+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
IRCC staff started working from home too, I’m sure they don’t have the capabilities and technologies as the private sector does. They too went on a learning curve by working from home. I imagine having thousands and thousands of paper applications just sitting there waiting for processing.

The real issue here is that IRCC was already behind citizenship applications even before the pandemic started.. that’s why they are “processing” April 2019 applicants!! Coupled with the pandemic, the perfect receipt for disaster and excuses on top of excuses…

Also, the problem is Trudeau and his clown office and his ambitions to bring in a million PRs in such a short period of time when IRCC don’t have the capabilities, resources and adequate technology investments to absorbs all the immigration programs!! I think a lot of Citizenship officers were reallocated to processing PR, Temp visas application and hence, citizenship processing times slowed down to the point we are today.
No offence, but because of that Clown govt. there are thousands of people immigrate here, and that may include you too.

its just a perspective of everyone, when you were applying/applied for immigration whatever the category of your choice, you never thought/care of citizenship process but focused on getting thorough of your immigration process faster but now that you are in citizenship boat you only care about your category not others. Be patient, your turn will come soon.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Re; This is for my in-laws

I have enquired thorough local MP office, they said, everything is good, background/security checks have been completed no issue, no test due to age limit, file sent to Scarborough office and don't know the time period because of lockdown they may be working from home etc. only thing is left is oath which they may be virtual as they did it last time with success so they are thinking to do the same. MP office also asked me to call their office back if I don't hear anything in 4 weeks.
so I guess connecting MP office is faster than ordering GCMS notes the results might be same.

Reactions: safety008

safety008

Sep 1, 2015
Re; This is for my in-laws

I have enquired thorough local MP office, they said, everything is good, background/security checks have been completed no issue, no test due to age limit, file sent to Scarborough office and don't know the time period because of lockdown they may be working from home etc. only thing is left is oath which they may be virtual as they did it last time with success so they are thinking to do the same. MP office also asked me to call their office back if I don't hear anything in 4 weeks.
so I guess connecting MP office is faster than ordering GCMS notes the results might be same.
Hi,
May I know, in your opinion, what time would be a good time to contact the local MP? I feel hesitant to do that as I know MPs should be busy as well.
Thanks

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well those new immigration programs were just announced so I am not sure what exactly was holding them back pre-pandemic and in-pandemic.
Volume of applications especially in dense immigrant populated areas like GTA and shortage of personnel and budget.

The pandemic only made it worse for us.

marcusvfm2

Star Member
Mar 29, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
07/12/2017
AOR Received.
09/03/2017
Med's Done....
08/01/2017
@marcusvfm2 was the urgent processing approved once it reached your local office or approval was from Sydney?
Also when did you requested the urgent processing? After AOR?
Hi,

It was approved by the officer that is reviewing my application. I requested it on March 15th (AOR was Feb) and got the approval on Friday.

marcusvfm2

Star Member
Mar 29, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
07/12/2017
AOR Received.
09/03/2017
Med's Done....
08/01/2017
Did they send you an email to confirm that your application was accepted for urgent processing? How long did it take after submitting the webform to receive it?
They sent an e-mail saying they were sending it to the officer about 4 weeks ago, on Friday, I called IRCC on Friday as I didn't hear anything from them and was told that it was approved on that same day.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
If you look at Canada's public finances closely, you will realize the country needs immigrants. Desperately. Immigration is a 2-way street, Canada needs productive immigrants just as badly as immigrants want to come here for a better quality of life than their home countries. Take immigrants away, and given the current birth rate in Canada, our fabled social net rapidly looks like a house of cards.

Canada also desperately needs tax rates to go up. Notice Chrystia Freeland's joy when the Biden administration talked about OECD countries stepping back from competing on taxes. I'm not saying all of this to be critical of Canada, but it's worth noting that the Canadian economy is uncompetitive across a range of metrics. Immigration is one of the few bright spots.

On the process, it should not be a choice between PR and citizenship applications. IRCC needs to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

No offence, but because of that Clown govt. there are thousands of people immigrate here, and that may include you too.

its just a perspective of everyone, when you were applying/applied for immigration whatever the category of your choice, you never thought/care of citizenship process but focused on getting thorough of your immigration process faster but now that you are in citizenship boat you only care about your category not others. Be patient, your turn will come soon.

May 4, 2021
Hi there,

I'm an August 2020 applicant from Vancouver and I received an invite to do the Online Citizenship Test which I took on the 2nd of May. I got the results after I hit submit, however I never received an email with my results, nor confirmation on whether or not I submitted the test. Did anyone else go through the same? Is this going to be an issue?
Also, how long between the test and getting the invite to take the Oath?

I'm just worried because it seems like a last hurdle in the process and I don't wanna screw it up.

Thank you so much for you time. :):)

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
If you look at Canada's public finances closely, you will realize the country needs immigrants. Desperately. Immigration is a 2-way street, Canada needs productive immigrants just as badly as immigrants want to come here for a better quality of life than their home countries. Take immigrants away, and given the current birth rate in Canada, our fabled social net rapidly looks like a house of cards.

Canada also desperately needs tax rates to go up. Notice Chrystia Freeland's joy when the Biden administration talked about OECD countries stepping back from competing on taxes. I'm not saying all of this to be critical of Canada, but it's worth noting that the Canadian economy is uncompetitive across a range of metrics. Immigration is one of the few bright spots.

On the process, it should not be a choice between PR and citizenship applications. IRCC needs to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Canada's immigration overpromises lots of benefits by immigrating to Canada, but the reality is completely different when you arrive here. The labor market is distorted, there are limited opportunities in many fields across industries, and the Companies do not recognize foreign education or work experience. That's why you see thousands of professionals working in survival jobs because they need to get retrained in order to make a competitive wage rate. And I can assure you that a lot of the immigrants are even more educated than the Canadian counterparts but they are overlooked by the companies just because they are foreign-trained.

So to counter your argument, I agree that Canada needs immigrants, just like the United States, Australia, UK etc. But Canada needs to do a better job at integrating new immigrants into the labor markets, and companies need to provide opportunities beyond the hierarchy that is established here in order to let immigrants thrive.

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016

@starzibal I did not immigrate to Canada because of the Clown government of Trudeau, I immigrated by my own means, education, and work experience. I would’ve qualified for immigration regardless of which government was in power. It just happened to be Trudeau, unfortunately.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Fair points. The reality is Canada's economy is a one trick pony, and lacks depth and diversity, and is hopelessly behind on innovation compared to the US. The main attraction for highly educated immigrants is the quick path to PR + passport, not professional opportunity. On the flip side, Canada is certainly a kinder society than the US.

Canada's immigration overpromises lots of benefits by immigrating to Canada, but the reality is completely different when you arrive here. The labor market is distorted, there are limited opportunities in many fields across industries, and the Companies do not recognize foreign education or work experience. That's why you see thousands of professionals working in survival jobs because they need to get retrained in order to make a competitive wage rate. And I can assure you that a lot of the immigrants are even more educated than the Canadian counterparts but they are overlooked by the companies just because they are foreign-trained.

So to counter your argument, I agree that Canada needs immigrants, just like the United States, Australia, UK etc. But Canada needs to do a better job at integrating new immigrants into the labor markets, and companies need to provide opportunities beyond the hierarchy that is established here in order to let immigrants thrive.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Companies do not recognize foreign education or work experience. That's why you see thousands of professionals working in survival jobs because they need to get retrained
Looks like there are two different Canadas? I have lots of friends and their family members spread across GTA, Montreal and Greater Vancouver areas. I have yet to come across anyone who are into survival jobs. Average time to get a job as a new comer has been between 1 to 4 months with existing qualifications and work exp - from their home country. I am referring to the following sectors where they are based: Banking (Finance - like Wealth Management, Operations, Compliance), Software (Developers, Manual QA, Automation QA), and someone who got a starter position in Pharma and Designing. Salaries are not as competitive as USA, but far better than their home countries. I like to talk a lot with people who work in Cafe's like Tim's and Pizza shops - all of them are students and new comers to Canada with 0/intern experience from their home countries. In my 4 years living in 3 major cities, I have yet to come across anyone (professional) working at a survival job! Ofcourse that's not to say that there are none...I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands (from the millions of immigrants) who are qualified professionals but working at coffee shops. That could be out of choice or maybe they are not trying hard enough or not up to the level needed. But just because they are not getting jobs, and then having a general assumption that "Companies do not recognize foreign education or work experience" is not fair. This is a wrong statement and can potentially mislead others.

@novascotia27 - Its thanks to this "clown government" that the wait times for Citizenship got reduced from 4 to 3 years. Ask any future PR applicants (within Canada or otherwise) who are eagerly waiting for the monthly draws - what they think of this "clown government" considering they recently upped their immigration targets massively. Canada is a democratic country with fair election processes - which got Trudeau elected for back to back terms. Its obvious that majority of Canadians attest to the work done by the Trudeau govt. Atleast have some respect for the peoples mandate. Its one thing to criticize their policies and totally another by calling the government (meaning the people running the PMO) names.

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Looks like there are two different Canadas? I have lots of friends and their family members spread across GTA, Montreal and Greater Vancouver areas. I have yet to come across anyone who are into survival jobs. Average time to get a job as a new comer has been between 1 to 4 months with existing qualifications and work exp - from their home country. I am referring to the following sectors where they are based: Banking (Finance - like Wealth Management, Operations, Compliance), Software (Developers, Manual QA, Automation QA), and someone who got a starter position in Pharma and Designing. Salaries are not as competitive as USA, but far better than their home countries. I like to talk a lot with people who work in Cafe's like Tim's and Pizza shops - all of them are students and new comers to Canada with 0/intern experience from their home countries. In my 4 years living in 3 major cities, I have yet to come across anyone (professional) working at a survival job! Ofcourse that's not to say that there are none...I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands (from the millions of immigrants) who are qualified professionals but working at coffee shops. That could be out of choice or maybe they are not trying hard enough or not up to the level needed. But just because they are not getting jobs, and then having a general assumption that "Companies do not recognize foreign education or work experience" is not fair. This is a wrong statement and can potentially mislead others.

@novascotia27 - Its thanks to this "clown government" that the wait times for Citizenship got reduced from 4 to 3 years. Ask any future PR applicants (within Canada or otherwise) who are eagerly waiting for the monthly draws - what they think of this "clown government" considering they recently upped their immigration targets massively. Canada is a democratic country with fair election processes - which got Trudeau elected for back to back terms. Its obvious that majority of Canadians attest to the work done by the Trudeau govt. Atleast have some respect for the peoples mandate. Its one thing to criticize their policies and totally another by calling the government (meaning the people running the PMO) names.
@vvarma I'm speaking about the same Canada you are referring to.. and I am not wrong. Your information is only applicable to your circle of friends and family, and maybe some coworkers. I'm speaking for the vast majority of immigrants. Thank you for your input though.