+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Study Permit IN Canada

Lucas Liz

Mar 26, 2018
Hi there,

I'm from Brazil and I came to Canada (as a visitor visa) to visit the Schools I was interested on studying in the future.

I found one that I was interested, applied and got a letter of acceptance and now I want to apply from here inside Canada.

I got this doubts:

How should I apply to the permit? In person/mail to VAC Los Angeles or normal online application?

I'm currently allowed to stay until May 2th, but the processing time may take longer to get an answer for the visa. Am I allowed to stay in Canada while my visa is processing? Do I need to ask for an extension for visitor Visa? Or I need to go back to Brazil?

Thanks

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Here are the requirements to apply for a study permit in Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=483&top=15

If you don't fit any of the categories, you have to apply for a study permit from outside Canada:

"For a new study permit, you can apply:

You can apply for extension of visitor status
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

Lucas Liz

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for the answer and links, but I still have doubts regarding the permit for staying in Canada.

Do I need to apply for the visitor extension, if the processing time is bigger than my visitor permit or by submitting the study permit application I can stay in Canada until I get an answer?

Because by applying, I need to send my passport to LA, which means I wouldn't be able to travel between countries and have to stay in Canada.

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
> Do I need to apply for the visitor extension
yes, to be safe. Otherwise you risk losing status and requiring restoration of status.

>Because by applying, I need to send my passport to LA,
make sure you need to send the passport at the beginning of the application.
I have never done study permits, but when I did apply for work permit in Canada, I never sent them my passport.
I only needed to send the passport only when applying for Visa counterfoil, and only sent the passport at the end, after approval.

alyxdv

Mar 28, 2018
I applied for a study permit while inside Canada, and I recently got an approval for it. What I did was to submit my application by mail to the Los Angeles VAC. Like you, my visitor visa will expire while my study permit application is ongoing so I applied for a visitor visa extension as well. You will have to send your passport when you apply for a study permit, as this is the required process by the Los Angeles Visa Office. Ensure that you have another valid government ID other than your passport in case you are asked for a medical exam as part of your application. If you don't have another ID, ensure that you have a certified true copy to present to the doctor when the time comes.

Lucas Liz

Mar 26, 2018
I applied for a study permit while inside Canada, and I recently got an approval for it. What I did was to submit my application by mail to the Los Angeles VAC. Like you, my visitor visa will expire while my study permit application is ongoing so I applied for a visitor visa extension as well. You will have to send your passport when you apply for a study permit, as this is the required process by the Los Angeles Visa Office. Ensure that you have another valid government ID other than your passport in case you are asked for a medical exam as part of your application. If you don't have another ID, ensure that you have a certified true copy to present to the doctor when the time comes.

Thank you so much for the answer! That was exactly what I needed.

How long does the process takes? I still have 1 month of visitor VISA in Canada, should I renew for 1 more or even more time?

Also thanks for the tip about the document, I'll have a copy of my passport.

alyxdv

Mar 28, 2018
Thank you so much for the answer! That was exactly what I needed.

How long does the process takes? I still have 1 month of visitor VISA in Canada, should I renew for 1 more or even more time?

Also thanks for the tip about the document, I'll have a copy of my passport.
You're welcome! The study permit application process took 3 months. This is mostly because I had delays in my medical exam, as I didn't have any sort of original government ID or true certified copies because my passport was in LA. Unfortunately, the doctors don't accept photocopies either. That's why I advised you to have a true certified copy (not just a photocopy) to avoid the same mistake I did ;)

You can extend your visitor visa for another 6 months. My reason for extending was that I was waiting for my study permit and that I needed time to adjust to the school environment here in Canada. In my case, the visitor visa extension came out first before my study permit.

Let me know if you have more questions! I'll be glad to answer them. :)

Lucas Liz

Mar 26, 2018
You're welcome! The study permit application process took 3 months. This is mostly because I had delays in my medical exam, as I didn't have any sort of original government ID or true certified copies because my passport was in LA. Unfortunately, the doctors don't accept photocopies either. That's why I advised you to have a true certified copy (not just a photocopy) to avoid the same mistake I did ;)

You can extend your visitor visa for another 6 months. My reason for extending was that I was waiting for my study permit and that I needed time to adjust to the school environment here in Canada. In my case, the visitor visa extension came out first before my study permit.

Let me know if you have more questions! I'll be glad to answer them. :)
Again, thank you so much!

My Visitor Permit expires in May 2nd, which means my deadline to apply for the visitor extension is Apr 2nd, so your answer was just clutch!

I already paid online the Study Pemit (150$)

Now I just need to pay de $32.27 fee for the VAC and a return for my documents and it is done?

Thanks for your time,

alyxdv

Mar 28, 2018

My Visitor Permit expires in May 2nd, which means my deadline to apply for the visitor extension is Apr 2nd, so your answer was just clutch!

Now I just need to pay de $32.27 fee for the VAC and a return for my documents and it is done?

Thanks for your time,
The fee for the VAC service is 37.89 USD. I asked my bank to issue me a bank draft directed to CSRA Consular Services Inc, as payments made online are not accepted. You will have to send this to the lockbox in Dallas:
P.O. Box 841908 (CSRA Consular Services Inc)
Dallas, TX 75284-9557

For your passport and other supporting documents, you will be mailing to Los Angeles.

You can check this site for complete information: https://www.csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_processing

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
Hi.f

Thanks for your time,
Hi did you received your permit ? Did they approved your study permit ?

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
The fee for the VAC service is 37.89 USD. I asked my bank to issue me a bank draft directed to CSRA Consular Services Inc, as payments made online are not accepted. You will have to send this to the lockbox in Dallas:
P.O. Box 841908 (CSRA Consular Services Inc)
Dallas, TX 75284-9557

For your passport and other supporting documents, you will be mailing to Los Angeles.

You can check this site for complete information: https://www.csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_processing
Hi I need some help ,will you please guide me ???? Please

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am still waiting for my visitor visa, which I applied for extension in September. I am thinking to apply for a study permit. Can I do that before I get the result for the visitor extension?

If I can, do I apply under new study permit or study permit extension?

Thanks in advance. Any comments would help!

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am still waiting for my visitor visa, which I applied for extension in September. I am thinking to apply for a study permit. Can I do that before I get the result for the visitor extension?

Hi I have a question
I am also in the same situation
I applied for my visitor exrenexte and now I am planning to apply for a study permit
But I am confused should I apply online or on paper visa ?

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

Yes you can apply for study permit ,you don't have to wait for the result of your visa extension

Sunny329

Jul 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

Are you applying online for the study permit or you are sending application via mail to Los Angeles office ?

Reactions: Evankc