+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for SIN online after landing

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Hi Everyone,

I am a new immigrant to Canada and as required by law, I completed my 14 day self isolation and finally on the 16th day went to TD bank and opened an account. Although they promised that they will send out a statement by mail they provided me a stamped letter called "assessment of funds" . The AOF letter had my name , account number , balance and details of the person who generated the letter on TD bank's letterhead.

I have used the stamped assessment of funds letters , my passport (1st and last page) and signed COPR to apply for SIN

My question is if this is enough or should I have waited for the physical statement to arrive in mail. I do not have a driver's license / rental agreement as of now .

Thanks
This AOF letter should work providing your address is also printed on it.

Maiesha Zahir

Jun 16, 2020
Someone mentioned that they have applied online and it's been more than 18 days since they haven't heard anything.

Here is a link to the post: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-application.685013/#post-8592624

I applied online today, but given the delays in almost all government procedures (landed on 16th of March and haven't received my PR yet) I suspect it will take time as well.

As for the application itself, they asked for proof of residency (COPR), proof of identity (passport) and proof of address (bank statement with printed address). They didn't ask for an email or any EE related application numbers. They did ask for my phone. I am not sure if they will communicate the SIN through phone or by mail.
Hi, how long did it take you to recieve your SIN? Did you receive by mail or phone?

Maiesha Zahir

Jun 16, 2020
Hi,

I received my SIN letter today. I applied on April 30th and my application number was in the 22k. The letter i received is date May 11th so it took 1 week get to me.
Which courier service did they mail through? are you currently living in Canada? I applied from Bangladesh and havent heard of anything yet. applied on 8th april.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
I soft landed in 2018 and have been living in Europe since then. I was issued with a 12 month PRTD earlier this year and was planning to move to Canada in early 2021 when hopefully everything will be re-opened and quarantine regulations will no longer apply.

I didn't apply for a PR card or SIN when I landed as I didn't have an address to use on the paperwork and wasn't staying in Canada for very long on that occasion.

Am I reading this thread and the linked government pages correctly that my COPR or PRTD would not constitute valid proof of my status when applying for a SIN and I would need to wait to receive a PR card first? If so then that makes things difficult for me because I would need a SIN to start a job and I ideally need a job to secure a lease on an apartment or condo. I would (hopefully) be applying for a SIN in person rather than online or through the mail.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
I soft landed in 2018 and have been living in Europe since then. I was issued with a 12 month PRTD earlier this year and was planning to move to Canada in early 2021 when hopefully everything will be re-opened and quarantine regulations will no longer apply.

I didn't apply for a PR card or SIN when I landed as I didn't have an address to use on the paperwork and wasn't staying in Canada for very long on that occasion.

Am I reading this thread and the linked government pages correctly that my COPR or PRTD would not constitute valid proof of my status when applying for a SIN and I would need to wait to receive a PR card first? If so then that makes things difficult for me because I would need a SIN to start a job and I ideally need a job to secure a lease on an apartment or condo. I would (hopefully) be applying for a SIN in person rather than online or through the mail.
No you don't need a SIN to start a job. I worked 4 weeks without a SIN. No issue, I received my first payslip.
But once you receive your SIN, you need to communicate it to your employer ASAP (within 3 days).

Reactions: Bloodrose

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
No you don't need a SIN to start a job. I worked 4 weeks without a SIN. No issue, I received my first payslip.
But once you receive your SIN, you need to communicate it to your employer ASAP (within 3 days).
Thank you. Back when I had a TWP I applied for a SIN in person at service Canada and they gave me the number on that day and then sent the official document in the mail a few days later. Do you know if they still do that when applying in person and does the same service apply to permanent residents?

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Thank you. Back when I had a TWP I applied for a SIN in person at service Canada and they gave me the number on that day and then sent the official document in the mail a few days later. Do you know if they still do that when applying in person and does the same service apply to permanent residents?
Yes in normal times one could get a SIN at the airport right after landing but with COVID-19 you can only apply online or in some cases via the post.

Reactions: Bloodrose

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Yes in normal times one could get a SIN at the airport right after landing but with COVID-19 you can only apply online or in some cases via the post.
Yeah they offered to process it for me at YYZ after I cleared immigration on my landing trip but obviously I couldn't do it because I didn't have a fixed address to use.

Hopefully Service Canada will be reopened when I go back and I can apply for a PR card through the normal route and then get a permanent SIN immediately after that.

madhav_91

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Hi, I plan to enter canada via land in next week. Does any one if I can apply for SIN while entering the border?

asfrh

Mar 30, 2018
Doha, Qatar
AOR Received.
30-09-2018
Hi, how long did it take you to recieve your SIN? Did you receive by mail or phone?
Hi, I received it after 1 month from applying and it came by mail. ServiceCanada agents (that's if you can get hold of them on the phone) can't give you any updates on the paperwork you submit online (if accepted or not), you will need to wait for the mail to come to see if you got your SIN or if they request some more documents.

asfrh

Mar 30, 2018
Doha, Qatar
AOR Received.
30-09-2018
Hi Everyone,

I am a new immigrant to Canada and as required by law, I completed my 14 day self isolation and finally on the 16th day went to TD bank and opened an account. Although they promised that they will send out a statement by mail they provided me a stamped letter called "assessment of funds" . The AOF letter had my name , account number , balance and details of the person who generated the letter on TD bank's letterhead.

I have used the stamped assessment of funds letters , my passport (1st and last page) and signed COPR to apply for SIN

My question is if this is enough or should I have waited for the physical statement to arrive in mail. I do not have a driver's license / rental agreement as of now .

Thanks
I used a letter from TD regarding an overdraft protection that had my address and they sent me my SIN. I suspect any bank letter with an address would work.

asfrh

Mar 30, 2018
Doha, Qatar
AOR Received.
30-09-2018
Hi guys, I am a bit confused the instructions say that we need 2 different proof of ID (1 primary and 1 secondary) + 1 proof of address. However, in our case (individuals that landed with a COPR letter and are waiting to receive their PR card); the valid primary proof of ID would be "both" the COPR letter and our foreign passport. Am I wrong to understand that in that case the secondary proof of ID will need to be something else (ie it cannot be our foreign passport anymore). On the guideline they suggest a provincial driving license for instance.

I just want to know if I am overthinking this ...I am holding on sending my application online feeling I do not yet have enough documents. As I read the instructions only the COPR letter + passport + proof of address is not enough.

Also they do ask for a phone number (they don't seem to accept international phone number either ...I am on the fence ...shall I give a friend number or wait to manage to get a Canadian number once my quarantine finally ends...)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi, I used my passport, COPR scan and a letter from TD about an overdraft protection (so not a statement) that had my address on and I received my SIN by mail after a month. I provided a Canadian number but they never sent anything by phone so I suppose if you're comfortable using someone else's you could. I suggest you send whatever you have because it's the only way to process it right now. The ServiceCanada agents over the phone won't be able to confirm the documents and you will only know if you're missing something after submitting the application and waiting for the mail back from Service Canada. I do suspect you would get it in your case though.