Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Has anyone traveled with a valid visa stamp and approved extension (I-797 + I-94) while returning from Canada to US? If yes, please help me with the queries below based on your experience:

1. Did CBP at port of entry admit you only till the visa stamp expiry date or through the extension period as per I-797 approval notice?
2. If it was only till the visa stamp expiry date, can it cause any problem with lawful stay beyond that date invalidating the already approved extension?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/h1b-travel-to-usa-after-completing-soft-landing-in-canada.741549/page-4#post-10084897
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/h1b-travel-to-usa-after-completing-soft-landing-in-canada.741549/page-4#post-10084938

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently residing in US working on H1B and also have a Canada PR card. I might have to travel to Canada for office related work and I plan to return back to US within 10 days.

Entering Canada shouldn't be problem, since I already have a valid PR Card.

While returning back to US, I plan to enter using AVR since I have an expired H1B visa stamp from my previous employer and currently have an approved I-797A with valid I-94 from my current employer.

Just wanted to make sure if AVR is still an option or would I need to go for a H1B stamping in Canada.

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently residing in US working on H1B and also have a Canada PR card. I might have to travel to Canada for office related work and I plan to return back to US within 10 days.

Entering Canada shouldn't be problem, since I already have a valid PR Card.

While returning back to US, I plan to enter using AVR since I have an expired H1B visa stamp from my previous employer and currently have an approved I-797A with valid I-94 from my current employer.

Just wanted to make sure if AVR is still an option or would I need to go for a H1B stamping in Canada.

Hello. Can anyone advice me on the question I had asked couple of days back? Will appreciate your feedback.

Jun 13, 2022
I am a dependent H4 visa holder with an approved I797a petition form and i94 attached below, by husband is a H1b visa holder unto 2023.
He visited India earlier this year and has a visa stamped on his passport, but I have an expired visa stamped same as my son.

We are planning a 5 day trip to Vancouver and already have the Canada visa, can we re-enter US using the AVR category? We do not have any pending visa application nor will be filling DS160 for visa renewal on passport, are we eligible to reenter back, is there any way we can confirm this with CBP?

AnkithaP

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Has anyone traveled with a valid visa stamp and approved extension (I-797 + I-94) while returning from Canada to US? If yes, please help me with the queries below based on your experience:

1. Did CBP at port of entry admit you only till the visa stamp expiry date or through the extension period as per I-797 approval notice?
2. If it was only till the visa stamp expiry date, can it cause any problem with lawful stay beyond that date invalidating the already approved extension?
Hey I have exact question can you please share your experience if you travelled ? Have they issued I94 based on your i797 extension ? Please share any information thanks.

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
Wanted to share my recent AVR experience while returning from Canada post-soft landing.

We traveled from Calgary to Denver with United Airlines. We went to the airport 4.5 hours before the scheduled departure time as we heard of many incidents where people spent several hours in getting boarding passes and going through CBP secondary inspection due to traveling on expired US visa. However, our experience was mostly smooth.

1. Boarding Pass: The airlines agent issued us boarding passes after I showed her the expired visa and valid I-797A approval notice for extension (which has a paper I-94 attached at the bottom). She had to call the United helpdesk though to make some fixes at the backend as the system wasn't initially allowing her to issue boarding passes with expired visa. Overall, we spent ~30 mins at the counter to get the boarding passes (we had anticipated a much longer wait time)

2. Security: There was hardly any queue in the security section (~15 mins)

3. CBP: The CBP pre-clearance process was the most seamless experience. I didn't even have to tell the officer that I want to use AVR. I just presented the passport and I-797A extension approval notice. Since the expired visa was on my old passport, I gave him both new and old passports for review. He put an entry stamp on my new passport with admit until date matching the end date on I-797A and paper I-94. He also told me to detach the paper I-94 from the I-797A approval notice and staple it with the passport. When I checked the CBP website later, my online I-94 record had been updated with the latest arrival date and new admit until date. This is a new I-94 # (different from the paper I-94 #) and it reflects my new passport details

Note:
  • Although I was carrying AVR guideline printouts from the CBP and travel.state.gov websites, I didn't have to show these either to the airlines agent at Calgary or CBP officer as they seemed quite familiar with the rules
  • I was also carrying my employment proof letter, recent paystubs and marriage certificate (as my wife is on dependent visa). None of those were required but it's better to carry those just to be safe
  • The CBP officer didn't ask me any additional questions such as purpose of my trip to Canada, duration of stay etc. but I was prepared to answer those questions
  • While flying from Denver to Calgary (with United), the airlines agent wanted to check if I would be able to return to the US on expired visa. She wasn't familiar with the AVR rule but another agent checked my I-797A and asked her to issue the boarding passes immediately
I hope this helps others who're planning their soft landing or general trips to Canada on expired US visa using AVR. Thanks everyone who contributed to this forum earlier with their experiences and valuable tips!

Reactions: rkvarma

AnkithaP

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hi, I just travelled back from Toronto to US on valid H-1b Stamp expiring on Aug, 2022. I have H-1B extension approval valid till Aug, 2025. I just checked my I-94 online after the immigration process at toronto airport and observed that my I-94 says admitted till Aug, 2022.

1. Should I call DHS or CBP to correct the admission date in I-94 to August, 2025 ?
2. Should I be worried to be staying in USA after August this year ? Or would I-94 attached to my H-1 Extension approval gets activated after August ?
3. Can I travel again to Canada after August, 2022 using AVR option and safely return back to US ?

I am worried about 1 and 2 points right now. Please provide any known guidance on this topic as there are very conflicting conversations on this one. Thanks for any information passed.

shri.ca

Sep 14, 2020
Hi, I just travelled back from Toronto to US on valid H-1b Stamp expiring on Aug, 2022. I have H-1B extension approval valid till Aug, 2025. I just checked my I-94 online after the immigration process at toronto airport and observed that my I-94 says admitted till Aug, 2022.

1. Should I call DHS or CBP to correct the admission date in I-94 to August, 2025 ?
2. Should I be worried to be staying in USA after August this year ? Or would I-94 attached to my H-1 Extension approval gets activated after August ?
3. Can I travel again to Canada after August, 2022 using AVR option and safely return back to US ?

I am worried about 1 and 2 points right now. Please provide any known guidance on this topic as there are very conflicting conversations on this one. Thanks for any information passed.

I was in a similar situation except that I got I-94 based on previous I-797 via land border crossing. I called CBP helpline and also called the Port of Entry(POE). You can try one of two things : 1) Visit CBP Deferred Inspection site to get updated / corrected I-94. 2) Cross the border, request CBP to use appropriate I-797 and give I-94 of proper validity.
In my case, I did the second one. They asked me to go for secondary inspection, during which they updated the system and made I-94 effective until latest I-797 approval.

AnkithaP

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
I was in a similar situation except that I got I-94 based on previous I-797 via land border crossing. I called CBP helpline and also called the Port of Entry(POE). You can try one of two things : 1) Visit CBP Deferred Inspection site to get updated / corrected I-94. 2) Cross the border, request CBP to use appropriate I-797 and give I-94 of proper validity.
In my case, I did the second one. They asked me to go for secondary inspection, during which they updated the system and made I-94 effective until latest I-797 approval.
Thanks alot for your reply. One more question, would it be a problem if I leave it as is ? Can I still stay in US after August, 2022 if left as is ?

shri.ca

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks alot for your reply. One more question, would it be a problem if I leave it as is ? Can I still stay in US after August, 2022 if left as is ?
I will recommend checking out with CBP (1877 227-5511 ) to be on the safer side. If upon entry into US after new I-797 is issued, the I-94 # (also referred as emission number by CBP) may change requiring you to step out of US and re-enter with new I-94. You can also use AVR as long as your old visa is not cancelled (which typically happens when you are issued a new one).

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
Your I94 changes only when your passport gets stamped at the border. Typically they dont stamp at land border crossing. If it did not get stamped your I94 remains the same and as long as you have an approved I797 with a later date, you need not worry. I have done this a couple of times with no issues. Only on one occasion did the officer at the border stamp my passport (and charge a stamping fee per passport) and when I checked my I94 it changed to the new I797 though I did not have the visa reflecting the new I797 stamped on my passport.

tuchie30

Sep 17, 2022
Hi everyone,
I am so grateful for this wonderful community.
I just got my COPR. It expires in April 2023. I am currently on H1B in USA with a valid i797 and only an expired F1 stamp on my passport ( no previous H1B stamp in passport). Also, I have recently renewed my passport, so the expired F1 stamp is on my previous passport. I am soon planning to do a soft landing at via the Niagara Rainbow Bridge and then return back to US the next day using AVR. Has anyone been in a similar situation recently? I am specifically worried about any challenges that could occur during AVR. I would really appreciate your inputs.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi everyone,
I am so grateful for this wonderful community.
I just got my COPR. It expires in April 2023. I am currently on H1B in USA with a valid i797 and only an expired F1 stamp on my passport ( no previous H1B stamp in passport). Also, I have recently renewed my passport, so the expired F1 stamp is on my previous passport. I am soon planning to do a soft landing at via the Niagara Rainbow Bridge and then return back to US the next day using AVR. Has anyone been in a similar situation recently? I am specifically worried about any challenges that could occur during AVR. I would really appreciate your inputs.
Few people with same scenario has done this and there would be no issues as long as you carry all your documents. Good luck !!

sk_reddy

Feb 8, 2021
Hi All,
I have my H1-B approved. Applied for extension, which is under process. Can I still travel to Canada and come back using AVR ?
(No H1B stamping yet in my passport, converted from F1 to H1 in 2020. Received Canada PR in 2022.)
Any leads would be of great help ?