+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP under implied status as student.

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019

omarasimd005

Mar 27, 2019
Hi can I apply for PGWP when my study got permit expired and my study permit extension is under process?
Because according to new rules international students are no longer required to hold a valid study permit when applying for a post-graduation work permit.(pls check the link)
Does it applies to Implied status as-well?
https://www.mondaq.com/canada/Immigration/832418/Changes-to-Canada39s-Post-Graduation-Work-Permit-Program
link is not working, however what I have listened is after study permit, you have to get atleast a visit visa and then you can apply for PGWP

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It appears you cant judging from others experiences. While you don't need a study permit you need status not implied. Also flagpolling seems to be a problem if you have implied status.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I agree with comment(s) above. Applying under implied status is not a problem for PGWP but you should have valid status if you are flagpoling

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020
So, shall I change my status as a visitor and apply for PGWP instead of implied status and then can flagpole when my PGWP is under process?
If so, should I change my status as a visitor once my course gets completed because the new rule states that a student can apply for PGWP under visitor visa ?

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
So, shall I change my status as a visitor and apply for PGWP instead of implied status and then can flagpole when my PGWP is under process?
If so, should I change my status as a visitor once my course gets completed because the new rule states that a student can apply for PGWP under visitor visa ?
Hello! What did you do? Did you applied for your PGWP? I’m in the same situation. I didn’t do the biometric yet since all places are closed... now I have other questions ... if you have to apply within 90 days after you received your certificate, probably my study permit won’t arrive before these 90 days... thank you

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Hi.
You can apply for PGWP when your study permit extension is under process.
Hello! Did you apply? But the site is clear: you need a study permit valid to apply to PGWP , now I have just my letter that I received when I applied to extend my study permit... that’s why I’m not comfortable... thanks!

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020
Your study permit is valid until a decision is made on your study permit extension. You don't need to panic. This was said to me by my immigration consultant. You can submit your old study permit along with the receipt that you received for when you applied for SME.

Reactions: J Rafols

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Did you apply??? Have you received the response? My consultant said to wait , she said they can reject...

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
I’m waiting the certificate so I will decide what to do...let me know if you apply! When did you apply for your study permit extension?