+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

AbhishekNene

May 20, 2020
My PGWP is expiring on Sept 11, 2021. Am eligible for this new policy? I’m kinda confused by the deadline of July 27, 2021. Some people said if PGWP expires after this deadline then you’re not eligible. Is this correct?
You should be eligible
You can submit to renew 4 months before the expiry date
Ask lawyer/consultant though

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
My PGWP is expiring on Sept 11, 2021. Am eligible for this new policy? I’m kinda confused by the deadline of July 27, 2021. Some people said if PGWP expires after this deadline then you’re not eligible. Is this correct?

Hi I believe you are eligible to apply on this new public policy. As it stipulated on the new public policy:

Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
It is clearly stated on the requirements see the bolded word, you are eligible to apply if you submit your application within 4 months. July 27, 2021, is the deadline for submission for this new policy.

Reactions: RoTaBl

Sam7740

Jan 28, 2021
Hello guys
Please help me to apply under public policy
1. Whether to select under new employee or old employee what you selected.
2. Can you share me copy of sample letter which we need to attached.

I am working with one employer right now and have only 1 year of wp so it's very critical for me and possibly very need to get this extension.

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:
  1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
Official announcement: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

My question: Do I need to have a temporary resident status during the processing period of my application? (I don't think so. What do you think?)
This is because my current PGWP will expire very soon. After the submission of this new OWP application, I will have the implied status after my PGWP expires.
Am I over-analyzing requirement #3 now?
Hi. If you have already applied for the OWP then you are in implied status. Thus, you do not need any other temporary residence visa.

Reactions: RoTaBl

Paartth

Mar 1, 2021
Hello, my work permit PGWP had expired . I applied for OPW under public policy was approved and today I got the hard copy. To update SIN it takes almost one week(applied online). Can I start working again while waiting for SIN?

RoTaBl

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hello, my work permit PGWP had expired . I applied for OPW under public policy was approved and today I got the hard copy. To update SIN it takes almost one week(applied online). Can I start working again while waiting for SIN?
Yes. SIN does not matter. You already had one. Just need an extension.
I’m on implied status. Can I keep working under the same conditions of my initial work permit if my Social Insurance Number (SIN) is expired? I'm a Link
Yes. If you applied to extend your work permit before your initial work permit expires, you can keep working, even if your SIN is expired.
You can apply to renew your SIN as soon as you get a new permit.

thunderPharmD

Jan 14, 2021
I am trying to fill application ‘imm5710’ for the extension of my PGWP under public policy. I don’t know what to choose under: “what type of work permit are you applying for?” I’m confused with 3 options: open work permit? or open work permit for vulnerable workers? or PGWP?. Please help. Anyone

RoTaBl

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
I am trying to fill application ‘imm5710’ for the extension of my PGWP under public policy. I don’t know what to choose under: “what type of work permit are you applying for?” I’m confused with 3 options: open work permit? or open work permit for vulnerable workers? or PGWP?. Please help. Anyone
Not for you:
open work permit for vulnerable workers

You can choose between either OWP or PGWP. They both works.

Some ppl like me chose the first one for 2 reasons.
1. PGWP is a type of OWP.
2. OWP was the term that IRCC used for this policy

But others chose PGWP because
this is a special PGWP extension.

In conclusion, choose the one you feel like.

AbhishekNene

May 20, 2020
Hello everyone
I just have a quick question
I got my OWP under new policy last week
I want to apply for TRV to travel
I received my invitation but not AOR
I have done my medical last year
So while applying for TRV, there are 2 questions
Have you applied for PR and have you done medical in past 12 months
Should I say yes? Or just say no since both are different applications
Thank you

Nsn359

Star Member
Feb 6, 2020
Any update on people who applied for pgwp under new policy on January 27th 2021 and didn't received any notifications yet? I've applied on 27th and till date no response from CIC. I'm seeing alot of people in this forum, who applied around February 1st week getting approvals. I don't know what's going on with the applications who applied on January 27th !!

Reactions: Rav@12

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Any update on people who applied for pgwp under new policy on January 27th 2021 and didn't received any notifications yet? I've applied on 27th and till date no response from CIC. I'm seeing alot of people in this forum, who applied around February 1st week getting approvals. I don't know what's going on with the applications who applied on January 27th !!
nothing brother ... is very unfair and very stressful :(