+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All,
I have my H1-B approved. Applied for extension, which is under process. Can I still travel to Canada and come back using AVR ?
(No H1B stamping yet in my passport, converted from F1 to H1 in 2020. Received Canada PR in 2022.)
Any leads would be of great help ?
Till how long do you have your current H1??
Yes, you can use AVR if you have already got your receipt number. thats fine. If its very important you can take the chances. Unless, if you are in normal processing and by chance if you get an RFE(for someother reason) then that may trigger of you travelling outside when petition is in progress otherwise you are good.

sk_reddy

Feb 8, 2021
Till how long do you have your current H1??
Yes, you can use AVR if you have already got your receipt number. thats fine. If its very important you can take the chances. Unless, if you are in normal processing and by chance if you get an RFE(for someother reason) then that may trigger of you travelling outside when petition is in progress otherwise you are good.
Thanks swan0206.

My current H1 is valid till Oct 2023. But my employer applied for an early extension. I do have the receipt for my application which is in progress.
My only concern was if I will be ale to use AVR since my application was in progress and I have change of status from F1 to H1 and did not travel out of country after change of status.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks swan0206.

My current H1 is valid till Oct 2023. But my employer applied for an early extension. I do have the receipt for my application which is in progress.
My only concern was if I will be ale to use AVR since my application was in progress and I have change of status from F1 to H1 and did not travel out of country after change of status.
No issue if there is a change of status as people have been doing soft landings with similar change of statuses. As i have mentioned earlier, if your trip is not that important better to hold off. If its really important and you do have to come to Canada then travel. Even after your extension getting approved you are going to re-enter via AVR on the same status right. So its your call.

ps:may i know how can you apply early extension? i know we can do it only 6months before your expiry? Any special scenario would make us eligible for this?

sk_reddy

Feb 8, 2021
No issue if there is a change of status as people have been doing soft landings with similar change of statuses. As i have mentioned earlier, if your trip is not that important better to hold off. If its really important and you do have to come to Canada then travel. Even after your extension getting approved you are going to re-enter via AVR on the same status right. So its your call.

ps:may i know how can you apply early extension? i know we can do it only 6months before your expiry? Any special scenario would make us eligible for this?
Thanks for your response.
Regarding Extension: I had a change of job, so had to file for an amendment, hence my employer had also filed for an extension along with the amendment.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for your response.
Regarding Extension: I had a change of job, so had to file for an amendment, hence my employer had also filed for an extension along with the amendment.
ok got it. So if its a job change and while you use AVR you might not want to tell the cbp about new location/new job as the new petition is under process still. This would have worked if you were already a frequent traveller but because you are doing it for the first time, there might be extra questions which you should be careful while answering. Its better if you go with premium and then travel with new i797 if its real urgent.

Last edited:

sk_reddy

Feb 8, 2021
ok got it. So if its a job change and while you use AVR you might not want to tell the cbp about new location/new job as the new petition is under process still. This would have worked if you were already a frequent traveller but because you are doing it for the first time, there might be extra questions which you should be careful while answering. Its better if you go with premium and then travel with new i797 if its real urgent.
Got It.
Thank you

fn21

Oct 6, 2022
Hi All,

Would really appreciate some help. I have a visa appointment booked in Canada for 26th Jan 2023 - I am however travelling to Canada for my soft landing sometime in November for a week. I just want to be sure if I can use AVR in this situation. I am confused with the clause - "AVR cannot be used when you have a pending visa interview".

I have an expired F1 visa, currently on H1B - with i797A and no stamp.

If someone has been in a similar situation please do reply as well - would provide me some peace of mind :)

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
Thanks @harirajmohan .....
I didn't start...I'm in early stages...gathering all the information regarding daily commuting....I need to take decision about the employer change based on those...
I'm moving to Windsor in 2 weeks, and currently, my visa stamp is expired. My new i797 A notice is valid until 09/2025 but my passport is expiring next October (10/2023). So, I'm thinking to use the AVR option every weekday until I apply for a visa stamp in Canada (dropbox) how was your experience? Thank you in advance.

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
Hi all, I'm currently employed full-time and have my current employer's I-797 A valid until 09/2025. and I want to use AVR for border crossing as my visa stamp is expired. But, my H1B transfer petition to a new employer is also pending due to RFE now. So, is it safe to use AVR while your other petition is pending? would it flag at the border crossing or something? has anyone done this before? Thanks!

pk2711

Jan 15, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone recently traveled to Canada / Toronto in past few months where there 797 is approved but their H1B stamp on the passport is expired? Do we need any documents other than the 797 and employment letter?

I need to travel to Canada to complete my PR landing formalities, and I was thinking of traveling for right under 30 days. 29 days to be precise. PLEASE let me know. My attorney says I can but I just want to see if anyone on this group has recently done this. THANK YOU!!!!

pk2711

Jan 15, 2020
Hi All,

Would really appreciate some help. I have a visa appointment booked in Canada for 26th Jan 2023 - I am however travelling to Canada for my soft landing sometime in November for a week. I just want to be sure if I can use AVR in this situation. I am confused with the clause - "AVR cannot be used when you have a pending visa interview".

I have an expired F1 visa, currently on H1B - with i797A and no stamp.

If someone has been in a similar situation please do reply as well - would provide me some peace of mind :)

Thank you in advance
Hello, can you tell me when did you apply to the consulate to get a date of Jan 2023? And is this Toronto / Ottawa or others? I am not able to find any date prior to Q4 2023. I am also confused about ARV. Do you have a link which says ARV can't be used with a pending visa interview?

fn21

Oct 6, 2022
Hello, can you tell me when did you apply to the consulate to get a date of Jan 2023? And is this Toronto / Ottawa or others? I am not able to find any date prior to Q4 2023. I am also confused about ARV. Do you have a link which says ARV can't be used with a pending visa interview?
Around June and kept checking frequently everyday hoping to get lucky. It was in Ottawa.