+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP under implied status as student.

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
There is NO official update on work eligibility for application made with implied status, and if you read just a little further down on the link you posted, you'd see the caveat that says you can only work full time if your study permit was valid at the time of PGWP application.
Thank you. I will note that. Hopefully I will receive my new student permit before I PGWP application.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I am applying with implied status btw. My employer scontacted an agent on my behalf last week and they were told I could continue work but I had to decline since I wasn't getting a direct correspondence from the IRCC. I have a lot on the line, not going to jeopardize it.

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
I am applying with implied status btw. My employer scontacted an agent on my behalf last week and they were told I could continue work but I had to decline since I wasn't getting a direct correspondence from the IRCC. I have a lot on the line, not going to jeopardize it.
yeah , you're right. Same as me, I stopped working part-time since Mar 3, 2020, coz that's the expiration of my student permit. although I am entitled to work under the condition of my old student permit. I stopped.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
yeah , you're right. Same as me, I stopped working part-time since Mar 3, 2020, coz that's the expiration of my student permit. although I am entitled to work under the condition of my old student permit. I stopped.
You didn't have to stop as long as you are still enrolled and attending classes etc.

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
You already applied for PGWP right? under implied status, just to clarify, and you stopped working?

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
You already applied for PGWP right? under implied status, just to clarify, and you stopped working?
No, I am waiting for a study permit extension but plan to apply for a PGWP this weekend if it doesn't come in. I applied on November 20th, seven days before you apparently.

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
No, I am waiting for a study permit extension but plan to apply for a PGWP this weekend if it doesn't come in. I applied on November 20th, seven days before you apparently.
Oh, I guess, you are also checking every day. The last time I emailed them, Mar. 25, they told me they are still processing applications before November 8, 2019. Let me know if you receive yours. Thanks.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Hello, I’m in the same situation. I’ve been checking the government’s site everyday and I’m not sure but I think they updated the website. I remember last week they informed that student who were on implied status because request to study permit or changed his/her status for visitor could not working while waiting for a decision. There was this remarks under the both situation. However, now there is this note just for visitor status... I’m a little confuse. I don’t know if I was clear.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Hello, I’m in the same situation. I’ve been checking the government’s site everyday and I’m not sure but I think they updated the website. I remember last week they informed that student who were on implied status because request to study permit or changed his/her status for visitor could not working while waiting for a decision. There was this remarks under the both situation. However, now there is this note just for visitor status... I’m a little confuse. I don’t know if I was clear.
Yeah, I noticed this too and pointed it out to a consultant who told me she wasn't sure how to interpret the rule regarding applicants with implied status.

I did speak to an IRCC agent today who said this:
Okay, I just got off the phone with another agent whose name and PID I collected. I asked him of my eligibility to apply on Implied status for PGWP and if I am able to work when I do that.

The answer he gave me about Implied status application did not sound too convincing - although I didn't need him to convince me since it is on their website - he sort of rambled on about how processing times are not correct and I might have to apply for PGWP on implied status and hope the officer reasons along those lines when processing the application.

On whether we can work if we applied for PGWP on implies status for study permit, he consulted with some "consultant" on the background and returned by saying unequivocally that "NO, YOU CANNOT WORK unless your study permit was active at the time of PGWP application".

My conclusion from the conversation is that the whole thing is up in the air, at least until the IRCC updates their website with specific instruction for that scenario.

J Rafols

Mar 20, 2020
Yeah, I noticed this too and pointed it out to a consultant who told me she wasn't sure how to interpret the rule regarding applicants with implied status.

I’m worried.thank you for the enlightenment. I will also call and clarify this. The safest thing to do is not to work? While on implied status? And while waiting for the pgwp results.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020

Did you get this response from IRCC consultant???? The response was not clear... ... I remember that I read this remark for study permit extension and visitor status changing... they were informing that in the same sentence...
Aalso, we don’t know about the spouse... the spouse will be not eligible to apply for the WP since the the “student” can’t not work. I had a job offer, so my husband could apply for his WP as well if I can work. Now he must wait, however, we don’t know for how long... let’s wait for. Thanks

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I’m worried.thank you for the enlightenment. I will also call and clarify this. The safest thing to do is not to work? While on implied status? And while waiting for the pgwp results.
Yes, unless there is a written information on the IRCC website, it is better not to work. Someone on this forum @ree14 spoke to an IRCC agent today as well who said we could work full time, but those agents have been known to give wrong information to applicants before. They are famed for being poorly trained overall.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Did you get this response from IRCC consultant???? The response was not clear... ... I remember that I read this remark for study permit extension and visitor status changing... they were informing that in the same sentence...
Aalso, we don’t know about the spouse... the spouse will be not eligible to apply for the WP since the the “student” can’t not work. I had a job offer, so my husband could apply for his WP as well if I can work. Now he must wait, however, we don’t know for how long... let’s wait for. Thanks
Why don't you call the IRCC number tomorrow (or today depending on your time). You can reach them on +18882422100. Although there's a bit of a wait and you have to call them within a certain time frame and from Canada.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Yes, unless there is a written information on the IRCC website, it is better not to work. Someone on this forum @ree14 spoke to an IRCC agent today as well who said we could work full time, but those agents have been known to give wrong information to applicants before. They are famed for being poorly trained overall.
Exactly! If we are able to work, they will probably update the web site again. I hope the do that and clarify about he spouse as well.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Why don't you call the IRCC number tomorrow (or today depending on your time). You can reach them on +18882422100. Although there's a bit of a wait and you have to call them within a certain time frame and from Canada.
I’ll! Also, we can ask from the website. There is a form and we might ask through that.