+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for SIN online after landing

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
I applied SIN online on 6th June right after I received my PR letter via email. My online SIN application was cancelled due to incomplete documentation - received a mail in my postbox on 15th June.

The same day, I re-applied for SIN application online with PR Letter, passport, Rent agreement and driving license. I still haven't heard back from them. Anyone in the same situation?

Note : Earlier I was able to login to my CRA account online, but recently on login, I am unable to access my CRA profile with ERR.41 error

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
I am a new PR and applied online for my first SIN. I also did not have any proof of address since i just moved. I applied the first time and got a refusal letter mailed to me within 10 days.

I opened up a bank account but will not have access to the statements for at least a month for me to use them as address proof. I get a phone line and used the service agreement as a Proof of Address which had my name and address on it. As per the SIN office, this is an acceptable proof of address.

My second online application was submitted on 28th April and still haven't heard anything from them. I called them today and they told me that my application hasn't been processed yet and i need to call back after 20 business days from application submission for them to tell me anything about my application.
Did you receive your SIN after you applied for the 2nd time? If so, in how many days

MoizArif

Apr 2, 2020
Did you receive your SIN after you applied for the 2nd time? If so, in how many days
No, my 2nd SIN application was also not entertained and I did not receive any correspondence on it. I called and the SIN office also had no clue why my application has not started processing yet while many other applicant after my application date had received SIN. The agent told me to re-apply again, and that the new application will be merged with the old one. So, I re-applied a 3rd time (this time with my bank statement) and received the SIN within 2 weeks. The issue was only the proof of address in my case.

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
No, my 2nd SIN application was also not entertained and I did not receive any correspondence on it. I called and the SIN office also had no clue why my application has not started processing yet while many other applicant after my application date had received SIN. The agent told me to re-apply again, and that the new application will be merged with the old one. So, I re-applied a 3rd time (this time with my bank statement) and received the SIN within 2 weeks. The issue was only the proof of address in my case.
ok thanks. It seems the mailman screwed up my post somewhere else. So I called up Service Canada and requested them to reissue the SIN. Received my SIN today.

Canadiandreaming

Jul 12, 2020
They sent it through Canada Post. I believe they will only mail it to a Canadian address.
Does anybody know the facts on this point?

The online application guidance says nothing about needing a Canadian address. And then the online application form asks if you're in Canada or not and allows a non Canadian address to be entered. It seems an oddly unhelpful way of designing the application and guidance if they intend to reject those using a foreign address.

Also, why would it matter? Some of us have a job to start quickly after arrival.

h2o_o2_co2

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Hey buddy,
was the bank statement you provided an 'e-statement' pdf from online ? or did you physically get one from the Bank?

h2o_o2_co2

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
It was an e-statement in PDF format I downloaded from the bank online banking system.
Thanks! My earlier request got rejected cause i sent them a goods to follow receipt as a proof of address... i now have a bank account... i can print a statement however i have made 0 transactions so far... so a bit concerned about that, though that shouldn't matter in my opinion.

MoizArif

Apr 2, 2020
Thanks! My earlier request got rejected cause i sent them a goods to follow receipt as a proof of address... i now have a bank account... i can print a statement however i have made 0 transactions so far... so a bit concerned about that, though that shouldn't matter in my opinion.
it is absolutely fine. The important thing to note is that the statement should have your full name and address on it.

Reactions: h2o_o2_co2

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
It's quite weird, I received my SIN number in 10 business days or so (applied end of May) but my wife is still waiting for it (applied end of June).
Is anybody else having the same issue?

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
"Your SIN is necessary to get a SIM Card" Not at all. Don't ever give that number to phone/internet providers.
"Your SIN is necessary to open a bank account" Nope. They just might require it later if you need a credit card.

"You can get your SIN at the airport" ... In normal conditions yes but right now I'm not sure if it's already back to normal in all airports.

edit: the person removed his/her message. Thank you for that.

Last edited:

asfrh

Mar 30, 2018
Doha, Qatar
AOR Received.
30-09-2018
Does anybody know the facts on this point?

The online application guidance says nothing about needing a Canadian address. And then the online application form asks if you're in Canada or not and allows a non Canadian address to be entered. It seems an oddly unhelpful way of designing the application and guidance if they intend to reject those using a foreign address.

Also, why would it matter? Some of us have a job to start quickly after arrival.
I don't know what the status of your application is right now but you can always try putting a foreign address and see if they mail it to you or not. SIN numbers are very sensitive that's why I assumed they won't mail it to a non Canadian address. In my case, I put my Airbnb address when I created my bank account and used it to receive the SIN even though I only stayed there for my first two weeks. The landlord was understanding and allowed me to use his address. I should have probably used a family/friend's address instead. Good luck to you and I hope you managed to get your SIN by now.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
A Canadian officer called my wife this morning and she told her to ignore the online process she initiated and get a SIN directly at one of their office that are now operating. No appointment needed.

alinawazahmed

Apr 24, 2019
Hi, I have driver's license but I am currently not staying at my present address and there is no proof for my current address. Is it okay to use my drivers license with my old address and other docs which does not have current address updated?

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Hello All,

To which address they mail the SIN card ? Is it to the address printed on the proof of address document or can I provide a friend's address in the online application form ?