+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP under implied status as student.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I think it is only fair that I update this thread as well for future reference.

Process
I applied for PGWP on implied status too around April 25th after waiting over 5 months for my study permit extension from November to be processed. I submitted a letter of explanation alongside the PGWP application explaining why I was applying without waiting any further on the SP extension and reminded them of the new update allowing me to apply since I had implied status as a student.

Outcome
The study permit extension was approved on May 8th (a little over 168 days after applying), and work permit application approved May 13th (19 days after applying).

On working
Until a new update mentions your work eligibility, you are not allowed to work until your PGWP application is approved if you applied with implied status on study permit. This is corroborated below by the IRCC Twitter:

monicafelb

Jun 15, 2020
This information was really useful, thank you for sharing. Do you have any other updated answer from IRCC? I'm in the same situation, plus my husband need to apply for his Open Work Permit, but I need to be working, so he can make the application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This information was really useful, thank you for sharing. Do you have any other updated answer from IRCC? I'm in the same situation, plus my husband need to apply for his Open Work Permit, but I need to be working, so he can make the application.
You need to be working in NOC 0, A or B before your husband can aplly for SOWP.

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Hello, i have talked to a CIC agent. I have applied for pgwp on implied status on April 23 and my study permit extension got approved on May 11 till 30. I was told that I will be having implied status after may 30 and I am not supposed to WORK (NOT ALLOWED). Hope this helps
Can you please elaborate why you can't work as you already received sp extension and applied for PGWP. Is it because you applied for PGWP on implied status?

Flag16

Nov 20, 2018
Hello, I applied for a student permit extension on March (until August 31st) and I haven’t had news. Mu application has been delayed as all the biometric offices in Canada are closed until fuether notice. As I just received my “letter of completion” from my program, I will be applying for a PGWP. However, I guess my biometrics will still be required. I was wondering if someone in this group was in the same situation and had the biometrics requirement waved?

Also, my spouse’s work permit is linked to my student permit. He also is under implied status since March and he is in the same situation as me regarding the biometrics. He also applied to extend his work permit until August 31st and he needs this as the company where he works will help him to get a new permit but only after one year of working there (aug 15th 2020). Will his application be cancelled once I get my PGWP?

Too many questions I know! But thanks in advance for any help!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello, I applied for a student permit extension on March (until August 31st) and I haven’t had news. Mu application has been delayed as all the biometric offices in Canada are closed until fuether notice. As I just received my “letter of completion” from my program, I will be applying for a PGWP. However, I guess my biometrics will still be required. I was wondering if someone in this group was in the same situation and had the biometrics requirement waved?

Also, my spouse’s work permit is linked to my student permit. He also is under implied status since March and he is in the same situation as me regarding the biometrics. He also applied to extend his work permit until August 31st and he needs this as the company where he works will help him to get a new permit but only after one year of working there (aug 15th 2020). Will his application be cancelled once I get my PGWP?

They are not waving biometrics at this point they will just keep extending your biometrics date until the biometrics centers open.

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020

The Biometrics rules have changed now and I applied for PWWP. However I have not got my study permit extension.

User1998

Aug 3, 2020

Process
I applied for PGWP on implied status too around April 25th after waiting over 5 months for my study permit extension from November to be processed. I submitted a letter of explanation alongside the PGWP application explaining why I was applying without waiting any further on the SP extension and reminded them of the new update allowing me to apply since I had implied status as a student.

Outcome
The study permit extension was approved on May 8th (a little over 168 days after applying), and work permit application approved May 13th (19 days after applying).

On working
Until a new update mentions your work eligibility, you are not allowed to work until your PGWP application is approved if you applied with implied status on study permit. This is corroborated below by the IRCC Twitter:

Did you apply for a restoration + PGWP? Or just a PGWP?

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada

Process

Outcome

On working

Did your eligibity review started immediately or is it stuck like mine says "we will let you know when we start reviewing your eligibility". It's been 165 days I think for my SP extension app.

AbcP

May 21, 2022
Your study permit is valid until a decision is made on your study permit extension. You don't need to panic. This was said to me by my immigration consultant. You can submit your old study permit along with the receipt that you received for when you applied for SME.

Actually my study permit expired on 30th april and I
applied for the extension of my study permit before
that on 29th april. So I was on implied status. I got
my graduation letter and official transcript on 20th
May and so I applied for PGWP. But someone
advised me to stop working as I cannot work saying
- You are NOT authorized to work after you submit
your PGWP application while on implied status. Can
you please tell me if it is true ans should i stop
working?

AbcP

May 21, 2022
This is for the applicants who are on implied status and wants to apply for PGWP.
I was also under implied status and my PGWP got approved on 23 April for 3 years
My study permit was expired on 30 dec 2019 and I applied for extension and I was taking forever
Lot of people mislead here in forum without any evidence that we can not apply under implied status.
I submitted my PGWP on 26 Jan and my study permit was approved on 20 February.
After your study permit will be approved you may send it to the processing office or else they will have in their system automatically because when officer will process your application he or she will check for sure before making a decision.
I just want to help other applicants who are confused like me like I was few months ago.
Good luck everyone !!!
Can you please tell if you worked while waiting for PGWP while on implied status?

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Actually my study permit expired on 30th april and I
applied for the extension of my study permit before
that on 29th april. So I was on implied status. I got
my graduation letter and official transcript on 20th
May and so I applied for PGWP. But someone
advised me to stop working as I cannot work saying
- You are NOT authorized to work after you submit
your PGWP application while on implied status. Can
you please tell me if it is true ans should i stop
working?
My husband got the same orientation. He stopped to work. I kept working (as his wife) as I didn't have a note in my WP.