+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best bank to open an account?

danoc93

Jun 24, 2013
I am from Ecuador and I will need a canadian bank account to get my scholarship deposits...

What's the best bank?

Someone said TD Trust is good...

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
RBC.

CIBC sucks.

theoptimist

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Harare
Visa Office......
Harare / Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
15 AUGUST :D
marsiangal said:
RBC.

CIBC sucks.
Whats wrong with CIBC?..Someone actually told me it was the best..

theoptimist

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Harare
Visa Office......
Harare / Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
15 AUGUST :D

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
nettoyant said:
RBC sucks! Because of their abuse it now takes forever to get a work permit! I wouldn't support RBC.
theoptimist said:
Whats wrong with CIBC?..Someone actually told me it was the best..
I was with CIBC for 4 years before I switched. It was where my employer took us to open a bank account when
I first came to Canada. I stayed with them when all I wanted was a place to put my paycheck. However as my needs grew
I felt like I wasn't getting good interest rates on savings account and gic account.
also they would not give me any credit AT ALL, apparently because I was not a PR then. (Although I know some banks do this too, I have great credit profile btw.) Even though I have been with them for a quite some time and had all my money in there.
I was successful everywhere else that I applied for. I guess I'm just not fond of this bank.
Also their life insurance company was a VERY bad experience, It took so many phone calls just to cancel that
damn thing. lol. But I guess that may be a different branch of the company but it stuck with me cause it still bears the name cibc.

RBC has a cash back program for banking fees. We do not pay any fees for our accounts.
And great mortgage rate and good interest rates on our savings.

I agree with you that RBC was stupid and annoying that they didn't do the right things when it comes to their foreign worker hiring or
whatever the problem was in the news, and changes were made to the rules. That doesn't mean that they are a sucky bank tho.

Realistically speaking, people have different preferences even in banking.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alright, i just opened a student advantage plan account in Scotiabank today, they gave me also a savings account, total of two accts.

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
hell911 said:
alright, i just opened a student advantage plan account in Scotiabank today, they gave me also a savings account, total of two accts.
Hi! Were you able to get a credit card? If so, do you know how long til you get the card? Thank you!

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
they need a permanent address for the credit card, im living with my relatives, so the agent told me when im living on my own, which i will do in couple of days, then they can issue me credit card.

idk if this is how it goes.

Finally

Aug 13, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2013
Doc's Request.
Will be waived
Nomination.....
Soon
AOR Received.
23-09-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Not yet
Med's Request
Will be waived
Med's Done....
Will be waived
Interview........
Will be waived
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
hell911 said:
they need a permanent address for the credit card, im living with my relatives, so the agent told me when im living on my own, which i will do in couple of days, then they can issue me credit card.

idk if this is how it goes.
My experience so far with CIBC leaves much to be desired. They offer what they call a "secured credit card" to international students which is really not a credit card because you deposit the exact amount that is your credit card limit in their bank before you get the so-called credit card. So in reality, each time you buy stuff with your credit card, you are actually spending your own money. Apparently, all international students have to go through this as they are considered to be of considerable credit risk. After about 1-2 years of using a "secured credit card", you're able to build up a creit profile which could then help you get a real credit card. It also does not matter if you had a great credit score in the country where you were living before coming to Canada.

I'll definitely be surprised if Scotia Bank gives you a credit card without asking you to make some kind of deposit. I'll be watching this thread :)

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^
isnt that debit card you are talking about? you deposit first in your account, then u can use that amount using ur card.

also, they didnt ask me about credit rating or any deposit to get credit card, idk. we'll see what happens when i found a new apartment.

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
Thanks for your replies guys!

I do remember signing up to 3 accounts, 2 of which were deposit services. So far, I received a SCENE card and a debit card. I'm still waiting for the 'secured' credit card with a credit limit of 500 CAD. I think it's different from the debit card, so I don't need to make some deposits beforehand. I could be wrong though. I'll keep you posted anyways. All the best!

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
You will need the chequing account to deposit stuff in (payroll, cheques, cash) and make transactions. ie. withrawals.
Usually has a monthly charge depending on how many transactions you need a month.

Savings is literally good just for saving money cause it is free and the money acquires some interest and it is free. However, if you happen to need to use this account for transactions it is quite expensive. Some banks ask for 1.50 or more per transaction.

Thus people usually have 2 accounts.

It will be better for you to go in the bank and talk to someone cause they will explain this better to you.
You can also check bank websites because usually there is a chart that compare all the accounts so you can see the difference.