+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Committee Stage

SubZero_2

Star Member
Apr 12, 2012
I know from a very reliable source (MP (my friend)) that it will not become law by the end of this year. Just enjoy your life and be happy. You have my words on it.

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
SubZero_2 said:
I know from a very reliable source (MP (my friend)) that it will not become law by the end of this year. Just enjoy your life and be happy. You have my words on it.
I think it is useless to predict when will it pass. No one knows, not even Harper. Things happen and schedule changes, we are living in a global world where information travel very fast and schedule change.

People including MPs can only guess like the minister guessed when he introduced it in Feb. Look at the example of Senate reforms and Fair election etc.

It is better if we can share any updates here.

sevanb

Aug 5, 2012
As a refugee in Canada I waited too long to become a Permanent Resident. Since 2009 I`ve been making claims, sending applications and waiting for processing times to become a PR. Just for PR the processing time was 22 months ( 1st and 2nd steps ) . Before; to become a refugee it took 18 months, Refugees can not obtain passports from their own countries. And even if they get one, they can loose their PR status with the ne law ( bill C-31 ).

At this point with Bill C-24 They leave us without passport. They want us to apply for canadian passport as soon as we are eligible but now they are making the waiting time longer than as it is.

This bill, if it passes should not affect the people who became PR before the law. Because there is so many immigrants, students came to this country to become a citizen with that law. They do research first and then they move. May be if they knew this was going to happen they wouldnt even come to Canada. They would pick different countries. Nobody has to wait more and more years if they had a plan for 3 out of 4.

So why it is affecting the people whi already became PR. I would understand if it affects for future PR`s. Because then people will see this law and make their decisions after if they want to come to Canada and become a citizen or not. That will be their choice.

I pray to God this bill will not pass at all. God Bless

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
please sign and pass it

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/withdraw-bill-c-24-honour-the-charter-or-rights-freedoms

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
sevanb said:
As a refugee in Canada I waited too long to become a Permanent Resident. Since 2009 I`ve been making claims, sending applications and waiting for processing times to become a PR. Just for PR the processing time was 22 months ( 1st and 2nd steps ) . Before; to become a refugee it took 18 months, Refugees can not obtain passports from their own countries. And even if they get one, they can loose their PR status with the ne law ( bill C-31 ).

At this point with Bill C-24 They leave us without passport. They want us to apply for canadian passport as soon as we are eligible but now they are making the waiting time longer than as it is.

This bill, if it passes should not affect the people who became PR before the law. Because there is so many immigrants, students came to this country to become a citizen with that law. They do research first and then they move. May be if they knew this was going to happen they wouldnt even come to Canada. They would pick different countries. Nobody has to wait more and more years if they had a plan for 3 out of 4.

So why it is affecting the people whi already became PR. I would understand if it affects for future PR`s. Because then people will see this law and make their decisions after if they want to come to Canada and become a citizen or not. That will be their choice.

I pray to God this bill will not pass at all. God Bless
Sevanb when this bill was first introduced in February I phoned the CIC and I asked them if it will affect people who are already PRs, the agent told me that first it is still a bill under discussion and second since you are already a PR then you are on the safe side and you will not be affected.

I'm not sure how true his statement was, because someone may argue that these agents don't know much about the rules but this is what I was honestly told.

sevanb

Aug 5, 2012
Thanks for sharing experience with CIC
Thats what i am wishing. But everybody here are talking about like they have 1 month left or so and hoping to send their application before the bill becomes law. Looks like nobody knows. On the other hand doesnt mention anything on the Bill that law will affect all PR`s ( past and future ). I am going to start loosing more hair i guess in this country with this government.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

In preparation for our testimony in front of the committee we need your help to gather some statistical data. Will much appreciate if all those who were on temporary status prior becoming PR would fill in a 2min survey on our group website: http://preprtimecounts.com/2014/05/01/take-our-survey/
Many thanks in advance!

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
sashali78 said:
Hi All,

In preparation for our testimony in front of the committee we need your help to gather some statistical data. Will much appreciate if all those who were on temporary status prior becoming PR would fill in a 2min survey on our group website: http://preprtimecounts.com/2014/05/01/take-our-survey/
Many thanks in advance!
completed the survey!

vvppaa

Nov 8, 2011
Hi Sashali,

Do you still have your meeting on May 7th. I do not see the house of commons calandar showing that.

Thanks

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vvppaa said:
Hi Sashali,

Do you still have your meeting on May 7th. I do not see the house of commons calandar showing that.

Thanks
Yes, we still have the testimony as scheduled. Two of our representatives will give a speech and answer committee questions.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dr_majed8835 said:
How can we watch that and and at what time?

Are there any other discussions of the bill this week?
Here you go:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=6568782&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dr_majed8835 said:
Good luck to you on tomorrow's testimony.

Do you think that we can watch it online?
Thanks. Its Taya and Maria who are going to present tomorrow so lots of luck to them!
The meeting can be watched through the parliament website: http://www.parl.gc.ca/committeebusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Cmte=CIMM&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

irfan777

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,
Not really impressed the way our committee is positioning the C24. It is mainly focusing the Students and work permits, but what about PR Residents.

I was the regional brand manager for ME and Africa and I left my job and came to Canada while I was promised 1065 days for Citizenship.

I preferred Canada over Australia for less time of citizenship and I am sure many would have done too. So it is unfair, to change C24 for exiting residents. I think C24 should be applicable to the new cases otherwise It should change for all if it is changing for PR residents.......including students and Temp. Work permits.

So let's talk one language. Currently we are only. thinking about students and Work permits which is unfair and not acceptable

Thanks