+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Committee Stage

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
danpat said:
One of the Liberal MPs today said "the law could stay exactly the same as long as they fix the appalling processing delays".

On the whole though, nobody is fully against the bill, it introduces several elements and uses the word "terrorist" enough that it would be political suicide to be against it on the whole.

There are significant discussions occurring regarding the major changes though, I would hope that some of the more egregious parts will be modified or removed.
You are right ...it appears that the bill will eventually pass , although not sure in its original form or with some modifications but any idea how long will it take to come into effect ....around the Fall or before that ?

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with you, the bill will be passed with a few amendments. I think the conservative government has put some heavy parts in the bill intentionally. In the review, they are going to take them out and pass the bill. I think the topics about residing in Canada etc... which can be rejected by supreme court will be amended. On the other hand, the sections about physical presence 4 out 6 years or transferring the credit of the years before becoming PR will remain in the bill. Probably, it will be executable late 2014.
just for letting you know I hate this conservative government and strongly believe they will pay an expensive price in the next election. During these years, the pillars of democracy have been weakened by the conservative government that have also affected our lives in Canada.
Somewhere I read , several years ago, the liberal party was sending its representatives to the airport to welcome newcomers to Canada and help them to establish in their new home. Not only the Canadian government doesn't welcome us at all and at some points stimulate people against newcomers, but also they try to kick us off from the country.
To my end, this is not what I was looking for in my immigration. Another pain is that people like me are not able to return their home countries as we left home many years ago, we have built a life here and if we want to go back, we have to pay price again.

danpat

Apr 29, 2014
informatics said:
You are right ...it appears that the bill will eventually pass , although not sure in its original form or with some modifications but any idea how long will it take to come into effect ....around the Fall or before that ?
I think it's extremely unlikely to pass before the summer recess. The issues raised today were pretty serious, the media would crucify the conservatives if they pushed the bill through now that the objections are a matter of public record. They'll need to respond to the various issues raised during the committee either by changing the bill, or by coming up with very good responses. That will take time, they're not going to be able to ignore the issues raised during the current meetings.

spartacus

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
PNP: Feb 2014, PR: June 2014
Nomination.....
May, 2014
AOR Received.
21 Jan, 2015
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29 Jan, 2015
Med's Done....
30 Jan, 2015, Med received: 06 Feb, 2015
I agree that this bill will go through with some changes. It saddens me that this will hurt the international students heavily and no one is raising strong voice in their support.

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
sazamizi said:
I agree with you, the bill will be passed with a few amendments. I think the conservative government has put some heavy parts in the bill intentionally. In the review, they are going to take them out and pass the bill. I think the topics about residing in Canada etc... which can be rejected by supreme court will be amended. On the other hand, the sections about physical presence 4 out 6 years or transferring the credit of the years before becoming PR will remain in the bill. Probably, it will be executable late 2014.
just for letting you know I hate this conservative government and strongly believe they will pay an expensive price in the next election. During these years, the pillars of democracy have been weakened by the conservative government that have also affected our lives in Canada.
Somewhere I read , several years ago, the liberal party was sending its representatives to the airport to welcome newcomers to Canada and help them to establish in their new home. Not only the Canadian government doesn't welcome us at all and at some points stimulate people against newcomers, but also they try to kick us off from the country.
To my end, this is not what I was looking for in my immigration. Another pain is that people like me are not able to return their home countries as we left home many years ago, we have built a life here and if we want to go back, we have to pay price again.
Very true !

Xenophon2010

Jun 3, 2013
FYI I've heard from a lawyer that the new law will pass before summer. They have well planned to shove it up through.

For those who have a hard time finding the video stream, I uploaded the videostream from yesterday's meeting (including witnesses from Canadian Bar Association and B'nai Brith Canada) here:

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/kh1t3lhtha6qr25/0003a9b4.wmv

spartacus

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
PNP: Feb 2014, PR: June 2014
Nomination.....
May, 2014
AOR Received.
21 Jan, 2015
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29 Jan, 2015
Med's Done....
30 Jan, 2015, Med received: 06 Feb, 2015
There is a thing called `Policy Window` and I guess they have it; all the controversies with FSWP would help power it through this year. :(

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Xenophon2010 said:
FYI I've heard from a lawyer that the new law will pass before summer. They have well planned to shove it up through.

For those who have a hard time finding the video stream, I uploaded the videostream from yesterday's meeting (including witnesses from Canadian Bar Association and B'nai Brith Canada) here:

You mean the bill will become law before June 20 with no transition time? Thats so sad if true. The Conservatives give us difficult time to live here as immigrants.

bosmek

Apr 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As of today, it looks like there are no scheduled Committee meetings for the first 2 weeks of May.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be qualified to apply on June 7 2014 I hope I will be able to make it :"(

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
bosmek,

You are correct in theory - as this webpage below here also indicates nothing in May.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2&Cmte=CIMM

But, nothing SO FAR. I am sure by the end of today or tomorrow we will see some slots in May 2014 on this calendar updated for some more scheduled meetings with more witnesses.

There is no way they can get to the report stage before hearing from all witnesses. I guess the website is just awaiting updates for May, as of now.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Xenophon2010 said:

With all due respect, it's just the lawyers opinion at the end of the day. I have also heard from a lawyer and other reliable sources that the earliest it would pass it at the end of the year...at the end of the day it's still their opinion. Think about it this way though, according to parliaments schedule for the year, MP's have approximately a month to get it done, personally I don't see it happening this summer.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I totally agree with MrB. They are still in the first stage after 3 months! I can't see how they can get through everything in a month or two.