+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

veemi002

Jan 28, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have valid H1B approved petition and visa stamping till Mar 2023. My wife has valid H1B approved petition till Feb 2023 but current stamped H1B visa with same employer is expired already. My kid has valid H4 approved petition till Feb 2023 (kid is my wife's dependent currently) and my kid stamped H4 visa expired already and visa was stamped when he was dependent under my H1B and that H1b was held by my previous employer.

Ultimately both my wife and kid have H1B & H4 approved petitions with valid I94 till Feb 2023.

Below are my queries for AVR eligibility for Canada PR soft landing and come back to US.

- I dont see any issue for my wife AVR as she has I94 valid till Feb 2023 with expired stamped visa with the same employer. Please confirm.
- Please clarify whether my kid also eligible for AVR as he has H4 I94 valid till Feb 2023 but his stamped h4 visa expired in 2018 and the stamped visa is tagged to my previous employer H1B as he was my H4 dependent when his last visa stamped and then moved under my wife's dependent since 2019 and have only approved petitions with I94 till Feb 2023.

Basically my questions is about whether H4's expired visa should tagged to current H1B primary applicant and also match with H1B's expired visa and H1B's current employer? Please clarify.

alex1464

Mar 8, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I was recently approved for Canadian PR and I am planning to do soft landing at the end of March or early April to activate my PR.

I currently live in US and I have a valid H1B i797. I entered US on B2 (Visit Visa) and changed my status from B2 to F1 and later to H1B but never exited from US. I am planning to use AVR to return back to US after activating my Canadian PR.

I have questions/queries on following:

- Can I use AVR to come back to US using my valid H1B i797?
- Does it make difference to go by air or road? If so, what is favorable option considering my scenario.

Thanks,
Alex

akshayde

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to travel to Toronto for soft landing in end of April and planning to come back on avr to US. I was recently told by an immigration attorney that AVR on land border is lot less problematic and easier than the airport? Is that the case? Has anyone recently done avr at Toronto airport for F1 ? if yes would love to learn what was the process and what was the experience?

Also if done at land border, is there a means of transportation available other than cars to travel from buffalo to YYZ? I checked out rental options and they are too expensive. I also couldnt find pick up at one and drop off at other location option. I am guessing Uber is not allowed because of international borders.

Also any airline to avoid from AVR perspective? I am planning to fly on April 15th.

tsv

Feb 14, 2021
Need help with AVR while H4 in pending.

I have to apply for h1b visa renewal and h4 visa renewal. My express entry PR application is under process. There is a possibility that I will receive COPR while my h1 extension is pending. So there might be a situation where COPR is expiring but I might not be able to travel while extension is pending.

For h1b, I can do premium processing and gett i-797. That will also give me new i-94 and i can use that for AVR. HOWEVER, H4 visa will not go under premium processing. So extension might be pending. Can my wife use my h1b I 797 A and H4 expired stamp to reenter the US?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Need help with AVR while H4 in pending.

I have to apply for h1b visa renewal and h4 visa renewal. My express entry PR application is under process. There is a possibility that I will receive COPR while my h1 extension is pending. So there might be a situation where COPR is expiring but I might not be able to travel while extension is pending.

For h1b, I can do premium processing and gett i-797. That will also give me new i-94 and i can use that for AVR. HOWEVER, H4 visa will not go under premium processing. So extension might be pending. Can my wife use my h1b I 797 A and H4 expired stamp to reenter the US?
Nope, your wife cannot use your H1b i797 to re-enter US. She has to have her valid i94/an approved H4. Rather check for a visa appointment slot in those dates prior so that it would be easier for you to get her H4 stamped while entering back.

veemi002

Jan 28, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I was recently approved for Canadian PR and I am planning to do soft landing at the end of March or early April to activate my PR.

I currently live in US and I have a valid H1B i797. I entered US on B2 (Visit Visa) and changed my status from B2 to F1 and later to H1B but never exited from US. I am planning to use AVR to return back to US after activating my Canadian PR.

I have questions/queries on following:

- Can I use AVR to come back to US using my valid H1B i797?
- Does it make difference to go by air or road? If so, what is favorable option considering my scenario.

Thanks,
Alex
Hi Alex, did you find answers for your queries? Can you pls share your experience of soft landing and avr process utilization?

Thanks

veemi002

Jan 28, 2022
I have got CoPR and visa till Apr 28th, 2022 and I need to soft land on or before Apr 28th to activate my PR. My currently working in US in H1B visa. I have valid H1B visa stamping my passport but want to use AVR rule for my wife and kid while returning to US. Planning to visit detroit-windsor tunnel for PR activation and return to US in 2-3 days. I see multiple locations in Detroit, can someone suggest which one is better option or no differences based on location and I can go any location near to my place (Chicago)? Please suggest.

Windsor tunnel
(or)
Ambassador bridge
(or)
Blue water bridge

akc5247

Apr 13, 2022
hi,

Background on our situation below:

1/ Currently self/spouse have expired H1B/H4 stamp in passport; we have approved H-1B/H-4 notice with I-94 valid till 2024.
2/ Both myself and my wife have a EAD/AP combo cards. I also have interfiling in process to EB-2, but attorneys have confirmed that my EAD/AP is valid for travel (even though they recommend I still stay on H1B status)
3/ Kid (<2 years) is US Citizen.

Both wife's and kid's passports are pending and no updates on CoPR but I received the updated communication from CIC that shows new CoPR expires Oct 2022. (this is our second CoPR, first one expired In 2020, peak covid during travel ban).

Thanks for reading this far.

Below are my questions, asking since I couldn't find this scenario discussed at least in the last 12 months here (please point me if I missed any threads).

1/ Given that our US GC (interfiling) is in process, we are still planning to try to do soft landing via road (once stamped passports are received). Will there be any issues to utilize AVR in this scenario?
2/ What kind of questions can we anticipate if we do soft landing and return in 1-2 days at border agents on both sides (given we are last stage in US GC)? anything specific to be prepared for?
3/ Received the PR approval through OINP (Ontario PNP) program. We will be doing soft landing in the border close to NY. But anything specific to be aware of (and expect officers to ask about) given that the PR approval was through PNP?

Any other pointers from someone who has been through this situation and can provide some feedback/ guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Tara

Star Member
Jan 15, 2009
As far as the process goes, your interfiling has nothing to do with Canadian side of things. In my opinion, you have a backup of coming back with AP in case any trouble with AVR. And I also think there should not be any trouble using AVR in the first place. You have backup, you should feel good about it.

hi,

Background on our situation below:

1/ Currently self/spouse have expired H1B/H4 stamp in passport; we have approved H-1B/H-4 notice with I-94 valid till 2024.
2/ Both myself and my wife have a EAD/AP combo cards. I also have interfiling in process to EB-2, but attorneys have confirmed that my EAD/AP is valid for travel (even though they recommend I still stay on H1B status)
3/ Kid (<2 years) is US Citizen.

Both wife's and kid's passports are pending and no updates on CoPR but I received the updated communication from CIC that shows new CoPR expires Oct 2022. (this is our second CoPR, first one expired In 2020, peak covid during travel ban).

Thanks for reading this far.

Below are my questions, asking since I couldn't find this scenario discussed at least in the last 12 months here (please point me if I missed any threads).

1/ Given that our US GC (interfiling) is in process, we are still planning to try to do soft landing via road (once stamped passports are received). Will there be any issues to utilize AVR in this scenario?
2/ What kind of questions can we anticipate if we do soft landing and return in 1-2 days at border agents on both sides (given we are last stage in US GC)? anything specific to be prepared for?
3/ Received the PR approval through OINP (Ontario PNP) program. We will be doing soft landing in the border close to NY. But anything specific to be aware of (and expect officers to ask about) given that the PR approval was through PNP?

Any other pointers from someone who has been through this situation and can provide some feedback/ guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Reactions: akc5247

akc5247

Apr 13, 2022
As far as the process goes, your interfiling has nothing to do with Canadian side of things. In my opinion, you have a backup of coming back with AP in case any trouble with AVR. And I also think there should not be any trouble using AVR in the first place. You have backup, you should feel good about it.
Thank you Tara. Much appreciated.

We are just waiting for my wife/kid's passports from CIC/IRCC at this point. Interestingly they sent mine last week, not sure what the delay is for the dependents. I have reached out via the webform but I know it is a hit/miss with getting responses.

akshayde

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey all,

I recently (last to last Saturday to be precise) traveled to Toronto to get my PR stamped and came back to the US (last Friday) on expired F-1 but valid I20 and I94 on AVR. The process as such was smooth. The airline personnel at the counter wasn't very much aware about the AVR process and asked questions such as why don't you go to India to renew your visa. Being on F-1 my I94 has a D/S stamp which means the duration of status, so had to explain that to her. Please carry a printout of the AVR from travel.gov so that you can show that to the person at the counter. I was very clear about what I wanted. So finally she called someone and gave me the boarding pass after asking for my US address.

With the immigration official, it was pretty straightforward. He asked me, why am I going to the US? I said I am studying there. He asked for my I20, passport, and asked when did I land in Canada? Then he asked are you looking for a revalidation? I said yes, please. He then stamped my passport, asked me to scan my boarding pass, and said you are free to go :)

I was definitely nervous and scared since my F-1 expired in 2015, but it happened smoothly. Just be confident and calm in front of the official especially since they should not get a feeling that something is different through your body language. I can totally understand the feeling but being calm will make the process very smooth :)

Hope this helps! Wishing anyone planning to do AVR success!

akshayde

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey all,

I recently (last to last Saturday to be precise) traveled to Toronto to get my PR stamped and came back to the US (last Friday) on expired F-1 but valid I20 and I94 on AVR. The process as such was smooth. The airline personnel at the counter wasn't very much aware about the AVR process and asked questions such as why don't you go to India to renew your visa. Being on F-1 my I94 has a D/S stamp which means the duration of status, so had to explain that to her. Please carry a printout of the AVR from travel.gov so that you can show that to the person at the counter. I was very clear about what I wanted. So finally she called someone and gave me the boarding pass after asking for my US address.

With the immigration official, it was pretty straightforward. He asked me, why am I going to the US? I said I am studying there. He asked for my I20, passport, and asked when did I land in Canada? Then he asked are you looking for a revalidation? I said yes, please. He then stamped my passport, asked me to scan my boarding pass, and said you are free to go :)

I was definitely nervous and scared since my F-1 expired in 2015, but it happened smoothly. Just be confident and calm in front of the official especially since they should not get a feeling that something is different through your body language. I can totally understand the feeling but being calm will make the process very smooth :)

Hope this helps! Wishing anyone planning to do AVR success!
oh btw I traveled through Air Canada

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
Hi All,

Could you please advise me when I should plan for Canada soft landing from the US given my situation:
  • COPR: Valid till Nov 2022
  • L1 visa stamp: Valid till Jun 2022
  • I-94 on I-797 (approved L1 extension): Valid till Jun 2024
I have two options:
  1. Soft landing before the L1 visa stamp gets expired (i.e. by Jun 2022). In that case, while re-entering the US, will CBP issue a new I-94 matching the end date of paper I-94 on I-797 (i.e. Jun 2024)? Or, they might issue an I-94 valid only till the visa stamp expiry date (i.e. Jun 2022)?
  2. Use AVR (automatic visa revalidation) after the visa stamp gets expired (i.e. post Jun 2022) as I have a valid I-797 and I-94 till Jun 2024. Is there any risk with this route?
Please let me know which option seems better and if there's a clear CBP guideline for issuing I-94s in case of Option 1.

Appreciate your inputs!

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
Has anyone traveled with a valid visa stamp and approved extension (I-797 + I-94) while returning from Canada to US? If yes, please help me with the queries below based on your experience:

1. Did CBP at port of entry admit you only till the visa stamp expiry date or through the extension period as per I-797 approval notice?
2. If it was only till the visa stamp expiry date, can it cause any problem with lawful stay beyond that date invalidating the already approved extension?