+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Study Permit IN Canada

Adidire

May 25, 2019
I applied for a study permit while inside Canada, and I recently got an approval for it. What I did was to submit my application by mail to the Los Angeles VAC. Like you, my visitor visa will expire while my study permit application is ongoing so I applied for a visitor visa extension as well. You will have to send your passport when you apply for a study permit, as this is the required process by the Los Angeles Visa Office. Ensure that you have another valid government ID other than your passport in case you are asked for a medical exam as part of your application. If you don't have another ID, ensure that you have a certified true copy to present to the doctor when the time comes.
Goodday,
After you received your study permit did you have to leave Canada and reenter at a port of entry in order to "ACTIVATE" your study permit?Because there is a whole procedure that needs to be done at a POE in order to start the study permit.How did you go about this since you were already in Canada when you received the study permit.

Reactions: nauman25

nauman25

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
i
Goodday,
After you received your study permit did you have to leave Canada and reenter at a port of entry in order to "ACTIVATE" your study permit?Because there is a whole procedure that needs to be done at a POE in order to start the study permit.How did you go about this since you were already in Canada when you received the study permit.
i have same question, can i go to border to activate my work permit ?

Lyn may

Aug 1, 2019
Hello, any update here I have my student visa Stamp in my passport but the student permit can be given only at POE. So do we need to go to border to flag pole and recieve the student permit? Hope someone can answer. Thanks

ezekiel05

Jul 25, 2019
Hello, any update here I have my student visa Stamp in my passport but the student permit can be given only at POE. So do we need to go to border to flag pole and recieve the student permit? Hope someone can answer. Thanks
Hello. Would you mind to share your experience when you applied for student visa. Were you inside Canada when you applied? If so, how you applied for student visa? Do you have family here? How did you prove that you will return to your country? Thank you.

ezekiel05

Jul 25, 2019
I applied for a study permit while inside Canada, and I recently got an approval for it. What I did was to submit my application by mail to the Los Angeles VAC. Like you, my visitor visa will expire while my study permit application is ongoing so I applied for a visitor visa extension as well. You will have to send your passport when you apply for a study permit, as this is the required process by the Los Angeles Visa Office. Ensure that you have another valid government ID other than your passport in case you are asked for a medical exam as part of your application. If you don't have another ID, ensure that you have a certified true copy to present to the doctor when the time comes.

Hi! I’ve read your post today. Like your situation before, I am currently here in Canada as a visitor and I was been accepted to study in one of the universities here in Canada. Would you mind to to share again your journey how you got your student permit? I’m planning to apply for student permit and your assistance will greatly appreciated.

First. May I know from which country did you apply your student permit application?

Second. Did you still provide for GIC even you are applying for regular stream?

Third. If yes, how did you deposited your money for your GIC, example scotiabank through wire transfer from your home country ?. Or you personally opened an account here in Canada?

Thank you.

PinalThakkar

Oct 4, 2019
Hi! I’ve read your post today. Like your situation before, I am currently here in Canada as a visitor and I was been accepted to study in one of the universities here in Canada. Would you mind to to share again your journey how you got your student permit? I’m planning to apply for student permit and your assistance will greatly appreciated.

First. May I know from which country did you apply your student permit application? - It should be your home country or USA

Second. Did you still provide for GIC even you are applying for regular stream? - Not required: If you want to do you can go for it.

Third. If yes, how did you deposited your money for your GIC, example scotiabank through wire transfer from your home country ?. Or you personally opened an account here in Canada? - GIC can be done from home country only.

Thank you.

PinalThakkar

Oct 4, 2019
Hi All,

I really need your suggestions for the situation I am in right now:

Let me explain the situation:

My Brother came to visit me in Canada in April 2019. He liked here so much and decided to study here. He got the offer letter from the college in Canada.

We hired an agent to fill out our application form and by mistake, they filled the wrong form. Even though the applicant is in Canada on a visitor visa, the rule says they need to fill study permit application for outside of Canada. My agent filled inside of Canada form. Because of that the application got rejected.

We extended his visitor visa by the flagpole on the border and he got the extension in September. Now, we got another offer letter from college for January intake. We processed the GIC meanwhile just to be safe even though he doesn't need it.

Now, We are ready to submit the file again:

Main Question:

For residency, Will it be Canada or will it be his home country?
I talked to CIC, and CIC confirmed that for eligibility it should be home country, then the only system will generate the study permit outside of the Canada application form. But within the form, what should I write? As he extended his visitor visa he passed 183 days. But should we consider 183 days from the extension date?
I really appreciate your sooner response.

Nov 19, 2019
Hi All,

My Brother came to visit me in Canada in April 2019. He liked here so much and decided to study here. He got the offer letter from the college in Canada.

We hired an agent to fill out our application form and by mistake, they filled the wrong form. Even though the applicant is in Canada on a visitor visa, the rule says they need to fill study permit application for outside of Canada. My agent filled inside of Canada form. Because of that the application got rejected.

We extended his visitor visa by the flagpole on the border and he got the extension in September. Now, we got another offer letter from college for January intake. We processed the GIC meanwhile just to be safe even though he doesn't need it.

Main Question:

I talked to CIC, and CIC confirmed that for eligibility it should be home country, then the only system will generate the study permit outside of the Canada application form. But within the form, what should I write? As he extended his visitor visa he passed 183 days. But should we consider 183 days from the extension date?
Hi All,

Main Question:

Hi there
can you please share the timeline for the application process of study permit.
did you applied the study permit after completing the pre-requisite program?
did you applied online or paper application?
i would be really thankful to you,if you could answer my questions.
thanks

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
Hi All,

Main Question:

You need to apply to los angeles usa
They accept applications of study permits of those who are visitors in Canada
Do paper base application not online
And you cant apply there directly send your application to the application process service ( vfs global),they will forward your application to canadian consulate in los angeles,call vfs global they will guide you

obiklint16

Nov 19, 2019
Hello, I got rejected and I don't really understand the reasons below and what do I do next?

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.

as for the first reason i do not have any family member in Canada all my family member are here with me in my home country Nigeria. also i seven siblings and am the last in my family.

for the third reason, am applying for study visa. I got admission to study post graduate diploma in cyber security and computer forensics. I have six years working experience as a network engineer/ information security analyst in a telecom firm. I also attached my leave letter in my application. i also stated in my letter of intent that i will be leaving Canada once my studies are over to continue with my present job which i will be promoted afterwards.

thanks.

Nov 19, 2019
Hello, I got rejected and I don't really understand the reasons below and what do I do next?

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.

as for the first reason i do not have any family member in Canada all my family member are here with me in my home country Nigeria. also i seven siblings and am the last in my family.

for the third reason, am applying for study visa. I got admission to study post graduate diploma in cyber security and computer forensics. I have six years working experience as a network engineer/ information security analyst in a telecom firm. I also attached my leave letter in my application. i also stated in my letter of intent that i will be leaving Canada once my studies are over to continue with my present job which i will be promoted afterwards.

thanks.
sorry to hear that.
did you applied inside canada or VFS LA?

Nov 19, 2019
Hi All,

Main Question:

Hi there
can you please share the timeline for the application process of study permit.
did you applied the study permit after completing the pre-requisite program?
did you applied online or paper application?
i would be really thankful to you,if you could answer my questions.
thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

thanks.
If you are already employed in the security sector your degree may not actually lead to career advancement. Due to the barge number of asylum seekers coming to Canada to claim asylum anticipate that you will need an extremely strong application. I would encourage you to order CAIPS to know exactly why you were refused before reapplying.