+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

arriving in Canada before classes but after acquiring visa

raqibali

May 13, 2014
How much earlier a student can go to Canada after acquiring a visa? My classes will begin in September 2014 and I have already got a visa. Can I fly two and a half month before my classes even started?

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is not advised, because they won't probably let you in at the port of entry and they will ask you to come back later since your visa was given to you for studies which won't start until September, so the question will be why are you here 2 months earlier?

Best thing to do is go in early August.

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Neez said:
That is not advised, because they won't probably let you in at the port of entry and they will ask you to come back later since your visa was given to you for studies which won't start until September, so the question will be why are you here 2 months earlier?

Best thing to do is go in early August.
what if his visa valid from 2013 can he travel?

i have the same situation but had the visa in 2013 and want to travel now and stay 3 months and start my program at sep.2014

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
no more than 6 weeks,, I recommend 4 weeks prior to ur classes... two and half month is way too much,, they wont let u in

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stay 3 months and start my program at sep.2014
It is suspisious for a border officer. However, if you have enough funds for 3 months extra stay and a GOOD reason to come so early (without getting border officer suspisious that you are coming not to study but to work, for example) you could try

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
selimulated said:
what if his visa valid from 2013 can he travel?

i have the same situation but had the visa in 2013 and want to travel now and stay 3 months and start my program at sep.2014
A temporary resident visa is something and a study permit is something else, in most cases you will only get your passport with a visa but the study permit won't be issued until you are at a Canadian port of entry at which you'll be required to show your letter of acceptance which shows that the start of the program is September.

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Neez said:
A temporary resident visa is something and a study permit is something else, in most cases you will only get your passport with a visa but the study permit won't be issued until you are at a Canadian port of entry at which you'll be required to show your letter of acceptance which shows that the start of the program is September.
do you mean i can still go 3 months earlier? or i'll have to go in august?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
most cases you will only get your passport with a visa but the study permit won't be issued until you are at a Canadian port of entry at which you'll be required to show your letter of acceptance which shows that the start of the program is September.
Actually what you get in your passport is a visa for ENTRY only. When you get to POE you will get SP which is considered to be your TRV as well.

I know two cases (here on the forum) when two persons went early and one got SP , another was denied because on suspitions that she real purpose was not to study in Canada but just for a long visit of a friend.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Regina said:
Actually what you get in your passport is a visa for ENTRY only. When you get to POE you will get SP which is considered to be your TRV as well.

I know two cases (here on the forum) when two persons went early and one got SP , another was denied because on suspitions that she real purpose was not to study in Canada but just for a long visit of a friend.
If classes are from 1 sept then How many days before one can enter canada?

Satvir Singh

Star Member
Apr 5, 2014
Samrala,Punjab,India
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 07,2014
File Transfer...
09 May,2014
VISA ISSUED...
13/05/2014 Wahaguru
bro what is start date & end date of your visa written on Passport.

Satvir Singh

Star Member
Apr 5, 2014
Samrala,Punjab,India
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 07,2014
File Transfer...
09 May,2014
VISA ISSUED...
13/05/2014 Wahaguru
As rightly said Regina one can be two to three months earlier from his class date but you have show enough funds for this period because you cannot work there until your classes start.

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Satvir Singh said:
bro what is start date & end date of your visa written on Passport.
my visa on the passsport is valid from 9/2013 to 2017 can i travel with 10 days from now and stay there those 3 months before my studies?

raqibali

May 13, 2014
i initiated this thread and up to now, I have received mix reviews regarding my queery. I just thought to provide some more details regarding my case.
I applied for student visa in June 2013, during the processing, the embassy took unexpected long time to process my case. by the end of September, my visa was issued but my classes were started. The embassy asked me for a deferral letter and my university suggested that, you will be eligible next year in 2014. On 6 may I received a renewed admission letter and my classes are about to begin in September 2014. I am planning to travel by the end of the end of this month. My visa was stamped in 2013 but i was waiting for a renewed admission letter for fall 2014 intake. Can i travel 2.5 months before my classes in this situation? please advice. As i have already waited for 8 months despite having a valid visa to travel. Now I have a valid visa and official admission letter from a state university.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
raqibali said:
i initiated this thread and up to now, I have received mix reviews regarding my queery. I just thought to provide some more details regarding my case.
I applied for student visa in June 2013, during the processing, the embassy took unexpected long time to process my case. by the end of September, my visa was issued but my classes were started. The embassy asked me for a deferral letter and my university suggested that, you will be eligible next year in 2014. On 6 may I received a renewed admission letter and my classes are about to begin in September 2014. I am planning to travel by the end of the end of this month. My visa was stamped in 2013 but i was waiting for a renewed admission letter for fall 2014 intake. Can i travel 2.5 months before my classes in this situation? please advice. As i have already waited for 8 months despite having a valid visa to travel. Now I have a valid visa and official admission letter from a state university.
I told u, must not go more than 4 weeks before ur classes its risky,,, but u are eager to take risk go ahead may be there is one good IO and will issue u study permit but what if they send u back its total waste of money