+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for BOWP without AOR

wulisarah13

Mar 23, 2020
I got BOWP without AOR application refused today.
Application submit online: 2nd May 20202
Refuse : 27th May 2020

sedsum

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
I got BOWP without AOR application refused today.
Application submit online: 2nd May 20202
Refuse : 27th May 2020
Hey, have you applied for your PR already or before your work permit application? My application is still in process and I have submitted compliance fee paid by the employer midway. The application is still on process. What are you planning to do next. I am sorry to hear the bad news.

wulisarah13

Mar 23, 2020
Hey, have you applied for your PR already or before your work permit application? My application is still in process and I have submitted compliance fee paid by the employer midway. The application is still on process. What are you planning to do next. I am sorry to hear the bad news.
Hi,
Yes, I applied PR in March still waiting for AOR. Unfortunately, I thought I made mistake on my BOWP application ( I wrote down my employer details and refuse reason is "You have not demonstrated that you are eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Your prospective employer is responsible for obtaining a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment and Confirmation from Employment and Social Development Canada. " therefore they refused so quickly! Well, unlucky! Anyways, I am going to use the PNP support letter to restore my status as a worker. Hope everything will be okay this time.

sedsum

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
Hi,
Yes, I applied PR in March still waiting for AOR. Unfortunately, I thought I made mistake on my BOWP application ( I wrote down my employer details and refuse reason is "You have not demonstrated that you are eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Your prospective employer is responsible for obtaining a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment and Confirmation from Employment and Social Development Canada. " therefore they refused so quickly! Well, unlucky! Anyways, I am going to use the PNP support letter to restore my status as a worker. Hope everything will be okay this time.
Have you mentioned anything related to your PR application in your current work permit application? I have submitted documents after my work permit application as there were so many deadlock type cases on application but I explained everything there. You still need an exemption fee that needs to submitted by the employer. I hope your problem will get sorted out very soon.

wulisarah13

Mar 23, 2020
Have you mentioned anything related to your PR application in your current work permit application? I have submitted documents after my work permit application as there were so many deadlock type cases on application but I explained everything there. You still need an exemption fee that needs to submitted by the employer. I hope your problem will get sorted out very soon.
Hi,
I submitted my PR application (in March) before my work permit expired(in May). I was okay with PR documents. Yes, I will speak with my general manager on Thursday. Sorry, I just have one question about the expected employment date? Do you write down the date after your work permit expire ? Thank you!

sedsum

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
Hi,
I submitted my PR application (in March) before my work permit expired(in May). I was okay with PR documents. Yes, I will speak with my general manager on Thursday. Sorry, I just have one question about the expected employment date? Do you write down the date after your work permit expire ? Thank you!
Alright and good luck. I think I have written the future date but do not remember. Also your case in unique now. Since this is related to the restoration please consult more with experts as this one will be a last resort. Take care!

petiterobenoire

May 11, 2020
I also got a similar letter on a BOWP (applied June 15, rejected today, June 17):

You have not demonstrated that you are eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Your prospective employer is responsible for obtaining a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment and Confirmation from Employment and Social Development Canada.
This strikes me as bizarre, since the whole point of a BOWP is that I don't have a prospective employer. I submitted my AOR with the application.

Does anyone have any information or advice on this? I searched this language in Google, but this forum was the only hit.

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
I also got a similar letter on a BOWP (applied June 15, rejected today, June 17):

This strikes me as bizarre, since the whole point of a BOWP is that I don't have a prospective employer. I submitted my AOR with the application.

Does anyone have any information or advice on this? I searched this language in Google, but this forum was the only hit.
It looks that it happened because the person unhappily added the employer details in the section for 'Details of Intended Work in Canada' in the form Imm5710 [items 2 to 4](it should be left in blank, or filled as 'not applicable' for Open Work Permit applications).

But it's a little scaring for sure, as Bowp should be to keep living and working in Canada while waiting for PR (working in the same job, or a new one). And it seems they are not flexible about this sort of mistake (personally I think it shouldn't be a cause of refusal), maybe if the person puts an employer detail over there they can't give a permit with no description of employer for some reason (and that's reason of refusal).

This makes me confused if I should or not attach a job verification letter in a Bowp application as an extra support document. Probably they should have a new version of the form that automatically disable these items when the person takes 'Open Work Permit' as type of work permit.

Last edited:

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
I see. I didn't give employer details in mine... but I'll fill in the web form and see what they say.
Actually looking better that case, it seems it was because of the lack of an "AOR" email/letter as support document (attached to Letter of Explanation). In addition, even with "AOR" email/letter the person should have already passed an initial stage of its APR (application for resident permanent) which for Express Entry is "R10 completeness check " and for "Paper APR" is the "Eligibility" became "Passed" (or "Met").

Researching in the forum for other people experience, it seems this stage is completed a short time after AOR (1 to 2 months), but in some cases it can take more time. More details about what I said above, and also the "No employment Restrictions" for provincial nominees can be found in this Operational Bulletin Manual for Bowp: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

Anyway, for Open Work Permit, it's better to not give employment details. The guide for applying for a work permit inside Canada says that when taking an Open Work Permit/Post Graduation Work Permit in the section for "Details of Intended Work in Canada" no information is required for question: 2,3,4,6,7,8. (but if you're a provincial nominee, you probably could fill questions 3 and 8 (about location of employment, and the question if you have a provincial nomination). The rest can be left in blank, or filled as "Not applicable". Maybe good practice for "Name of Employer" is to add "Applying for Bridging Open Work Permit" as it makes easier to officer identify what you're applying for.
Guide: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-bowp-without-aor.603184/

Some update from them? Did u received Biometrics request before final message or it didn't happened?