+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP under implied status as student.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
March 18th...when is your last day to apply to PGWP? Actually I have other question... you have 180 days to apply to PGWP, however, your study visa expires after 90 days that day you get your certificate/ oficial letter ... if I decide to wait for my study permit , these 90 days will expire as well ... it is a little confuse ...

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
Your study permit is valid until a decision is made on your study permit extension. You don't need to panic. This was said to me by my immigration consultant. You can submit your old study permit along with the receipt that you received for when you applied for SME.
Hi there, I was scrolling for answers and I found yours helpful. I am on the same situation above, I am on implied status and still waiting for my student permit extension, however, I haven’t received a decision from cic. I submitted my application November 27,2019. Did you submitted your PGWP application already using your old study permit.? How was it? My program will end on the 30th of April. Still my study permit extension is under process.

Reactions: Soomaya27

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi there, I was scrolling for answers and I found yours helpful. I am on the same situation above, I am on implied status and still waiting for my student permit extension, however, I haven’t received a decision from cic. I submitted my application November 27,2019. Did you submitted your PGWP application already using your old study permit.? How was it? My program will end on the 30th of April. Still my study permit extension is under process.
You should wait for the SP before applying for PGWP, implied status is not accepted for PGWP. It seems the website has been updated to say you can apply if on implied status, so you are fine.

Reactions: NAVNII and J Rafols

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
You should wait for the SP before applying for PGWP, implied status is not accepted for PGWP. It seems the website has been updated to say you can apply if on implied status, so you are fine.
Hi there, thank you for the information. May I ask for the link of the website? :)

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi there, thank you for the information. May I ask for the link of the website? :)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Applicants may apply for a PGWP from within Canada if
  • they are on implied status, meaning they submitted an application to extend or change their status to visitor or student before the expiry date of their study permit and no decision has been made
This paragraph wasn't there a few months ago.

Reactions: J Rafols

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020

Bandani

Feb 25, 2018
Hi...I am in a similar situation. My study permit will expire July 1st but I am receiving my final grades July 15th. Extension takes 120 days so can i apply for pgwp while under implied status

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
Hi...I am in a similar situation. My study permit will expire July 1st but I am receiving my final grades July 15th. Extension takes 120 days so can i apply for pgwp while under implied status
Yes, you can..

• their study permit is still valid
  • they have a valid visitor record because they changed their status to visitor status before their study permit expired, while waiting for their notice of graduation from their institution, or simply to remain in Canada. However, they would not be eligible to work while waiting for a decision on their PGWP application as per paragraph R186(w)
  • they are on implied status, meaning they submitted an application to extend or change their status to visitor or student before the expiry date of their study permit and no decision has been made
Link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I think they updated this because of the COVID and lack of workforce maybe. FYI, my processing times are already past 120 days for student permit extension. Anyway, thank you so much for your help. Godbless!
You cannot make that assumption though. While you can apply for PGWP with implied status, the new update does not state whether or not you can work. So, the safe thing to do is to not work while you wait.

Bandani

Feb 25, 2018
Yes, you can..

• their study permit is still valid
  • they have a valid visitor record because they changed their status to visitor status before their study permit expired, while waiting for their notice of graduation from their institution, or simply to remain in Canada. However, they would not be eligible to work while waiting for a decision on their PGWP application as per paragraph R186(w)
Link:
Thank you

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
You mean once PGWP application was submitted, I am not allowed to work full time? I don't think so, according to the Immigration officer I could.
There is NO official update on work eligibility for application made with implied status, and if you read just a little further down on the link you posted, you'd see the caveat that says you can only work full time if your study permit was valid at the time of PGWP application.

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
Did you apply for pgwp with implied status
I am about to when the school releases my papers on May 15, I will apply for PGWP. But at the moment I am on implied status, I extended my student permit last November 27, 2019, still waiting for the results.