+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***August 2019 AOR Tracking - join here***

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Hi guys! I am confused between the terms criminality check, security check and background check. Are all 3 different or do criminality and security come under the broader blanket of background check?
Generally, background = security + criminality.

However, different agents interpret it slightly differently. On the whole, it doesn't mean anything for us when we ask them because for me, criminality was in progress for 5 months and security took 1 day. I've seen people with criminality passing in a month and security in progress for months or not started till the end.

Avats

Oct 12, 2019
Generally, background = security + criminality.

However, different agents interpret it slightly differently. On the whole, it doesn't mean anything for us when we ask them because for me, criminality was in progress for 5 months and security took 1 day. I've seen people with criminality passing in a month and security in progress for months or not started till the end.
Oh ok! And is there any order in which this happens? I was reading online that background check begins only after your eligibility is met. However I know so many people (including myself) for whom eligibility is still pending but the background check is complete.

Please also tell what all is covered under eligibility that the background check doesn’t cover. I am asking because I want to get an estimate of how much work is still pending on my application.

Much appreciate your response!

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Oh ok! And is there any order in which this happens? I was reading online that background check begins only after your eligibility is met. However I know so many people (including myself) for whom eligibility is still pending but the background check is complete.

Please also tell what all is covered under eligibility that the background check doesn’t cover. I am asking because I want to get an estimate of how much work is still pending on my application.

Much appreciate your response!

Yeah, there's a "usual order" - it's Criminality, Eligibility and then Security. This is how most applications are expected to be processed, but it always doesn't happen in that order, or updates don't reach us in that order. Security was in "not started" for many people even on the day of PPR, this doesn't mean security didn't happen, rather that they just didn't update the status. It's not at all easy, or in my opinion wise, to guess your time left from these status updates from agents.

Eligibility is basically checking if you have met the program prerequisites under which you applied. This is in 2 stages 1 is MEC(Minimum Entry Criteria), that is, applicants must meet the program requirements of the FSW or CEC etc. Second part is CRS - You have to make sure your CRS points are above the cutoff for the draw in which you submitted.

Background consists of Criminality which is based on Police Clearance Certificates in which the you have lived for more than 6 months. Security is a different process and is done by a third party (CBSA) - takes into account number of countries visited, applicant country of residence and the political situation there, past law enforcement or military record etc. More serious stuff basically.

As you can see, they are very different things.

Avats

Oct 12, 2019
Thank you for your replies! They make a lot of sense and clear many doubts.

I understand that any guesses we make based on the information given to us by the agents are merely speculations and don’t reflect the actual status of our application but given the ambiguity of the entire process we can’t help but try to catch any information that throws any light on the process. Do you have any estimates with regards to how long the eligibility takes after the criminality and the background check are completed?

Thank you once again :)

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Thank you for your replies! They make a lot of sense and clear many doubts.

I understand that any guesses we make based on the information given to us by the agents are merely speculations and don’t reflect the actual status of our application but given the ambiguity of the entire process we can’t help but try to catch any information that throws any light on the process. Do you have any estimates with regards to how long the eligibility takes after the criminality and the background check are completed?

Thank you once again :)
Oh yes, I agree. I too made some guesses based on my progress and that of a few friends but everything turned out quite wrong for me honestly. I planned for a PPR in December but I didn't get it and I then pushed all my expectations to March, but got it in Jan. So.. I'm the worst person to ask.

Usually they eligibility is the most complicated one. Mine was met way back in October, but it still took months after that.

My personal advice would be to find out if you have any Review Required in your file and to make sure nothing is complicated - just give them a call if you've crossed 6 months already. If nothing is wrong with your application, then just sit tight for a while, as hard as it sounds.

Avats

Oct 12, 2019
Yeah my 6 month estimate got over on Feb 9th. I did call them a couple of days ago and the agent said that my criminality and background are finalised but eligibility was going on. She said no additional documents were required as of now and did not say anything about a review and it skipped my mind to ask about it as well. My VO is CPC Ottawa. I guess the best thing to do as you rightly said is to hang tight. :)

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Yeah my 6 month estimate got over on Feb 9th. I did call them a couple of days ago and the agent said that my criminality and background are finalised but eligibility was going on. She said no additional documents were required as of now and did not say anything about a review and it skipped my mind to ask about it as well. My VO is CPC Ottawa. I guess the best thing to do as you rightly said is to hang tight. :)
Ok that's good. But now that you've crossed 6 months, keep in touch with them. Call again after 2-3 weeks and make sure to ask if there's any review required. VO Ottawa is a good sign and you should hear back soon.

Other than that, relax, and take your mind off this as much as you can. If there are no issues with your application, there is nothing stopping it from getting approved. YOU GOT THIS!! :D

Avats

Oct 12, 2019
Yeah this forum is a huge help in times like these! Thank you once again and all the best to you too for your future plans!

callshaz

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
I got my ITA in September 2019 and my medical passed in October 2019.
I have a question. I have been legally separated from my first marriage and also happily married with my second. No kids on the first marriage and also got a letter from my eX wife stating that it is a mutual separation.
Will there be a delay in my application process, due to the separation? As my lawyers and many who I spoke to, stated that cases with divorce history, usually take a long time?
Any expert who can advise me on this?

Casatoor

Star Member
May 13, 2019
Hi guys,
I am the main applicant, end of January I have received ADR for my wife about PCC of a country where she lived for less than 06 months.
I have uploaded the document on the 14th Feb and today the status of the additional documents changed from : documents uploaded to Not applicable.

My questions:
_ from what I have seen usually it changes to we are reviewing your additional documents not to Not applicable, is it something to consider or not?
_As I am the main applicant is there a chance that my eligibility is passed and the Visa Officer wants to make sure that my wife criminality is clear ?

mparavindh

Feb 19, 2020
Hey Everyone, I received my GCMS notes yesterday and under assessment section it says RR for Eligibility and Security and Criminality not yet started. However when I read the notes at the bottom I'm not able find anything concerning. Looks like all my eligibility review is fine. Snapshots from my GCMS notes can be found in the below links:
https://ibb.co/XLZhTPd
https://ibb.co/YNg1YGS
https://ibb.co/zZsGV1N

Can someone throw some light on what's happening with my application ? Also I'm not able completely understand these notes. It would be great if someone can tell me how to read as well.

I'm a Outland PNP(Ontario) applicant and 9 more days left to reach the 6 month mark. And primary office is shown as New Delhi in my GCMS notes.

Thanks in advance

Abhijeet.katte

Dec 5, 2019
I've submitted my application on 24th August and passed Medical a few weeks after that and havent received any updates after that. However I've come to know that it now takes anywhere between 8 to 10 months for approval of application.

mparavindh

Feb 19, 2020
Hey
Your notes appear to suggest that you have a previous TRV refusal, is that right? I guess that may be the reason for review required. It doesn't mean it will have a negative impact on the application, but it may take some time to verify the situation and clear your eligibility. Apart from that I cannot see any concern either.

It is also normal for criminality and security not to start while eligibility is still ongoing.

The 6-month mark has no bearing on your application whatsoever. IRCC will never care about that date. Instead, they will just work at their own pace. Just look at the number of delayed cases and you will understand how normal it is for a case to go beyond 6 months..
Thanks so much, it definitely provided me with some clarity.

Reactions: baltzly