+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Supervisa within Canada

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
In your opinion,would the best option would then be to just re-apply for a fresh visa every 3 months as my mum needs to leave regularly to attend to her other business? It is a bit more pricey but since she will be leaving anyway and the processing times are way smaller, it probably makes the most sense?
She does not need to apply for a new visa every three months. She could get a TRV of a much longer validity the next time she applies if she proves she is a short stay visitor (3-4 weeks max. without mentioning about wanting to stay for 9 months in a calendar year) + if she demonstrates she has strong ties to return to her home country.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the damage has already been done in her previous visa application i.e. she had indicated her intentions to stay for prolonged duration which is untypical of a visitor. IMO, it would be best if she applies to extend her current stay (about 30 days before her visitor status runs out). She must then return to her home country for some months before applying for a super visa (i.e. when you're back in Canada).

Just to add:
She could be allowed to stay for up to 6 months on initial entry. It would depend on the immigration officer she meets. She can then apply to extend her stay like I have suggested. If she leaves before the 6 months, she would be assessed for a new entry when she returns (if she has a valid visa)

Last edited:

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Thank you very much. There is little reason for her to spend prolonged periods of time once I am back in Canada - the whole reason is to provide support while I am gone and my wife studies. It was already sacrifice enough to convince her to exchange one South African summer for a Canadian winter :)

That being said, I am worried about 'damage' being done - she is simply unable to spend 6 months or a full year in one go in Canada due to her obligations elsewhere. I am hoping that if we are as honest as in our first application, she would be able to obtain the same deal each time as she got this time. I am now worried that they may reject any subsequent application on the basis that a visit is considered to be up to a month. It is a little frustrating as we are trying to play with an open hand and explain what the specific needs are and we sort of end up being punished for it as we don't fit into existing options available - it is very ironic that she would have received a long-term multi-entry visa had she just applied as an ordinary tourist.

Thank you so much for your time, I guess we have a few months to think this through and find a solution.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
That being said, I am worried about 'damage' being done - she is simply unable to spend 6 months or a full year in one go in Canada due to her obligations elsewhere. I am hoping that if we are as honest as in our first application, she would be able to obtain the same deal each time as she got this time. I am now worried that they may reject any subsequent application on the basis that a visit is considered to be up to a month. It is a little frustrating as we are trying to play with an open hand and explain what the specific needs are and we sort of end up being punished for it as we don't fit into existing options available -
Unfortunately, you've not understood how the TRV scene works. As a short-stay visitor, your mom must prove her ties to SA are strong to compel her to leave Canada. By stating she wants to keep visiting regularly, it implies the contrary i.e her ties to SA are not strong.... and/or worse, that she is likely to work illegally when she is in Canada.

On the off chance, did you mention that your mom would like to visit to take care of your daughter because your wife is studying? Or anything else along the same lines?

Quite rarely do we come across a situation like this where a parent/parent-in-law of a Canadian is issued only a 6 months' TRV.

IMO, a 6 months' TRV is like a 'test' visa.... a borderline approval case.... where the visa officer does not want to refuse the application, but also sees no merit in granting a TRV of a longer validity. It is then up to the applicant-visitor to prove that s/he has adhered to the conditions of the TRV when s/he visits. In this case, your mom would most probably apply for an extension to her visitor status = She is 'stretching' that 'test visa' which she shouldn't.

In fact, most parents of Canadians are issued visas until passport expiry. Why? Because without actually stating the obvious (i.e. wanting to visit/revisit/re-revisit their Canadian child), it's a given that the parent will need to visit in future as well = Multiple entry visas until passport expiry.

You haven't posted the list of documents that were submitted + some details about your mom's personal and professional situation. This would have helped to understand what was missing in the application.

it is very ironic that she would have received a long-term multi-entry visa had she just applied as an ordinary tourist.
No. IMO, she would have been refused if she had applied as a tourist i.e. without indicating that she wants to visit family in Canada.

Why again? Because tourists won't want to stay for up to 3 months on each visit + the visa officer would be inclined to believe your mom is not truthful if she mentioned a visit as a tourist instead of a family visit

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Hi again - yes, we explained the whole story just as I have laid it out here. In fact, since my dad also applied, we wrote that he would only visit for a couple of weeks in August/September and yet they gave him exactly the same date as my mum who specified a longer period (with all the explanations). We gave a ton of supporting documents - bank statements, statements of earnings, even my wife's university acceptance and our proof of purchase of a new house for our relocation in Canada....my mum has been a housewife for over 40 years, she hasn't worked since her early 20's so no illegal work risk - we also submitted her health reports as well as her SA (which covers her for up to 3 months abroad) and Canadian insurance. In terms of attachment to SA - both my parents are permanent residents there, have lived there for 25 years, own property there, my dad has a company there. All of this was also submitted.

Since my mum cannot stay in Canada that long in one go even if she had a supervisa, I am guessing that it is probably wiser for her to return to SA when the fall term ends and then re-apply for a TRV to visit again in February. She will have proven that she has adhered to the conditions of the original visa and her intentions (to stay for up to 3 months at a time) and they will hopefully give her a multi-entry visa until the end of 2019. The extension doesn't work on many fronts (her need to be in SA plus red flags it may bring up with the visa officer).

I also have a quesiton regarding what we discussed earlier - since the supervisa is for parents/grandparents, even though I am not in Canada at the moment, my daughter who is Canadian is - if my UN income is not accepted, would the bank statements in my and my wife's name, plus proof of self financing by my parents suffice? Is it something that would be reviewed and judged on its own individual merits or is it just automatically rejected?

Thanks a lot again - really got more answers here in 1 day than one gets in 1 year with CIC

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi again - yes, we explained the whole story just as I have laid it out here. In fact, since my dad also applied, we wrote that he would only visit for a couple of weeks in August/September and yet they gave him exactly the same date as my mum who specified a longer period (with all the explanations). We gave a ton of supporting documents - bank statements, statements of earnings, even my wife's university acceptance and our proof of purchase of a new house for our relocation in Canada....my mum has been a housewife for over 40 years, she hasn't worked since her early 20's so no illegal work risk - we also submitted her health reports as well as her SA (which covers her for up to 3 months abroad) and Canadian insurance. In terms of attachment to SA - both my parents are permanent residents there, have lived there for 25 years, own property there, my dad has a company there. All of this was also submitted.
Maybe their applications lacked some evidence to prove they have reasons to return to SA + by stating they want to visit/revisit added to getting a short validity TRV. It is difficult to guess what their applications lacked without knowing the list of documents that were submitted for each parent.

I'm also guessing the visa paperwork and/or your invitation letter mentioned about taking care of your daughter because your wife is studying. The visa officer will consider this as working illegally as visitors even if it is unpaid. Anyways.

Since my mum cannot stay in Canada that long in one go even if she had a supervisa, I am guessing that it is probably wiser for her to return to SA when the fall term ends and then re-apply for a TRV to visit again in February. She will have proven that she has adhered to the conditions of the original visa and her intentions (to stay for up to 3 months at a time) and they will hopefully give her a multi-entry visa until the end of 2019.
Her new visa application will be assessed for the facts/evidence that she presents at that time. Of course, her stay of three months on her first visit could help for a positive decision.

That said, she can get a much longer validity TRV (even until the expiry of her passport) IF she proves that she has very strong ties to SA.

I also have a quesiton regarding what we discussed earlier - since the supervisa is for parents/grandparents, even though I am not in Canada at the moment, my daughter who is Canadian is - if my UN income is not accepted, would the bank statements in my and my wife's name, plus proof of self financing by my parents suffice? Is it something that would be reviewed and judged on its own individual merits or is it just automatically rejected?
1. I'm assuming you and your wife are able to provide NOAs for the last couple of years even if your income is not from Canadian sources.

2. Your mom can apply for a super visa only if you and your wife are co-signors for the super visa application + you and your wife submit documents as the super visa co-hosts, etc.

3. That said, IMO, it is a futile exercise and unnecessary expense to go through the super visa medicals + buy insurance of minimum CAD 100,000 from a Canadian insurance company, etc if your mom intends to stay for not more than 3 months. A TRV would be a better visa.

Also, a super visa would allow your mom to stay for up to 2 years only on the initial entry (she can apply to extend her stay), but subsequent visits will be assessed for up to 6 months' stay (like a TRV)

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your response. The documents submitted for both parents:

- Joint bank statements
- My father's income and company information.
- SA Permanent Residence
- Proof of ownership of property in South Africa.
- A letter explaining why they want to come and their travel plans for 2018/2019.
- A letter claiming that they are going to cover all the costs for their trip(s).
- Health insurance
- Medical Report to indicate they are healthy.

From my side:
- Letter of employment
- Joint bank statements with my wife.
- Letter saying that in case of any emergency, we will cover costs if need be.
- My wife's University acceptance letter.
- Home purchase to indicate move to new city.
- Letter explaining reason for visit.
- Invitation Letter

Of course, all of this went with the regular application forms etc. When I look back at it now and in light of our discussion, I think we went waaay overboard and produced an information overload which probably translated into a complicated story. I don't know how to better prove ties to SA than residence, employment, being there for 25 years and owning property there.

I agree with your analysis - do you think it would be a good idea when applying for a new TRV in December/January not to go into too many details except to say that she would like to visit her family at least once a year, preferably twice? Without going into any 'I want to stay for 3 months' etc. And then plan her stays also according to the time period given to her at the border upon arrival.

Thanks a lot.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
- Joint bank statements
- My father's income and company information.
- SA Permanent Residence
- Proof of ownership of property in South Africa
Property is an 'inactive' tie i.e. it cannot compel someone to return home soon unless that property is rented out or is in the middle of building work/home renovations.

You would also want to include property valuation reports (either self-valuation or by a property assignor) + recent property/council tax receipts, etc.

When your dad applies for a new TRV, I suggest he must include evidence of his active ties, in this case his employment. He has missed submitting a number of documents for this.

Your parents would also want to include other reasons to return home by a specific date. For example: If they live with other dependent family members + they must return home for an event/some other compelling reason.

They would also want to submit a Travel History explanation for the last 10 years.... to prove they have a history of returning to SA after short visits abroad (especially to visa-required countries such as the US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ, etc).

- A letter explaining why they want to come and their travel plans for 2018/2019.
This document has probably worked against them getting a TRV of a longer validity. It indicated repeat visits with stays of at least 3 months on each visit.

As visitors they must prove they have well-defined and well-thought out visit plans for a finite duration. This is normally done through a detailed day-by-day visit plan with expense estimates (sightseeing, meeting family and friends, activities, etc).... and they must prove they have the finances to afford the visit, including airfare, without depending on you/your wife as the host.

- A letter claiming that they are going to cover all the costs for their trip(s).
Do see the suggestion about the day-by-day plan + evidence to back this up.

- Health insurance
- Medical Report to indicate they are healthy.
Okay. Travel medical insurance is a good idea.

I agree with your analysis - do you think it would be a good idea when applying for a new TRV in December/January not to go into too many details except to say that she would like to visit her family at least once a year, preferably twice? Without going into any 'I want to stay for 3 months' etc. And then plan her stays also according to the time period given to her at the border upon arrival
I would recommend not mentioning anything about another visit in the near future. Keep the documents/invitation letter to one visit.

Again, the key is to focus on proving their strong ties to SA. If they prove that they have more reasons to return to SA than to keep visiting Canada, they will certainly get multiple entry visas of a longer validity

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
@Bryanna
I got a response to my CSE Inquiry I sent to Abu Dhabi office last Friday regarding visa stamping but the response has come from Canadian Embassy in Warsaw, Poland
I am kind of confused if this is normal? At first I thought damn I sent CSE inquiry to wrong visa office but then I checked it again, they have replied to the actual CSE inquiry message which infact was intended to ABDBI (IMMIGRATION) when I sent it:
From: CIC.DoNotReply-NePasRepondre.CIC@canada.ca [mailto:CIC.DoNotReply-NePasRepondre.CIC@canada.ca]
Sent: July-06-18 10:13 PM
To: ABDBI (IMMIGRATION)
Subject: [UCI] - [Name] - [Visa Category]

In addition to this, they are saying to contact CPC Ottawa, to receive information in regards to the methods of passport submission. You know, I already sent them an email last Friday so should I wait for their response?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna
I got a response to my CSE Inquiry I sent to Abu Dhabi office last Friday regarding visa stamping but the response has come from Canadian Embassy in Warsaw, Poland
I am kind of confused if this is normal? At first I thought damn I sent CSE inquiry to wrong visa office but then I checked it again, they have replied to the actual CSE inquiry message which infact was intended to ABDBI (IMMIGRATION) when I sent it:
It confirms that any visa office can process online applications.

CIC.DoNotReply-NePasRepondre.CIC@canada.ca [mailto:CIC.DoNotReply-NePasRepondre.CIC@canada.ca]
Sent: July-06-18 10:13 PM
To: ABDBI (IMMIGRATION)
Subject: [UCI] - [Name] - [Visa Category]

In addition to this, they are saying to contact CPC Ottawa, to receive information in regards to the methods of passport submission. You know, I already sent them an email last Friday so should I wait for their response?
You must wait for the reply from CPC-O. Do not mail your mom's passport yet

Reactions: se7en

Filipinay

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Oakville, ON
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
13-12-2016
Doc's Request.
14-03-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2016
File Transfer...
and SA 06-01-2017; BGC In progress: 26-04-2017
Med's Request
Re- Med request 14-03-2017
Med's Done....
30-03-2017 Medical Passed (Re- Med)
Passport Req..
27-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
VOH 03-07-2017
LANDED..........
22-07-2017
Hello @Bryanna
I hope all is well with you. I just have few questions about applying for regular TRV for my mom.
> I'm thinking of inviting her here for a short visit max 6mos and while in Canada, what would be the most feasible to apply for? A SuperVisa, PR or extend/ change condition?
> What are her chances of getting approved for a TRV if these are her current situation:
> Widower, strong ties would be my 3 other siblings back home plus her grandkids and her only sibling, owns a house, inherited a farmland (no appraisal yet as to how much but just the property taxes paid), small amount of money in the bank.
> Me and my husband will shoulder all of her expenses.

Thank you in advance!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello @Bryanna
I hope all is well with you. I just have few questions about applying for regular TRV for my mom.
> I'm thinking of inviting her here for a short visit max 6mos and while in Canada, what would be the most feasible to apply for? A SuperVisa, PR or extend/ change condition?
Super visa: Application must be made to a visa office outside Canada (ideally, the country of origin)

PR: Lottery-based selection

Extend/change condition: She can apply to extend her stay on a TRV entry

> What are her chances of getting approved for a TRV if these are her current situation:
> Widower, strong ties would be my 3 other siblings back home plus her grandkids and her only sibling, owns a house, inherited a farmland (no appraisal yet as to how much but just the property taxes paid), small amount of money in the bank.
> Me and my husband will shoulder all of her expenses.
1. Are your siblings dependent on your mom? Are all of them married? Do they live with your mom? Does your mom take care of the grandchildren?

2. What is the purpose of your mom's visit? For how long?

3. Has she traveled to any visa-required countries?

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
It confirms that any visa office can process online applications.

You must wait for the reply from CPC-O. Do not mail your mom's passport yet
Sounds good.
I hope they reply to my email this week. Once they reply then I will send the passport along with the PPR letter and the email responses from both the offices.
Will keep posted ..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Since my mum cannot stay in Canada that long in one go even if she had a supervisa, I am guessing that it is probably wiser for her to return to SA when the fall term ends and then re-apply for a TRV to visit again in February. She will have proven that she has adhered to the conditions of the original visa and her intentions (to stay for up to 3 months at a time) and they will hopefully give her a multi-entry visa until the end of 2019. The extension doesn't work on many fronts (her need to be in SA plus red flags it may bring up with the visa officer).

Thanks a lot again - really got more answers here in 1 day than one gets in 1 year with CIC
Just wanted to clarify that caring for grandchildren is considered work. That is what Bryanna was referring to.

Filipinay

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Oakville, ON
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
13-12-2016
Doc's Request.
14-03-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2016
File Transfer...
and SA 06-01-2017; BGC In progress: 26-04-2017
Med's Request
Re- Med request 14-03-2017
Med's Done....
30-03-2017 Medical Passed (Re- Med)
Passport Req..
27-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
VOH 03-07-2017
LANDED..........
22-07-2017
Super visa: Application must be made to a visa office outside Canada (ideally, the country of origin)

PR: Lottery-based selection

Extend/change condition: She can apply to extend her stay on a TRV entry

1. Are your siblings dependent on your mom? Are all of them married? Do they live with your mom? Does your mom take care of the grandchildren?

2. What is the purpose of your mom's visit? For how long?

3. Has she traveled to any visa-required countries?
Hi @Bryanna ,
1. My siblings are all married. No they don't live with my mom, she lives in my house that I purchased for my parents. She occasionally takes care of her grandkids. Her only remaining sister is highly dependent on her as she's clinically dx'd with mental illness but manageable.

2. Purpose of her visit is just pure tourism coz I want her to experience Canada. I'm planning for her to stay here for abt 3-4wks max, and then renew once she's here. When does the lottery start for PR?

3. She hasn't traveled out of the country before.

Thanks @Bryanna

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
@Bryanna
I am getting a impatient after receiving response from the local visa office and nothing yet from CPC-O. Do you think I should send a CSE for the same request. I dont see CSE webform for specifically for CPC-O but there is a general one, not sure which IRCC office/department the message gets delivered to but I am hoping someone would reply at-least.