immigrant is in danger of jeopardizing her PR if she stays outside Canada. I thought the bill only impacts PR becoming citizens.

Globe and mail article
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/citizenship-act-will-create-two-classes-of-canadians/article18778296/

"She is now a permanent resident, just at the starting line of the four years she must spend in Canada to apply for citizenship. Her Canadian employer asks her to work in one of its overseas offices (perhaps to take advantage of her language skills and cultural knowledge). But under the new rules any time spent outside Canada will further delay her eligibility for citizenship and could even jeopardize her permanent residence. She refuses the career opportunity."

The answer to above question impacts thousands of PRs who have spent time out of Canada for various reasons. So, please help me understand if anyone is aware of it.

Thanks.
Can

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor-blue83 said:
i just checked the form right now. you must sign the document one day after you are eligible. so if you are eligible on July 10, you have to sign the document on July 11. (page 6 of the form).

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canimmigrate said:
Hi Guys,

I know the bill makes it harder to become citizen but how does it effect permanent residency?

As per the below para in globe and mail article, the example immigrant is in danger of jeopardizing her PR if she stays outside Canada. I thought the bill only impacts PR becoming citizens.

Globe and mail article
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/citizenship-act-will-create-two-classes-of-canadians/article18778296/

"She is now a permanent resident, just at the starting line of the four years she must spend in Canada to apply for citizenship. Her Canadian employer asks her to work in one of its overseas offices (perhaps to take advantage of her language skills and cultural knowledge). But under the new rules any time spent outside Canada will further delay her eligibility for citizenship and could even jeopardize her permanent residence. She refuses the career opportunity."

The answer to above question impacts thousands of PRs who have spent time out of Canada for various reasons. So, please help me understand if anyone is aware of it.

Thanks.
Can
it doesn't affect at all