+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Start-Up Visa directly?

sadi21

Nov 7, 2017
I have a small query and would appreciate your views on the same. I am the only founder of my tech business and looking to apply under the SUV program. How does IRCC view applications from a single founder vis-à-vis from a multi-founder company? Are such companies at a disadvantage compared to companies run by a team?
To me, Solo founder or a team does't makes any difference. As long as you can prove that you are successful in executing your idea. IRCC is more likely to be interested in authenticity of the business rather than number of founders.

Mark Boucher

Apr 10, 2020
I have a query regarding application for Work-permit under SUV. I am looking to file online. As per the help-guide on CiC's website, after filling up the form we should get result as “Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program”. However, I am getting "Foreign Worker (Visitor)". Have tried several times but with the same result. Did anyone face this issue? Your assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks

sadi21

Nov 7, 2017
I have a query regarding application for Work-permit under SUV. I am looking to file online. As per the help-guide on CiC's website, after filling up the form we should get result as “Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program”. However, I am getting "Foreign Worker (Visitor)". Have tried several times but with the same result. Did anyone face this issue? Your assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks
i am facing the same situation. Have you resolved it?

sadi21

Nov 7, 2017
I am also getting the same "Foreign Worker (Visitor Visa required)"
I tried several different combinations but no success. If i go with the above option, it takes me to an application for Work Permit with a job offer and asks to submit many documents which makes no sense like:
Employment reference letter
Current employer letter
Employment records
Employment contracts

Since i am an entrepreneur, i don't have these documents.

Any help from someone is much appreciated.

shirdel87

Jun 13, 2020
Hi there,

We have been accepted by an Angel. Does anybody here have a similar experience?
Although an incubator has accepted us, we intend to proceed with the Angel. The problem is that the Angel has demanded a weird amount of fee ( 350K including operational costs of new Candian company and paperwork such as term sheet, shareholder agreements, commitment certificate, and so forth. Also, there is a potential VC for us. There are three options, but we have a grave concern about the future fees they will likely impose on us.

Rach03

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Hi there,

We have been accepted by an Angel. Does anybody here have a similar experience?
Although an incubator has accepted us, we intend to proceed with the Angel. The problem is that the Angel has demanded a weird amount of fee ( 350K including operational costs of new Candian company and paperwork such as term sheet, shareholder agreements, commitment certificate, and so forth. Also, there is a potential VC for us. There are three options, but we have a grave concern about the future fees they will likely impose on us.
From my perspective, You should do it with an incubator. It seems like your Angel is asking money for "themselves". Also, it is required by the IRCC under this program is "You must get one or more investors connected to these groups to agree to invest a minimum of $75,000". The cost of running business, paperwork can be done by yourself I believe?

shirdel87

Jun 13, 2020
From my perspective, You should do it with an incubator. It seems like your Angel is asking money for "themselves". Also, it is required by the IRCC under this program is "You must get one or more investors connected to these groups to agree to invest a minimum of $75,000". The cost of running business, paperwork can be done by yourself I believe?
THANKS. The Angel's lawyer says that due to the high rejection of incubator related cases, its better proceed with us. She also will incorporate a 300 pages due diligence in the documents that give officee and increase the possibility of PR acceptance. I'm so hesitant to choose the best. Unfortunately, there is a black market o letter of supports so that a huge amount of disqualified guys apply through incubator path spending around 100K to obtain PR by being added to startups, she says.

Mark Boucher

Apr 10, 2020
I am also getting the same "Foreign Worker (Visitor Visa required)"
I tried several different combinations but no success. If i go with the above option, it takes me to an application for Work Permit with a job offer and asks to submit many documents which makes no sense like:
Employment reference letter
Current employer letter
Employment records
Employment contracts

Since i am an entrepreneur, i don't have these documents.

Any help from someone is much appreciated.
Found any solution? May be paper application will be better.

TucoR

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hello,
I was accepted to an incubator in Toronto.
Now I am preparing documents for PR.
The lawyer said I need to incorporate in Canada, but I have no one I can appoint as a director. I live outside Canada.
The lawyer suggests to incorporate in BC and get approval in ON.
Do I need a company before my case is processed (by peer reviews or so)? Can I incorporate only when the peer review officers approve the case?
Thank you.

teejax

Aug 2, 2019
Hello Mark,
Did you find any solution to solve it ? I followed this guide https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/work-permits.html#5.0 but I can't get the "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program" as a result.
I'm thinking now to apply on paper, what you think?
Hi Amin,

I had the same problem, I found out the country of origin usually determines the result.

In my case, I applied with the result I got which was work permit.

Unfortunately, the Visa Officer processed it as a regular WP instead of SUV WP and I got refused even with a Letter of Explanation.

Let's know your final decision.

All the best!