+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 2017 - Citizenship Applicants

KT_2017

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
user3000 said:
Received US travel history from CBP, All the entries and exits were recorded correctly. Only thing is there were 2 outbound entries recorded for some reason on 1/30/2013 and 1/31/2013. I actually exited from US on 1/30/2013 but dropped the I-94 with the Airlines counter while boarding the flight. I'm thinking CBP might have entered the outbound record on 1/31/2013 based on I-94. Anyone had similar issue ?

I'm still waiting for Canadian entry/exit records from CBSA.
hi, I am planning to apply in April as well... couple questions:
1) is it necessary to request a Canadian entry/exit records from CBSA? I just learnt about this now by reading your post and it says it could take upto 30 days.
2) is it necessary to leave a buffer for few days in the physical presence calculations to be on the safe side? I guess it would be a good idea but does everyone do it?

thank you.

KT_2017

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
KT_2017 said:
1) is it necessary to request a Canadian entry/exit records from CBSA? I just learnt about this now by reading your post and it says it could take upto 30 days.
2) is it necessary to leave a buffer for few days in the physical presence calculations to be on the safe side? I guess it would be a good idea but does everyone do it?

thank you.
also, is anyone submitting police clearance from Canada as well along with the application?

zineb83

Oct 14, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For april applicants let help each other not to forget any details : i have an idea why we creat a list of things we should not forget as per others conversation like for example put the name on the pic with the dates , staff like that , We can avoided any stupid return application?! So please senior may help us as well

Reactions: Shaikhzees

Classical_beat

Champion Member
Oct 12, 2010
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
user3000 said:
Received US travel history from CBP, All the entries and exits were recorded correctly. Only thing is there were 2 outbound entries recorded for some reason on 1/30/2013 and 1/31/2013. I actually exited from US on 1/30/2013 but dropped the I-94 with the Airlines counter while boarding the flight. I'm thinking CBP might have entered the outbound record on 1/31/2013 based on I-94. Anyone had similar issue ?

I'm still waiting for Canadian entry/exit records from CBSA.
Hi user3000,

I was wondering why did you order US travel history from CBP? And how did you order that?

I will be also applying for the Citizenship in April.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Classical_beat said:
Hi user3000,

I was wondering why did you order US travel history from CBP? And how did you order that?

I will be also applying for the Citizenship in April.
I ordered CBP history because I was living 1.5 years in USA before moving to Canada permanently and had made couple of trips during that time with valid I94 using Automatic Visa Re-validation provision. Just wanted to see if CBP captured all my entry/exits correctly and was just being pro-active.

You can order online here https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate
Just create an account and then submit the request. Also attach the biographical page of the passports you used for US travel. They processed my request less than 30 days and attached the results in my account profile.

Classical_beat

Champion Member
Oct 12, 2010
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
user3000 said:
I ordered CBP history because I was living 1.5 years in USA before moving to Canada permanently and had made couple of trips during that time with valid I94 using Automatic Visa Re-validation provision. Just wanted to see if CBP captured all my entry/exits correctly and was just being pro-active.

You can order online here https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate
Just create an account and then submit the request. Also attach the biographical page of the passports you used for US travel. They processed my request less than 30 days and attached the results in my account profile.
Thanks!

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
Just a public service announcement for everyone in here from another hopeful April 2017 applicant...

Make sure you have a significant buffer on your physical presence calculation. I prepped my documents months ago. Circled the date on the calendar. And I mailed it off a few hours ago. And then I realized that the calculator hadn't saved one of my trips. Instead of being eligible yesterday, I'm not eligible until tomorrow. If I had a buffer, I could have corrected this with a letter at a later date. Instead, I have to deal with the prospect of having my application rejected.

I'm going to call CIC tomorrow and see what my options are. I assume I'll have to wait until they've received it, given me a case number, etc., and then withdraw the application. I'm hopeful that I can then file a correct application in April with all of you.

But please, PLEASE, don't make my mistake. Have a buffer. Triple check the forms. Have friends check it, too. Can't be too careful.

Classical_beat

Champion Member
Oct 12, 2010
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brad Smith said:
Just a public service announcement for everyone in here from another hopeful April 2017 applicant...

Make sure you have a significant buffer on your physical presence calculation. I prepped my documents months ago. Circled the date on the calendar. And I mailed it off a few hours ago. And then I realized that the calculator hadn't saved one of my trips. Instead of being eligible yesterday, I'm not eligible until tomorrow. If I had a buffer, I could have corrected this with a letter at a later date. Instead, I have to deal with the prospect of having my application rejected.

I'm going to call CIC tomorrow and see what my options are. I assume I'll have to wait until they've received it, given me a case number, etc., and then withdraw the application. I'm hopeful that I can then file a correct application in April with all of you.

But please, PLEASE, don't make my mistake. Have a buffer. Triple check the forms. Have friends check it, too. Can't be too careful.
oh dear! I hope your application doesn't get rejected.

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
Classical_beat said:
oh dear! I hope your application doesn't get rejected.
I hope so, too! I sent an express withdrawal letter today on the suggestion of the call centre explaining the reason for the withdrawal and asking for a return and refund. Hoping they get this and process it before the application.

In the meantime I am prepping revised paperwork for applying later in April once this withdrawal has processed. Crossing my fingers that I won't owe the $630 again, but bracing for it anyway.

Mississaugabuddy

Mar 30, 2017
Hi All April 2017 applicants-

I shall submit my application on April 10, 2017 with 1465 days and Mississauga. I hope we all shall sail smooth and fast.

KT_2017

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
KT_2017 said:

thank you.
reply anyone please?

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
KT_2017 said:
reply anyone please?
It's not *necessary* to do any of those things. That said...

1) If you don't have a good record of your entries and exits, I'd definitely recommend ordering your entry/exit records just to be sure. If you want to avoid that hassle, look at stamps in your passport, receipts and emails, and credit card bills over the last four years to identify times you are out of the country.

2) Read my post from a few days ago further up in the thread. While it's not necessary to leave a buffer, it's *strongly* recommended. Don't make the mistake I did. Remember that they can pull your entries into Canada, so if you've forgotten a trip... even if it's a short one... you could be in trouble and not actually eligible when you sign your application.

So here's what I recommend:
- If you don't have good records of your trips/absences over the required time period, order your entry/exit records. Yeah, it'll take a bit of time, but you can use that to build up a buffer.
- Apply with a buffer of minimum two weeks, preferably a month. If it takes you a month to get your entry/exit records, there's your month buffer.
- Triple check the citizenship calculator online to make sure it's saved everything. It's not the most user friendly thing in the world. The "Continue" button doesn't save new entries. You have to hit "Save" first. It's easy to make a mistake if you're working fast. So triple check it. In fact, I'd recommend writing it out somewhere else first, then entering it into the calculator, and comparing the two to make sure they match.

What you want to avoid is this situation: you've got all your trips — you think — including all the 1 day and couple day quick trips down to the states recorded. You submit your application, and they find an entry that doesn't match any one of your reported trips. Turns out you forgot to list that one 5-day road trip to the US you went on three years ago! Oops! If no buffer, you'll either have to withdraw your application or it will be denied. Either way you're likely going to lose the $630 and have to start the whole process over again.

Hope this helps.

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
And one more note about leaving a buffer... Even if you think you've got *everything* correct, there could still be some mistakes that swing things by a day on any given trip. Have you ever...

- Had a flight that was supposed to arrive late on one day, but got delayed until the next?
- Had a flight that landed at the end of one day, but didn't go through customs until after midnight?
- Taken a trip to the states but didn't realize you didn't cross the border back into Canada until 2am the next day?
- Had any delays/cancellations/rerouting of flights that caused you to spend an extra night somewhere that your flight receipts don't show?

Any of those things (and probably more I can't think of) could have easily happened and put your calculation off by a day on any trip. Have it happen on enough trips, and there goes even a week buffer without any effort. For example, in my calculations, I had a Cathay Pacific flight that landed back in Canada just before midnight each time. I took that flight 4 times. I guarantee you I didn't get processed as re-entering Canada until the next day each of those times. That's *four* extra days right there that you wouldn't think of if you just looked at your calendar/flight receipts.

This is not a big deal if you have a buffer, as anyone looking at your file is going to understand a discrepancy with arrivals right around midnight. But if you don't have a buffer, the physical presence test is incredibly strict. You either meet it or you don't.

So, again, *at least* two weeks buffer before mailing the application. Think of it this way, it's better to wait a few weeks than do what I did. I now might lose my fee, have to wait weeks (maybe a month) before my application is officially withdrawn, then pay and mail my application again. This will likely put me more than a month or so behind, plus possibly trigger extra scrutiny.

So, buffer it. :)

Classical_beat

Champion Member
Oct 12, 2010
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brad Smith said:
And one more note about leaving a buffer... Even if you think you've got *everything* correct, there could still be some mistakes that swing things by a day on any given trip. Have you ever...

- Had a flight that was supposed to arrive late on one day, but got delayed until the next?
- Had a flight that landed at the end of one day, but didn't go through customs until after midnight?
- Taken a trip to the states but didn't realize you didn't cross the border back into Canada until 2am the next day?
- Had any delays/cancellations/rerouting of flights that caused you to spend an extra night somewhere that your flight receipts don't show?

Any of those things (and probably more I can't think of) could have easily happened and put your calculation off by a day on any trip. Have it happen on enough trips, and there goes even a week buffer without any effort. For example, in my calculations, I had a Cathay Pacific flight that landed back in Canada just before midnight each time. I took that flight 4 times. I guarantee you I didn't get processed as re-entering Canada until the next day each of those times. That's *four* extra days right there that you wouldn't think of if you just looked at your calendar/flight receipts.

This is not a big deal if you have a buffer, as anyone looking at your file is going to understand a discrepancy with arrivals right around midnight. But if you don't have a buffer, the physical presence test is incredibly strict. You either meet it or you don't.

So, again, *at least* two weeks buffer before mailing the application. Think of it this way, it's better to wait a few weeks than do what I did. I now might lose my fee, have to wait weeks (maybe a month) before my application is officially withdrawn, then pay and mail my application again. This will likely put me more than a month or so behind, plus possibly trigger extra scrutiny.

So, buffer it. :)
Your post is very helpful. These little things can happen without crossing our mind. :)

I have some fundamental queries:

1. What size envelope did you use for sending the documents? Do these trivial things matter?

2. Did you photocopy your documents in A4 size paper? Such as PR Card or Confirmation of Permanent Resident (Longer than A4)

3. Did you use courier or regular mail? If courier then which one?