+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

dmb705

Apr 27, 2014
To all the folks here talking about having expended funds on your application - your employer should have paid that and if you have paid to apply then you have been cheated.

To those complaining about not being able to take jobs in Canada, all I can say is that of course that may be unfortunate for you, but fortunate for the 1.5 million Canadians who are out of work and need the jobs. It only makes sense that people who already live here and are citizens should have first chance at the jobs. You have NO RIGHT to a job in Canada. You do have the right to apply to immigrate to Canada and if you succeed then you are welcome to take a job in Canada.

There is a large backlash against the TFW program because there are so many unemployed here, especially youth unemployment at 15%, and it is certainly not racist to want local people to be able to work and support themselves without foreigners working cheaply, living 8 to an apartment, and driving down wages and taking jobs that should go to those already living here. I certainly don't care about the race of a person who takes a job, just that locals/citizens - of ANY race - should have priority.

Dodge Ram

Apr 27, 2014
It is good new that the government suspended the TFW program for restaurants! Companies were abusing it and not hiring Canadians like they should. Canadians First !

collectskulls

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-12
AOR Received.
2-10-12
File Transfer...
2-10-12
Med's Done....
26-06-12
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
19-02-13
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-13
LANDED..........
19-03-13
stopDA said:
No, I was being sarcastic when I said that if they wanted these damn restaurant jobs so badly, they could have them. Why? Because many of the same people in these anti-foreigner hate groups wouldn't be caught dead working at McDonalds and eschew anyone who does. If they want these jobs so badly, then why don't they all go line up at McDonald's and sign a one-year contract to stay with their employer.

My fast-food job that was just put on hold due to this stupid moratorium has help-wanted signs all over the net, all over the newspaper, all over jobbank and all over linkedin. Yet it's still so understaffed that the hiring manager still has to take orders at the drive-thru window rather than doing other manager stuff. But if you go to all the restaurant review websites, you see these same people complaining about the painfully slow service at the restaurant.
As a matter a fact my 15 yr old son has applied at numerous fast food places (this where youth usually get their first job) he has not even once been called in for an interview.....And because of the laws here I can not put him to work in construction till he turn 16!

My daughter finally got a part time job at a Tim Hortons only because one of her friends new the manager....after applying at lots of places as well....

Even my wife who is now a PR applied at Tim hortons once she was allowed to work and did not get a call for an interview.She has finally found a job, and imagine the first company that interviewed her hired her....

So as I see this program was being abused and does need to be re- vamped cause there are Canadian citizens and PR's looking for these jobs ....

mowtan

Apr 27, 2014
I am a Canadian citizen, immigrated in 1979. I do think it is unfortunate that many of you have been caught up in this process, and certainly at the moment it look as though you will not be able to proceed.

As a Canadian, what you see in anti-immigration groups does not reflect the views of most Canadians. We welcome immigrants as a way of growing Canada, but believe me when I tell you, to most of us this programme was just a way of circumventing market forces and forcing down wages.

I am a retired restaurant owner, and I never had trouble recruiting staff or keeping them. Those that do, have to face the fact that their management style is wrong and they need to reconsider their wage structures. As Canadians we are tired of having our young people unemployed so that TFWs can have jobs at minimum wage.

To illustrate Canada for you. Right now a photographer is completing a project in Toronto taking a photograph of an immigrant from every nation in the world. He thinks he will complete the project this summer. We need immigrants. We need immigrants with their families, who are going to make Canada their home for generations, who are going to raise families. What we really do not need are unqualified people who will be here for just a short time, and who have no commitment to Canada.

I wish you all well, and hope you will be Canadian citizens one day

Dodge Ram

Apr 27, 2014
It is good new that the government suspended the TFW program for restaurants! Companies were abusing it and not hiring Canadians like they should. Canadians First !

KyleK

Apr 27, 2014
keesio said:
This action is an interesting twist with regards to immigration. Much of the anger has been towards the Conservative government over being anti-immigration (just look at the PR and Citizenship forums). But this action was triggered by non conservative supporters who claimed the Conservatives and Harper were "anti-Canadian" and letting businesses favor foreigners who want to "steal jobs from good local Canadians". Goes to show that all sides of the political spectrum are iffy on immigration these days.
TFWs are not immigrants..

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
Dodge Ram said:

u are right..lots of Canadians under employment insurance bec of TFW PROGRAM....

Avalily

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cpc ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2014
Nomination.....
17-02-2014
AOR Received.
28-04-2014
Med's Request
28-04-2014
Med's Done....
21-05-2014
what about tfw in the food sector with a in process pr applicatiob or have been nominated? are they affected with this ban?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zardoz said:
I believe that the Investor and Entrepreneur programs were terminated with pending applications rejected. Exactly the same with the pre-February 2008 FSW applications.
Didn't know that Zardoz. Always heard it worked with a pre announced deadline. Still if it has happened before, i think it shouldn't be implemented that way.

Unexploded

Apr 27, 2014
stopDA said:
I told you guys that we're nothing but commodities to these people in this country. We're not human beings to them. We're foreign IMPORTS (as in objects/property) and when they begin to see us as cheap, crummy and now-useless objects, they toss us aside like garbage because they see us as inanimate IMPORTS. As far as they're concerned, if we were born outside their country, then were born to please and benefit them. Phooey on our whatever rights as human beings we possess. This is why they issued this moratorium without so much as a warning with complete disregard for how much trouble it would cause many of us.
That's pretty bang on, but if it's any conciliation, the Harper Government has the same attitude towards it's own citizens. They only really care about corporations and have done everything in their power to lower the standard of living, drive down wages and openly attack labor rights at every turn.

While I'm sure there are some TFW employers that treat(ed) their staff decently, they're no shortage of horror stories of abuse. The recent changes are just a knee-jerk reaction to them getting bad press.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
KyleK said:
TFWs are not immigrants..
Many of these applying for TFW would like to be. The TFW is a way for them to get their foot in the door.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Most of the arguments here make sense. Existing Canadians should have the first go on any job vacancies, nothing wrong with that opinion or perception.

However, TFW program is much more than that. It brings in University Professors, Researchers, Highly skilled people in specific domains tool and they all do pretty well with their employers and jobs. They are paid as good as a Canadian would be, had they possessed the same skills needed for the jobs.

Moreover, as already pointed out, adding skilled people who might come as temp workers, but might become permanent residents latter, boosts your economy as well. Many of these might go on the entrepreneurial way creating jobs ultimately.

Please realize, many capable people won't consider applying for PRs while being in their home countries because they don't see it viable enough to take such a chance without a job. I won't. It might be some thing for some one with nothing to loose back home. But when you bring in people with special skills and having comfortable jobs back home, you need to have some similar sort of faster programs. A PR process is too long for any employer to wait for to fill their needs for people with special skills.

So please understand that there might be all kinds of resources and CIC in many ways tries to get only those needed. E.g. for a temp worker who even got LMO, CIC at their local embassy usually raises a red flag if the person is not well employed in his home country in the same profession.

So government needs to have more scrutiny added to the process to prevent any kind of misuse there by giving Canadian first right to normal jobs. But altogether shutting down programs is not really the solution.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mowtan said:
I am a Canadian citizen, immigrated in 1979. I do think it is unfortunate that many of you have been caught up in this process, and certainly at the moment it look as though you will not be able to proceed.

As a Canadian, what you see in anti-immigration groups does not reflect the views of most Canadians. We welcome immigrants as a way of growing Canada, but believe me when I tell you, to most of us this programme was just a way of circumventing market forces and forcing down wages.

I am a retired restaurant owner, and I never had trouble recruiting staff or keeping them. Those that do, have to face the fact that their management style is wrong and they need to reconsider their wage structures. As Canadians we are tired of having our young people unemployed so that TFWs can have jobs at minimum wage.

To illustrate Canada for you. Right now a photographer is completing a project in Toronto taking a photograph of an immigrant from every nation in the world. He thinks he will complete the project this summer. We need immigrants. We need immigrants with their families, who are going to make Canada their home for generations, who are going to raise families. What we really do not need are unqualified people who will be here for just a short time, and who have no commitment to Canada.

I wish you all well, and hope you will be Canadian citizens one day
But I was planning to become a Canadian citizen via TFW-sponsored provincial nomination. My employer actually hired me on the basis of me becoming a permanent resident after one or two years and then staying with him for many years to come. Almost all the employers automatically favored me more than all the other foreign applicants when I told them that I was planning on staying via provincial nomination. They even said that they encourage their foreign workers to take that route (and of course, stay with the company after doing so) so as to relieve their understaffing burden. I have a commitment to Canada and I'm not trying to steal anyone's job. I specifically sought out jobs in places where I knew there would be genuine shortages. But seriously, they should not make the innocent suffer for the guilty.

collectskulls

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-12
AOR Received.
2-10-12
File Transfer...
2-10-12
Med's Done....
26-06-12
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
19-02-13
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-13
LANDED..........
19-03-13
Unexploded said:
That's pretty bang on, but if it's any conciliation, the Harper Government has the same attitude towards it's own citizens. They only really care about corporations and have done everything in their power to lower the standard of living, drive down wages and openly attack labor rights at every turn.

While I'm sure there are some TFW employers that treat(ed) their staff decently, they're no shortage of horror stories of abuse. The recent changes are just a knee-jerk reaction to them getting bad press.
Are you kidding me??????
Holy heck working at Mcdonalds is not suppose to be career!!!!!!! You think going for a big mac combo is expensive now? Lets pay the person flipping that burger $25.00/ hour and then see what that combo costs!!!!!
Then they will want $30.00/hour to flip that same burger cause everything costs more!

Pipewrench

Apr 27, 2014
For those who think your in a horrible position your not. It would be political suicide for the Harper Government to kick everyone off. What is needed is for people who are in the program to step up and tell their truthful story if you have suffered abuse. The stories are growing and if there is enough embarrassment the program might loosen and become a open work permit with a solid promise to citizenship. This would allow you the opportunity to leave your current employer and seek a better wage. Indentured servitude is not what Canada stands for in 2014.

If your being threatened with dismissal or forced to pay high rents or food costs beyond your control report it. Report it publicly as they cannot deport anyone who is exposing problems, now is your chance.

Create a forum post and start talking to one another. No one hates immigrants , we are not happy with a system that indentures people to a corporation and allows abuse to flourish.