+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Committee Stage

Xenophon2010

Jun 3, 2013
As you may be aware, bill C-24 will start it's committee study on April 28, 2014. The committee has dedicated 5 meetings to hear from witnesses (see MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS, Meeting No. 18, Tuesday, April 1, 2014).

That means they have two full months of sitting before the summer vacation. That could mean sad news for people hoping the law does not come into effect until about the end of this year, as two months is big enough for the Tories to pass it.

If you want to raise your concerns about this, do it now... Contact your MP and media. There is not much time left.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you looked at the parliamentary schedule? They have approximately a month left till the June holidays i.e considering how many days they'll sit between the 28th and June. Furthermore, it's the biggest reforms they've proposed since the 1970's, I highly doubt there'll be a rush to pass it before June. I'll take an informed guess and say the earliest you'll see it pass would be the end of the year. That said I agree with you everyone who's not in support of the bill should certainly get to work e.g writing your MP.

khakalove

Star Member
Dec 26, 2010
My guess is, IN SHA ALLAH, its gonn be ...at the nov dec, jan feb 2015 , will be the monthes to complete perposed this law......lets see.

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/withdraw-bill-c-24-honour-the-charter-or-rights-freedoms

please support and sign this petition in order to withdraw-bill-c-24

Europe26

Nov 1, 2012
The bill is still at second reading, it has not yet been referred to the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration. I am not sure where you got your information from, but it does not look right.

Xenophon2010

Jun 3, 2013
That is wrong. Check the Citizenship and Immigraiton Committee meeting minutes for April 3. You will see that they have already schedule the study of the bill begin on April 28, dedicating a total of 5 meetings for it, as well stating how many witness each party can call in.

Xenophon2010

Jun 3, 2013
I suggest concerned taxpayers also to email kathy.tomlinsonATcbc.ca (she is from "Go Public", a show that attempts to hold government accountable) and let her know you're concerned about this bill.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
I agree with Xenophon 2010, the bill likely be passed in two months, conservatives has the majority and those opponents to this bill are against part of the bill not the whole bill or it's principle, yes my expectations for the bill, it will pass into law by the end of June 2014

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some latest updates:

1. Our group has been asked to testify in front of Citizenship and Immigration Committee during the bill C-24 proceedings. Our representatives are going to give a speech and answer questions of the committee on May, 7 2014.

2. We have contacted over 60 members of parliament from Conservative, NDP and Liberal parties and provided them with our material and research. We have conducted over 20 face-to-face meetings with MPs in the last 2 months to promote awareness of the Bill and its affects.

3. We'd like to reach a 10,000 signatures mark before the CIMM hearings, please help to spread the word and sign people on our petition. One of the ways to promote petition is to pay at Change.Org website for promotion of the petition (pay-per-view). Your help will be much appreciated!
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

Thanks to everyone who supported us!

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Good job guys I'm sure that your efforts will result in a change.

Even if not complete change any partial change to this unfair bill will be to the benefit of thousands of immigrants who were waiting for years to submit their applications.

God bless you..

vvppaa

Nov 8, 2011
Hi

Are all 5 meetings to hear from the witnesses be held on April 28, 2014 or each one will be held on a separate date? Does anyone know about the dates?

Thanks

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vvppaa said:
Hi

Are all 5 meetings to hear from the witnesses be held on April 28, 2014 or each one will be held on a separate date? Does anyone know about the dates?

Thanks
As you can see on my message above , our group is going to testify on the May 7th, so that means it doesn't happen on one day.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
As you can see on my message above , our group is going to testify on the May 7th, so that means it doesn't happen on one day.
what group r u in? theres only 1 meeting set, which is apr 28.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
And also recently there has been a lot of not so kind press coverage on the TFW issue. Every other day some story online somewhere on the TFWs in some province, or the Fast Food chains issue and local Canadians being laid off etc.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u4g5 said:
what group r u in? theres only 1 meeting set, which is apr 28.
This group.
http://preprtimecounts.com
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24