+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Supervisa within Canada

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My parents are currently in canada on Multiple visit visa. I want them to stay long. If i apply for extension how long extension they will get in one go.
It depends on IRCC. Most probably for 6 months.

If extension is more than 6 months then they dont have to exit within next six months of getting extension?And what are the rules.Like if they exit due to xyz resson, what will happen?
Their visitor status/extension will lapse when they leave the country. They will be assessed for a new entry the next time they return

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
OMG. Super fantastic news. Thank goodness the background checks were completed quickly.

Email CPC-O and ask if you can submit her passport to them for visa stamping
Thank you Bryanna. I don't think the BG check completed quick. It took the time exactly what IRCC have for Pakistani applicants for supervisa.

Email only to CPC-O and not to Abu Dhabi office?
Please help me with drafting the email.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you Bryanna. I don't think the BG check completed quick. It took the time exactly what IRCC have for Pakistani applicants for supervisa.
All is well that ends well. You waited patiently for several months (right from the TRV).

Email only to CPC-O and not to Abu Dhabi office?
You can email both.

Please help me with drafting the email.
Do post the draft (no personal references)

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Hi to all,

I have read through the thread and I just want to check if the following is correct before posting my dilemma:

- Parent/Grandparent Supervisa CANNOT be applied for WITHIN Canada - it has to be done from outside. Can the application be done from any country or just the country of citizenship/residence? i.e. can my parents use their valid US tourist visas to cross over and apply even though they are neither US citizens or Green Card holders?

- If an extension is granted to a TRV, the person cannot leave Canada otherwise it will lapse.

Now to my case - since I work abroad, I wanted to get a visa for my parents so that they could help my wife and daughter out while my wife completes her University MA. Basically, it would entail my mother spending approximately 9 months of the next year (Sep 18 to Sep 19) in Canada, 3 months at a time with regular visits back home to visit my dad (who himself would take annual leave to visit them all but can't stay longer than 3 weeks due to his work). We provided all the necessary financial proof from all sides, explained the situation, wrote numerous letters to support their application hoping that they would end up getting a US-style multi-entry visa for 10 years. To our surprise, they were given a visa that lasts from July 2018 to January 2019.

Since this is the first time we are bringing them over to Canada, I wanted to ask what do you think is the best option to secure what is our aim (i.e. support for my wife and daughter until my wife completes her studies):

- Is it possible to re-apply for a visa in January 2019 and specify that we would like a longer term, multi-entry visa or is this completely at the discretion of the case officer (who obviously completely ignored a similarily outlined scenario in our last application)? Can this visa application happen from the US or does my mother need to return to her place of residence to apply? (as noted above, she is not a citizen).

- Or is it better for her to return to her place of residence and apply for a Supervisa - the only thing that discouraged us from the Supervisa in the first place is the waiting time (59 days) and we were worried they may not be ready in time. This would still not be ideal timing wise but it is an option.

Basically, I would like advice as to what is the best way forward for the needs that we have. The CIC call center was absolutely useless - it is like a human FAQ which refuses to even hear out any specificities you may have.

In case it is important, my wife and daughter are both Canadian citizens and I am Canadian Permanent Resident. I will be working abroad until the end of 2019 before I return to my Canada full time. I will be visiting approximately 5 times a year during that period.

I would just like some advice in case I am missing something or a more viable option for what we need and am thankful in advance for any help. As I noted above, all other conditions (financial, insurance etc.) are not a problem nor an issue.

Thanks in advance.
N.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
All is well that ends well. You waited patiently for several months (right from the TRV).

You can email both.

Do post the draft (no personal references)
@Bryanna, please advise where correction is required.

To CPC-O

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in reference to the supervisa application#xxxxxxx, submitted online on [Date].
Visa office has requested to submit passport as decision has been made on the application.

Applicant is currently on visit here in Canada since [Date] therefore I am requesting as the application representative to facilitate visa/counterfoil stamping here in Canada at CPC-Ottawa. Passport request letter is attached for your reference.
I have also sent a request email to application's local visa office (Abu Dhabi).
Please advise for further action.

Sincerely,
XYZ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Abu Dhabi through webform:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in reference to the passport request letter dated [Date] for supervisa application#xxxxxxx. (Attached for your review)
I am on behalf of my mother as her application representative, requesting your office to facilitate visa stamping in CPC-Ottawa as the applicant is currently in Canada since [Date] using her old visitor's visa expiring [Date].
I have also sent a request email to CPC-O.

Sincerely,
XYZ

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna, please advise where correction is required.
To CPC-O

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in reference to the supervisa application#xxxxxxx (mention the name/passport details), submitted online on [Date].
Visa office has requested to submit passport as decision has been made on the application.

Applicant is currently on visit here in Canada, on a TRV entry, since [Date]. Her visitor status ends on XX date. Therefore I am requesting as the application representative to facilitate visa/counterfoil stamping here in Canada at CPC-Ottawa. Passport request letter is attached for your reference.
I have also sent a request email to application's local visa office (Abu Dhabi).

Sincerely,
XYZ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in reference to the passport request letter dated [Date] for supervisa application#xxxxxxx. (Attached for your review)
I am on behalf of my mother as her application representative, requesting your office to facilitate visa stamping in CPC-Ottawa as the applicant is currently in Canada since [Date] using her old visitor's visa expiring [Date].

Sincerely,
XYZ

Reactions: se7en

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
To CPC-O

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in reference to the supervisa application#xxxxxxx (mention the name/passport details), submitted online on [Date].

Applicant is currently on visit here in Canada, on a TRV entry, since [Date]. Her visitor status ends on XX date. Therefore I am requesting as the application representative to facilitate visa/counterfoil stamping here in Canada at CPC-Ottawa. Passport request letter is attached for your reference.

Sincerely,
XYZ

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sincerely,
XYZ
To CPC-O email to be sent at CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca
and
Abu Dhabi through webform right?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
- Parent/Grandparent Supervisa CANNOT be applied for WITHIN Canada - it has to be done from outside. Can the application be done from any country or just the country of citizenship/residence?
It is advisable to apply from a country where the applicant has stable immigration status (not a visitor) + can demonstrate strong ties to that country.

i.e. can my parents use their valid US tourist visas to cross over and apply even though they are neither US citizens or Green Card holders?
Your parents would need to have valid TRVs/visitor visas to enter Canada. They cannot enter using their US B1/B2 visas.

- If an extension is granted to a TRV, the person cannot leave Canada otherwise it will lapse.
Correct.

Now to my case - since I work abroad, I wanted to get a visa for my parents so that they could help my wife and daughter out while my wife completes her University MA. Basically, it would entail my mother spending approximately 9 months of the next year (Sep 18 to Sep 19) in Canada, 3 months at a time with regular visits back home to visit my dad (who himself would take annual leave to visit them all but can't stay longer than 3 weeks due to his work). We provided all the necessary financial proof from all sides, explained the situation, wrote numerous letters to support their application hoping that they would end up getting a US-style multi-entry visa for 10 years. To our surprise, they were given a visa that lasts from July 2018 to January 2019.
It's not surprising that your mom was granted just 6 months.

She has made her intentions pretty clear that she wants to be coming and going on a long-term basis + she wants to stay (and not visit).... which contradicts the conditions of a visitor visa.

Since this is the first time we are bringing them over to Canada, I wanted to ask what do you think is the best option to secure what is our aim (i.e. support for my wife and daughter until my wife completes her studies):
She can apply to extend her stay.

- Is it possible to re-apply for a visa in January 2019 and specify that we would like a longer term, multi-entry visa or is this completely at the discretion of the case officer (who obviously completely ignored a similarily outlined scenario in our last application)? Can this visa application happen from the US or does my mother need to return to her place of residence to apply? (as noted above, she is not a citizen).
She must apply for a new TRV, from scratch, to a visa office outside Canada.

- Or is it better for her to return to her place of residence and apply for a Supervisa - the only thing that discouraged us from the Supervisa in the first place is the waiting time (59 days) and we were worried they may not be ready in time. This would still not be ideal timing wise but it is an option.
You cannot apply for a super visa for your mom. You need to be residing in Canada + must prove you meet LICO from Canadian income sources.

Your wife can co-invite your mom for a super visa if your wife independently earns enough income to meet LICO

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you Bryanna.
I just sent emails to both offices. Should I wait for the response from both offices or just send the passport with PPR letter and email copy which I just sent to CPC-O
Please wait for the reply from CPC-O. Don't send the passport yet

Reactions: se7en

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Dear Bryanna,

thank you so much for your response. It mostly did correspond to what I already knew but I wanted to follow up on this:

It's not surprising that your mom was granted just 6 months.

She has made her intentions pretty clear that she wants to be coming and going on a long-term basis + she wants to stay (and not visit).... which contradicts the conditions of a visitor visa.

What would constitute a visit? Being present in Canada for 6-8 weeks at a time, followed by 4-6 weeks outside of Canada, over a period of one year is considered 'a stay'? Just wanted to check if there is any sort of time period involved.

She must apply for a new TRV, from scratch, to a visa office outside Canada.

Will the fact that she applies for a visa every 3 months have an impact on her applications or is each taken on its own merits?

You cannot apply for a super visa for your mom. You need to be residing in Canada + must prove you meet LICO from Canadian income sources.

This is what has stumped me - the income needs to Canadian sourced? So my United Nations salary is not eligible? My wife will be studying and won't be earning a salary - however all our accounts are joint. If she submits a bank statement which has her name and address on it with sizeable funds on it, will this be accepted?

In your opinion,would the best option would then be to just re-apply for a fresh visa every 3 months as my mum needs to leave regularly to attend to her other business? It is a bit more pricey but since she will be leaving anyway and the processing times are way smaller, it probably makes the most sense?

Thank you very much once again.