+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

Pipewrench

Apr 27, 2014
collectskulls said:
You think going for a big mac combo is expensive now? Lets pay the person flipping that burger $25.00/ hour and then see what that combo costs!!!!!
Then they will want $30.00/hour to flip that same burger cause everything costs more!
so it will be more expensive.... that is free market...right now we have corporate welfare holding down wages with indentured servitude...allow any worker free movement with an open work permit and then increase immigration if there is a skills shortage.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Pipewrench said:
For those who think your in a horrible position your not. It would be political suicide for the Harper Government to kick everyone off. What is needed is for people who are in the program to step up and tell their truthful story if you have suffered abuse. The stories are growing and if there is enough embarrassment the program might loosen and become a open work permit with a solid promise to citizenship. This would allow you the opportunity to leave your current employer and seek a better wage. Indentured servitude is not what Canada stands for in 2014.

If your being threatened with dismissal or forced to pay high rents or food costs beyond your control report it. Report it publicly as they cannot deport anyone who is exposing problems, now is your chance.

Create a forum post and start talking to one another. No one hates immigrants , we are not happy with a system that indentures people to a corporation and allows abuse to flourish.
Very sensible advice +1.

mowtan

Apr 27, 2014
Pipewrench said:
so it will be more expensive.... that is free market...right now we have corporate welfare holding down wages with indentured servitude...allow any worker free movement with an open work permit and then increase immigration if there is a skills shortage.
Quite right

collectskulls

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-12
AOR Received.
2-10-12
File Transfer...
2-10-12
Med's Done....
26-06-12
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
19-02-13
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-13
LANDED..........
19-03-13
Pipewrench said:
GREAT idea the first thing that should be done is the minimum wage should be abolished !!!!

If someone wants to work for $5.00/hour they should be able too let the market set the wages I agree!!!!

You can have free movement and choice once you are a Canadian citizen!!!!!!!! Until then you deal with the rules Canada has and if you do not like those rules you do not have to come here or stay here!!!!

One day I will live in Thailand their rules for me going to live there suck, but guess what it's their rules and I will have to follow them if I want to live there....

Dodge Ram

Apr 27, 2014
beholder69 said:
Lol, what a joke! Just because some specific programs were abusing the program, they cut it altogether, leaving both decent companies and foreign people who wanted to work in a difficult situation.

Let's just hope this doesn't last long or my family will be in a very, very dire situation
I understand your situation, but companies were abusing the TFW program by bringing in TFW's and not hiring Canadians! Many Canadians think the TFW program should be abolished, because companies are reducing the hours of Canadians and hiring TFW's.Companies are posting jobs, but are just doing what is required but not hiring Canadians!

Dodge Ram

Apr 27, 2014
angelbrat said:
There is too much public pressure on the Government to stop all temp workers coming here, for them to ignore.

The political back lash is only just gaining momentum.I believe, like the poster above, that all temp working visa's will be stopped short term, whilst they investigate what is happening.

With an election looming, the Conservatives will be more amicable to listening to the public voice and the public is demanding no more foreign workers.

The government should be listening period! So what if an election is coming, Harper needs to go! He is screwing Canada up enough, by letting companies hire TFW's when there are Canadians that can and want to do the job! Youth can't get jobs or a lot of others either! Funny how all this abuse has been going on and Harper and Kenney chose to ignore it! I am a taxpayer of Canada and this is bullshit that this is happening. I know many people that applied for jobs in the restaurant industry and never heard a thing! Why? Companies were to busy hiring TFW's! Harper will never get my vote, he is my MP and he doesn't do shit!

Dodge Ram

Apr 27, 2014
zardoz said:
I think that this is just the start... The scandal last year about TFWs coming to actively replace certain Canadian bank workers has not helped.

It's quite possible that LMOs will now be MUCH harder to obtain, even for those not working in the food service industries. They will probably want to see much higher levels of proof that a TFW is actually needed and that the job position really has been made available to Canadian citizens or PRs before requesting an LMO.
That is the way it should be! Canadians getting there hours reduced, while companies hire TFW's! Scrap the TFW program it is bullshit!!

binoy madackan

Aug 2, 2013
Any body please help.my LMO was approved before the suspension date.its filled and approved in my name before the suspension. can i apply for the work permit now?Lmo expires only in june. i am in canada on PGWP now. any body please reply.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dodge Ram said:
That is the way it should be! Canadians getting there hours reduced, while companies hire TFW's! Scrap the TFW program it is bull*censored word*!!
Why don't you go get into a pile with the guys in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
binoy madackan said:
Any body please help.my LMO was approved before the suspension date.its filled and approved in my name before the suspension. can i apply for the work permit now?Lmo expires only in june. i am in canada on PGWP now. any body please reply.
I don't really know. It probably isn't but you should apply anyway. It won't hurt to do so. It might work, but then again, CIC checks ESDC's database to see if the LMO is legitimate. I'm not sure if Kenney froze the LMO tracking numbers too, so as to prevent them from being issued work permits. However, I doubt that he went that far. As far as I know, this moratorium just means that they're not processing any new applications for the time being. ESDC and CIC are two different government agencies.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Dodge Ram said:
I understand your situation, but companies were abusing the TFW program by bringing in TFW's and not hiring Canadians! Many Canadians think the TFW program should be abolished, because companies are reducing the hours of Canadians and hiring TFW's.Companies are posting jobs, but are just doing what is required but not hiring Canadians!
I know what you and others are saying and I find it more than obvious than Canadians should be first at jobs. However, I'm not sure how many of you have actual knowledge of how the program worked, I'm talking about the actual procedure to issue an LMO. The agreement that the employer had to sign, included: a) posting the job offer in 3 different media with the wage, which could not be less than the average wage in that particular area for that particular job (so can't get how the cheap labour and/or "they got paid 15% less than Canadians" came from), b) ensuring that no Canadians would be fired as a consequence of that TFW hire and c) that they'd be open to regular checks to make sure all the terms the employer agreed to were upheld.

I don't know how you see it but in my eyes, even if the program could be improved (as anything always can actually), it did cover all the bases everyone keeps complaining about. The fact that employers abused the program by not following those agreed terms are not because the program is not good but because the government and all relevant authorities were unable to actually make those checks and punish the employers who didn't comply.

In other words, when you make an agreement and someone cheats, punish the cheater, don't blame the actual agreement. Also, if you believe that a country the size of Canada with the economy it has and its current population, with its current growth rate, won't be needing foreign workers to keep up with this growth, then I suggest not only ending the program but kicking out of the country all current TFWs to see how fun it will get all over the country in no time.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beholder69 said:
I know what you and others are saying and I find it more than obvious than Canadians should be first at jobs. However, I'm not sure how many of you have actual knowledge of how the program worked, I'm talking about the actual procedure to issue an LMO. The agreement that the employer had to sign, included: a) posting the job offer in 3 different media with the wage, which could not be less than the average wage in that particular area for that particular job (so can't get how the cheap labour and/or "they got paid 15% less than Canadians" came from), b) ensuring that no Canadians would be fired as a consequence of that TFW hire and c) that they'd be open to regular checks to make sure all the terms the employer agreed to were upheld.

I don't know how you see it but in my eyes, even if the program could be improved (as anything always can actually), it did cover all the bases everyone keeps complaining about. The fact that employers abused the program by not following those agreed terms are not because the program is not good but because the government and all relevant authorities were unable to actually make those checks and punish the employers who didn't comply.

In other words, when you make an agreement and someone cheats, punish the cheater, don't blame the actual agreement. Also, if you believe that a country the size of Canada with the economy it has and its current population, with its current growth rate, won't be needing foreign workers to keep up with this growth, then I suggest not only ending the program but kicking out of the country all current TFWs to see how fun it will get all over the country in no time.
They'll beg us to come back if that ever happens. OK, maybe they won't acknowledge our necessity but they'll complain on and on about how service has gone downhill since (insert some excuse other than TFW abolition). It's already happened to my employer's restaurant in a rural natural resource town long before this moratorium took place. Sorry Canadians but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You either have to buckle down and do a job that is 'below you', do without fast-food, or embrace temporary foreign restaurant workers as a necessity.

Here's the thing. There have been more TFW abuses in the past long before this moratorium. In each case, the foreign worker wasn't deported. All that happened was that the government helped them find another job with a different employer. The concept of being deported if you don't put up with abuse is a huge myth that many people believe. Seriously, there are NO laws that make the TFWP resemble slave labor in any way, shape or form.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beholder69 said:

They'll beg us to come back if that ever happens. OK, maybe they won't acknowledge our necessity but they'll complain on and on about how service has gone downhill since (insert some excuse other than TFW abolition). It's already happened to my employer's restaurant in a rural natural resource town long before this moratorium took place. Sorry Canadians but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You either have to buckle down and do a job that is 'below you', do without fast-food, or embrace temporary foreign restaurant workers as a necessity.

Here's the thing. There have been more TFW abuses in the past long before this moratorium. In each case, the foreign worker wasn't deported. All that happened was that the government helped them find another job with a different employer. The concept of being deported if you don't put up with abuse is a huge myth that many people believe. Seriously, there are NO laws that make the TFWP resemble slave labor in any way, shape or form.

babytoy45

Apr 28, 2014
Hi All,

I already have a VISA and be arriving in canada as TFW in food sector. Am I affected

I already have an approve LMO but the WP will be collected only on my arrival