+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

Sam7740

Jan 28, 2021
Can anyone send me the sample letter of explanation that we need to upload for the owp under public policy it would be really helpful I will used it as a reference only

MBand71

Feb 23, 2021
Hi everyone,

I need some clarification/assistance with a couple areas of the IMM5710e form if you all can help me?

Box #3: (1) Applying for open work permit with same employer OR (2) Apply for work permit new employer

- I have seen mixed responses regarding which is best to select. Some have been accepted and they have selected (1). I am currently working under the PGWP for an employer and I would like to extend this permit (receive the new open work permit) and continue working like normal. I am worried if I select (1) then they will ask for LMIA or something like that since I am currently working.

DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA

What type of work permit are you applying for: open work permit OR PGWP?

- I am confused because they mention that this policy grants a new open work permit but at the same time they are saying that it is an extension to our PGWPs.

PLEASE HELP!!

RoTaBl

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

I need some clarification/assistance with a couple areas of the IMM5710e form if you all can help me?

Box #3: (1) Applying for open work permit with same employer OR (2) Apply for work permit new employer

- I have seen mixed responses regarding which is best to select. Some have been accepted and they have selected (1). I am currently working under the PGWP for an employer and I would like to extend this permit (receive the new open work permit) and continue working like normal. I am worried if I select (1) then they will ask for LMIA or something like that since I am currently working.

DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA

What type of work permit are you applying for: open work permit OR PGWP?

- I am confused because they mention that this policy grants a new open work permit but at the same time they are saying that it is an extension to our PGWPs.

PLEASE HELP!!
Go to read Page 2 in this thread. You will find the related discussions. In short, any options are acceptable.

"(2) Apply for work permit new employer" is probably better.

"What type of work permit are you applying for: open work permit OR PGWP?" Just pick the one you feel like because PGWP is a type of OWP, but at the same time, you are applying for a special PGWP extension. So, choose PGWP may be more suitable, but they are pretty much the same.

MBand71

Feb 23, 2021
Go to read Page 2 in this thread. You will find the related discussions. In short, any options are acceptable.

"(2) Apply for work permit new employer" is probably better.

"What type of work permit are you applying for: open work permit OR PGWP?" Just pick the one you feel like because PGWP is a type of OWP, but at the same time, you are applying for a special PGWP extension. So, choose PGWP may be more suitable, but they are pretty much the same.
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking to be honest.

Another thing, In the application itself under OPTIONAL DOCUMENTS, I have attached the LOE. There is another form for "TRV Application made outside of Canada"... am I OK to skip this as I currently have a valid PGWP. Not sure why it is giving this form to me.

Nsn359

Star Member
Feb 6, 2020
Hi,

I've applied for my pgwp extension under public policy on January 27th 2021, but didn't recieved nor either my status has changed to reviewing. On Sunday morning when I randomly login to my account under status it showed "application/profile updated" and nothing has changed in my application. But today when I see my account the status has reverted to "submitted" status. Can I know what does it mean and what's going on with my application?

Thanks!!

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Hi,

I've applied for my pgwp extension under public policy on January 27th 2021, but didn't recieved nor either my status has changed to reviewing. On Sunday morning when I randomly login to my account under status it showed "application/profile updated" and nothing has changed in my application. But today when I see my account the status has reverted to "submitted" status. Can I know what does it mean and what's going on with my application?

Thanks!!
any updates?

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Not yet !! Is anyone in this group or any know person still waiting for approval who applied on January 27th under public policy as well as restoration!?
I think you will get the WP by today or tomorrow :), I just know one friend that applied under a new policy on January 29th, he's still waiting ...and I'm still waiting too, but applied on February 4th.
The whole situation is very stressful, but let's try to be more positive :)

ALL THE BEST!

Reactions: Nsn359

Nsn359

Star Member
Feb 6, 2020
I think you will get the WP by today or tomorrow :), I just know one friend that applied under a new policy on January 29th, he's still waiting ...and I'm still waiting too, but applied on February 4th.
The whole situation is very stressful, but let's try to be more positive :)

ALL THE BEST!
Thanks dude. You too all the best. One of the member in another group applied on Feb 4th and he got approved yesterday. So little bit worried why it's taking too long

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Thanks dude. You too all the best. One of the member in another group applied on Feb 4th and he got approved yesterday. So little bit worried why it's taking too long
Yes, is kind of weird how they process the applications...so stressful :(

RoTaBl

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking to be honest.

Another thing, In the application itself under OPTIONAL DOCUMENTS, I have attached the LOE. There is another form for "TRV Application made outside of Canada"... am I OK to skip this as I currently have a valid PGWP. Not sure why it is giving this form to me.
Be chill. It's optional for a reason unless you need a visa and you are outside of Canada which makes you ineligible for this owp.