Hello everyone,
I am seeking advice and guidance from anyone who has experience with the Canadian refugee claim process, particularly those who have experienced delays or issues with their IRCC portal.
I am currently in Windsor, Ontario, and I would appreciate hearing from people who have gone through a similar situation.
Here is a summary of my situation:
I came to Canada in July 2026 and subsequently decided to make a refugee claim because I fear returning to my home country, Sierra Leone, due to persecution and discrimination related to my sexual orientation.
I retained an immigration lawyer to assist me with my refugee claim. Before hiring my lawyer, I had independently started an application through an online portal, but I did not complete or submit that application.
My lawyer later opened a new portal/application and submitted my refugee claim on my behalf. My understanding is that the lawyer is handling the application that is currently active.
My Basis of Claim (BOC) was submitted on August 15, 2026. I also submitted a correction to IRCC on August 27, 2026.
However, I have continued to experience uncertainty about the status of my application.
My main concerns are:
The uncertainty has been stressful, especially as I am trying to settle into a new country and understand the process while waiting for updates.
I would be grateful if anyone could share their experience or offer guidance on the following questions:
I understand that every refugee claim is different and that processing times can vary. I am not asking anyone to predict the outcome of my claim. I am simply looking for practical advice on how to verify that my application is properly recorded and what steps I can take while waiting.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any helpful information from people with similar experiences, knowledgeable forum members, or regulated Canadian immigration professionals would be greatly appreciated.
I am seeking advice and guidance from anyone who has experience with the Canadian refugee claim process, particularly those who have experienced delays or issues with their IRCC portal.
I am currently in Windsor, Ontario, and I would appreciate hearing from people who have gone through a similar situation.
Here is a summary of my situation:
I came to Canada in July 2026 and subsequently decided to make a refugee claim because I fear returning to my home country, Sierra Leone, due to persecution and discrimination related to my sexual orientation.
I retained an immigration lawyer to assist me with my refugee claim. Before hiring my lawyer, I had independently started an application through an online portal, but I did not complete or submit that application.
My lawyer later opened a new portal/application and submitted my refugee claim on my behalf. My understanding is that the lawyer is handling the application that is currently active.
My Basis of Claim (BOC) was submitted on August 15, 2026. I also submitted a correction to IRCC on August 27, 2026.
However, I have continued to experience uncertainty about the status of my application.
My main concerns are:
- The earlier incomplete application: I continue to receive messages relating to the portal I started myself but never completed. I am concerned that this earlier application may be causing confusion or affecting the application submitted by my lawyer.
- Medical appointment: As of October 10, 2026, I have not yet received my immigration medical examination appointment or instructions. I would like to know whether this is normal at this stage of the process.
- Application status: I have been unable to obtain clear confirmation of the current status of my claim through the online portal. I am concerned about whether the application submitted by my lawyer has been properly received and linked to my file.
- Work permit and SIN: I have not yet received my work permit or Social Insurance Number (SIN). This has made it difficult for me to plan my life, look for employment, and become financially independent in Canada.
- Communication with IRCC: I have already tried to raise my concerns with IRCC, but I am still looking for clarity about my application and the earlier incomplete portal.
The uncertainty has been stressful, especially as I am trying to settle into a new country and understand the process while waiting for updates.
I would be grateful if anyone could share their experience or offer guidance on the following questions:
- Has anyone experienced a situation where an incomplete online application continued to generate messages after a lawyer submitted a new refugee claim?
- Could an incomplete application affect or delay a separate claim submitted by a lawyer, or would IRCC normally treat them as separate records?
- How can I independently confirm that IRCC has received and properly recorded my lawyer’s submission?
- How long did you wait for your medical examination instructions after submitting your BOC?
- What steps should I take to clarify the status of my work permit application and determine whether I need to submit a separate application?
- Is there a particular IRCC office or official process I should use to resolve a possible duplicate or incomplete portal issue?
I understand that every refugee claim is different and that processing times can vary. I am not asking anyone to predict the outcome of my claim. I am simply looking for practical advice on how to verify that my application is properly recorded and what steps I can take while waiting.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any helpful information from people with similar experiences, knowledgeable forum members, or regulated Canadian immigration professionals would be greatly appreciated.
