Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
FSW-O
ITA: Aug 6, 2020
AOR Aug 18, 2020
COPR: Jan 31, 2022
Submitted my passport today.

One question. The COPR email says:
"Note that your status as a permanent resident in Canada is not finalized until you have landed in Canada.

You won’t be allowed to board your flight to Canada at this time."
If I can't travel to Canada at this time, then when would the time for calculating PR start running? If my status isn't finalized until I have landed, does that mean that theoretically I can land after 1 year and the PR would start running from that time?

Also, I tried the Wizard tool and according to it "Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry." - so which one is it? Will I be allowed to travel to Canada or not?

Reactions: Shir093

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
FSW-O
AOR Aug 18, 2020

"Note that your status as a permanent resident in Canada is not finalized until you have landed in Canada.

If I can't travel to Canada at this time, then when would the time for calculating PR start running? If my status isn't finalized until I have landed, does that mean that theoretically I can land after 1 year and the PR would start running from that time?

Also, I tried the Wizard tool and according to it "Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry." - so which one is it? Will I be allowed to travel to Canada or not?
You are an outland applicant and submitted your passport. You can't travel to Canada to land until you get your passport back with the Visa in it. The visa is good for a single entry, enough for you to "land" and have your status officially become a Permanent Resident.

So yes, the email is correct. You can't travel to Canada until you have both a Visa in your passport, and your COPR in hand.

Meighen2

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
You are an outland applicant and submitted your passport. You can't travel to Canada to land until you get your passport back with the Visa in it. The visa is good for a single entry, enough for you to "land" and have your status officially become a Permanent Resident.

So yes, the email is correct. You can't travel to Canada until you have both a Visa in your passport, and your COPR in hand.
Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it too self evident and they meant that I can't travel there due to covid restrictions..

Is there a timing limitation within which I must travel to Canada to "activate" my PR status? Like, would I need to travel there within 1 month of receiving my passport or am I allowed to do it at any time? If latter and if, say, I travel to Canada a year later, would the 5 year period for my PR start running from that time?

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it too self evident and they meant that I can't travel there due to covid restrictions..

Is there a timing limitation within which I must travel to Canada to "activate" my PR status? Like, would I need to travel there within 1 month of receiving my passport or am I allowed to do it at any time? If latter and if, say, I travel to Canada a year later, would the 5 year period for my PR start running from that time?
There should be an expiration date on your COPR.

boilercat

Star Member
Sep 16, 2020
FSW-O
AOR Aug 18, 2020

May I ask what’s your Visa office?

Shir093

Aug 5, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-08-2020
FSW-O
AOR Aug 18, 2020

Can you please help in answering some questions below:
From which country are you applying from?
Which NOC code?

Shir093

Aug 5, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-08-2020
Dear applicants,
I'm a FSW-O with AOR of August 2020 with no new updates from over a year.
Not even a re-meds request.
Is anyone else too in the same boat as I am?

Reactions: CarlCoco