+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Supervisa within Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I would like to invite my mother who is from el Salvador to come to Canada.
The problem is that she was deported.
A bit about myself:
I was born in Toronto Canada as well as my sister and my parents left Canada in 1976 to reside in El Salvador and then went to Argentina in 1977. My father was from Argentina.
Right after 1980 my aunt came to Canada due to a war in El Salvador and tried to invite my mother but my mother was told by the Canadian immigration in Argentina that she was deported. So my mother sent my sister to live with my aunt and then myself in1990 cause we are both Canadian Citizens.
Now 29 years later I am trying to bring my mother as a visitor. My mother is currently residing in El Salvador.
What can I do?.
Please help.
Thank you.
Unfortunately you will likely struggle for a few reasons. Given the situation in El Salvador there will be concerns about her applying for asylum or H&C. Also her past immigration history in Canada. You can only do your best to show that your mother has very strong ties to El Salvador and has no intention of staying in Canada. She will also have to show she has enough savings to support herself. I would start with applying for 2-3 weeks. Does she also have Argentinian citizenship or is she still married to your father? If your goal is asylum her ability to live in Argentina will be an issue.

Rosarina

Jul 26, 2018
Thank you for your quick response.
My father passed away and yes she has Argentinian citizenship but resides in El Salvador.
She doesn't want to live here cause she takes care of my nephews in El Salvador.
I have other siblings who live with her.
So as you adv. will try to invite her for a week or two.
What applications should I complete?
Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your quick response.
My father passed away and yes she has Argentinian citizenship but resides in El Salvador.
She doesn't want to live here cause she takes care of my nephews in El Salvador.
I have other siblings who live with her.
So as you adv. will try to invite her for a week or two.
What applications should I complete?
Thank you.
Regular tourist visa. That is good that other family members are dependent on her and live with her. It is important to highlight that. Yes apply for 2-3 weeks but you may be approved for longer. Do not purchase tickets in advance. You can provide an itinerary from a travel website. Would also include a detailed itinerary. I'd encourage you to spend some time reading through the visitor section of the forum. You will get a lot of good advice.

shepree

Sep 9, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I spent the last two hours reading through most of this forum. First its amazing to see how helpful you all are to one another and especially @Bryanna.

I am also in need of some help :)

So first some background,

I am a Permanent Resident in Canada & my wife is a Canadian Citizen. My mother is a Indian Citizen, currently in Canada on a Supervisa. Her passport expires January 10 2020 and her Supervisa expires on January 9 2020.

We are planning to apply for her passport renewal on January 11 2019 at the Toronto branch in Ontario. The processing time can vary from 2 weeks to 8 weeks, depending on if they issue the passport here or in India. After her passport renewal, we are planning to take her back to India right away to process a new Supervisa application.

1. From my understanding we cannot extend a super visa application onto her new passport - Correct?
2. We cannot apply for a Super Visa from within Canada - Correct?
3. Can she reside in another country other then India or Canada for us to process her Supervisa?

The situation is that my mother is a 66 year old widow and is very scared to fly alone. My wife and I work full time and will not be able to take 65 days (the processing time of a Supervisa) off from our employment to stay with her in India while her Supervisa is being processed.

My brother and his family (Wife & two children) reside in Italy, we were thinking of taking my mother to Italy so that she could spend two months there with my Brother, this way my wife and I could take a short vacation time from work; fly with my mother to Italy and vacation with my brother for a week. Then we could return to Canada to work and once her Supervisa is approved my brother could fly her back here and visit us as well.

Would this be possible? :rolleyes:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. Not sure why you want to renew her passport exactly one year in advance before her current passport expires. Technically, it is allowed but getting a new passport in January 2019 won't help.

2. IMO, it is not advisable to apply for a new super visa when her current visa is still valid until January 2020. Applying nearly one year in advance could result in the new application being refused.

To answer your questions:
1. From my understanding we cannot extend a super visa application onto her new passport - Correct?
She cannot extend her super visa per se, but she can apply to extend her authorized stay on the new passport. She must apply approx. a month before her current status expires.

2. We cannot apply for a Super Visa from within Canada - Correct?
Correct

3. Can she reside in another country other then India or Canada for us to process her Supervisa?
Yes, she can. Generally, it is advisable to apply from a country where the applicant is able to demonstrate the strongest ties.

The situation is that my mother is a 66 year old widow and is very scared to fly alone. My wife and I work full time and will not be able to take 65 days (the processing time of a Supervisa) off from our employment to stay with her in India while her Supervisa is being processed.
As you know, this is only an estimate. It changes every week and can take longer depending on the specifics of the application.

That said, your mom must apply under CAN+ which could mean faster processing times.

Then we could return to Canada to work and once her Supervisa is approved my brother could fly her back here and visit us as well.

Would this be possible? :rolleyes:
Do keep in mind that at some point in time, your mom will have to reside outside Canada for several months because it could seem like she is not a genuine visitor

ramanj

Nov 20, 2018
Hello
Glad to find this post. I have been reading about TRVs since a while now. But nothing is as informative as is this forum.

TO start with some history, Me, my wife and my 2 kids, all are on PR.

My parents are on multiple-entry visitor visa with following stays (stay extended for 6 month every time)

First stay: Feb-2017 to Aug-2017
Second stay: Aug-2017 to Feb-2018
Third stay: Feb-2018 to July-2018
Current stay: August-2018 till date (they were off to India for a month in July-Aug 2018)

Can I apply for stay extension of >6 months from within Canada as they want to stay here longer (keeping in mind that they already had 2 extensions of 6 months each since last year)?
Both me and my wife are working, and they want to stay with their grandchildren.

We will be applying for their PR soon. So, can this count for a reason for extending stay (planning to apply PR this JAN-2019)?
Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello
Glad to find this post. I have been reading about TRVs since a while now. But nothing is as informative as is this forum.

TO start with some history, Me, my wife and my 2 kids, all are on PR.

My parents are on multiple-entry visitor visa with following stays (stay extended for 6 month every time)

First stay: Feb-2017 to Aug-2017
Second stay: Aug-2017 to Feb-2018
Third stay: Feb-2018 to July-2018
Current stay: August-2018 till date (they were off to India for a month in July-Aug 2018)

Can I apply for stay extension of >6 months from within Canada as they want to stay here longer (keeping in mind that they already had 2 extensions of 6 months each since last year)?
Both me and my wife are working, and they want to stay with their grandchildren.

We will be applying for their PR soon. So, can this count for a reason for extending stay (planning to apply PR this JAN-2019)?
Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance.
They've been *living* in Canada. They are not *visitors*. It seems they are also working illegally because they are taking care of your children.

The chances of being given a short extension or being denied further extensions are quite high.

Is there a handwritten date in their passports? If there's no date, they can stay for six months from August 2018. IMO, it would be best if they return to India for at least 6-8 months before attempting another entry.

You can apply for their PR only if you are selected through the lottery process. So, no, the reason of planning to apply for their PR next year does not hold good

ramanj

Nov 20, 2018
They've been *living* in Canada. They are not *visitors*. It seems they are also working illegally because they are taking care of your children.

The chances of being given a short extension or being denied further extensions are quite high.

Is there a handwritten date in their passports? If there's no date, they can stay for six months from August 2018. IMO, it would be best if they return to India for at least 6-8 months before attempting another entry.

You can apply for their PR only if you are selected through the lottery process. So, no, the reason of planning to apply for their PR next year does not hold good
Thanks for quick response Bryanna.
Yes, they do have handwritten date on passport (Feb-2019).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for quick response Bryanna.
Yes, they do have handwritten date on passport (Feb-2019).
Given that your other wasn't given the full 6 months take that as a subtle hint that she has spent too much time in Canada and needs to go live in her home country for a good chunk of time since has basically been allowed to live in Canada for 2 years. You were lucky to get the 2 years. Also no guarantees she will get PR next year. Not sure the procedure but everyone seems to be assuming they will get PR for their parents if they want it next year.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not sure the procedure but everyone seems to be assuming they will get PR for their parents if they want it next year.
Yeah, I've noticed this optimism of a few posters.

Am I missing something? Are the PGP PR rules changing from next year? No lottery process?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah, I've noticed this optimism of a few posters.

Am I missing something? Are the PGP PR rules changing from next year? No lottery process?
No lottery. There was mention of online first come first serve. Not sure how they are going to make this work. Everyone is speaking like they have already been selected. Given that our hospitals are at least 1/4 filled with seniors with no where to go but can be discharged, the increase in PGP numbers is a pretty stupid election year promise. Nobody would have complained if they had stuck to 10K this year.

ramanj

Nov 20, 2018
Given that your other wasn't given the full 6 months take that as a subtle hint that she has spent too much time in Canada and needs to go live in her home country for a good chunk of time since has basically been allowed to live in Canada for 2 years. You were lucky to get the 2 years. Also no guarantees she will get PR next year. Not sure the procedure but everyone seems to be assuming they will get PR for their parents if they want it next year.
Well both the parents got 6 months stay.... Aug-2018 till feb-2019.
I am not positive about them getting pr. You can call it lack of knowledge on my part as I don't know the process of pr yet. Just planning to apply.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
No lottery. There was mention of online first come first serve. Not sure how they are going to make this work. Everyone is speaking like they have already been selected. Given that our hospitals are at least 1/4 filled with seniors with no where to go but can be discharged, the increase in PGP numbers is a pretty stupid election year promise. Nobody would have complained if they had stuck to 10K this year.
So, it's back to the old system :)

Thanks for the information

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well both the parents got 6 months stay.... Aug-2018 till feb-2019.
I am not positive about them getting pr. You can call it lack of knowledge on my part as I don't know the process of pr yet. Just planning to apply.
You can certainly apply for their PRs. It's no reason though for them to extend their stay as visitors.

It is a different situation if they are selected for PR. In that case, they can stay based on Dual Intent

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, it's back to the old system :)

Thanks for the information
Not quite the old system. Hopefully the couriers won't be the ones who benefit the most. Something online I think is what they said. I see so many potential problems. What if you're in a rural area with slow internet. Assume the website might crash.

Reactions: Bryanna