+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK, I came across a news article where Kenney himself confirmed that the government won't take long to do a review of the program. But then again, this is just a new level of being vague. I still can't tell if this means weeks or months.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
keesio said:
Again the issue here is that Canadians are upset that foreign workers were paid MORE and favored over Canadian workers. It's not a slave labour thing. It's that employers preferred foreign workers and rather pay them more. Canadians were losing their jobs.

The people that the government will listen to are Canadians (i.e. "voters"), not foreigners who want to apply for TFW or currently working as a TFW. So the people to convince are your local Canadians. But right now, people see businesses are "greedy" and against the "poor" Canadian worker. The Canadian citizen is angry at big business and the Conservative government (who they view as business friendly over the average worker).
You say it's not a slave labour thing but that was never my opinion, it is that of Canadians that I have already discussed the matter with. So while this is your opinion and I respect it, there are a lot of ways someone could see it. Same about the wage point. You say they get paid more, even at the very next post by PMM, you see the exact opposite point, that they're cheap labour. I can address both points and answer respectively but it would be better if we decide what the actual reality is first. Cheap/slave labour or getting paid more than Canadians and leaving them unemployed?

As for your last point, I might not be a Canadian yet but I'm a soon-to-be PR, already working for almost a year legally here, married to a Canadian and trust me when I say I already got tons of Canadians here apart from her, who find this move from stupid to dangerous. So I stand by my initial question as to where someone could complain to.

Obviously this TFW thing doesn't affect me directly but it does affect my mother, who is an experienced Greek cook and had an employment offer from a local Greek restaurant that has no other TFWs hired whatsoever and really needed another Greek cook and she had this opportunity to work here as well as being with the only person she has left (me). I find the fact that in general such a close relative to a PR or Canadian who happens to have a skill/experience that's considered in demand/specialized has currently no means to come and work legally, sad to say the least.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

The restaurant owners like the source of cheap labour. If they are unable to obtain overseas TFWs then they would have to increase wages to attract PRs/Canadians. An example, is an Indian restaurant owner with 22 cooks in his 3 restaurants, all TFWs. He claims that he can't find residents for the jobs. Odd with the high percentage of Indians in Canada, that none are cooks?
Hi,

As above, first we'll have to agree in whether it's cheap labour or they get higher wages than Canadians. As for your example, I do find it quite excessive to have 22 TFW cooks in 3 restaurants, that's true but that doesn't mean that other restaurants with legit needs should get banned from hiring foreign stuff. As for raising the wages, the LMO process is supposed to include offering wages equal or above the average wage for that particular job in the particular area. If a company breaks the rule, punish them, not everyone. Raising the wages of a particular level of work isn't the solution, since the wage offered is already broadly accepted to be "normal". The unemployment rate in Canada (a scarcely populated country) is very low and in some areas like the one I'm living in, it's almost as low as it gets. We could offer 50 per hour to Canadians to come and flip burgers as a fellow Canadian said to me today and then we could have lots of Canadians in those jobs, yes but in expense to other positions. I can imagine engineers running to become burger flippers :p

Also, as you are probably in Canada as well, you'll have noticed that over here people tend to get from one job to a better one quite quickly while at the same time getting pay raises etc, leaving way less people interested in lower skilled jobs. Paying lower skilled workers as much as higher skilled ones would simply kill any economy, so in your example (although it's a bit too much, I'll say once again), there might be Indian cooks available but if they are for long in the country, they're probably already at a pay level and position that would leave them uninterested in some entry level work

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
beholder69 said:
As for your last point, I might not be a Canadian yet but I'm a soon-to-be PR, already working for almost a year legally here, married to a Canadian and trust me when I say I already got tons of Canadians here apart from her, who find this move from stupid to dangerous. So I stand by my initial question as to where someone could complain to.
These Canadians (and PR's like yourself also) need to get your voices out there publicly. Currently the discussion is extremely one sided. Go to any article regarding the subject and in the comments section, it is overwhelmingly negative towards TFW, big business and the Conservative government. Right now, there is no visible public support for TFW among Canadians. That is the problem. The media is also one sided, writing stores of crying Canadians that got laid off from their jobs. Supporters of TFW have to contact the media and show the positives of the program. The problem is that it cannot come from business owners since there is a big backlash against them.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
keesio said:
These Canadians (and PR's like yourself also) need to get your voices out there publicly. Currently the discussion is extremely one sided. Go to any article regarding the subject and in the comments section, it is overwhelmingly negative towards TFW, big business and the Conservative government. Right now, there is no visible public support for TFW among Canadians. That is the problem. The media is also one sided, writing stores of crying Canadians that got laid off from their jobs. Supporters of TFW have to contact the media and show the positives of the program. The problem is that it cannot come from business owners since there is a big backlash against them.
I certainly agree with you

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/index.shtml

Man415

Jul 25, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2014
AOR Received.
10-02-2014
Med's Request
10-02-14
Med's Done....
04-03-2014
Passport Req..
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
I can't help but check this thread often for any updates.My TFW cooks have been telling me that I am exempted on this as I have a PR on process and my WP is expiring end of next year.I disagree with them.I am still a bit worried of the " domino effect " this might cause.I am not hoping of course but I'm just cautious.Until I get my PR on hand, then I can feel assured.

I am truly including a resolution on this on my prayers.I think this is the only thing I can do.I got a friend who will be going back home next month because of this and I feel sad for him.To all those affected, just keep the hopes alive.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I just read the complete list of affected NOCs. It's certainly very comprehensive. Much more on there than I expected. Wonder why they choose to use the NOC 2006 instead of NOC 2011?

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
attagirl said:
Please check esdc.gc.ca announcement on twp. :(
So, does this mean that they're shutting down the food service sector completely now?

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
attagirl said:
Please check esdc.gc.ca announcement on twp. :(
OK, the wording in their update is very confusing. Is it still 'suspended' or is it now shut down for good for those NOCs? It's been two whole days and now they're deciding to refund LMO processing fees now. This does not look like a good sign.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's shut down until they can re-evaluate the program and determine how to relaunch it. I think it means the LMO process itself is going to change substantially. As for how long the moratorium will be on for - I think that's anyone's guess.