+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

ankv93

Mar 9, 2021
Need Urgent help...

-Previous PGWP expired on September 26/2020
-Applied for temporary resident permit on September 25/2020
- Decision made on temporary resident permit December 16/2020 (Refused)
- Received an ITA on February 14/2021

Questions: 1. Am I eligible to apply for OWP?
2. If yes, does it has to be applied within 90 days from the refusal date which is before March 16/2021?
3. What documents do I need to apply for OWP?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

a_ch_

Mar 31, 2020
Hello all,

My current work permit gonna be expired on 13th Dec 2021. I have a plan to leave Canada due to an emergency situation that has happened for my mother in my home country. I am working since 4th January 2021, but I think if my employer would not accept me to work remotely I have to quit my job.!!

My PR application under-skilled worker Quebec is processing but as you know, it is a very long process. So, If I leave the country in this situation, there is no guarantee that I can back to Canada until my PR profile will be approved which maybe a year and a half or even two years!! Because if I lost my employer in Canada I would not have any chance for a close work permit and as I said my current PGWP will be expired on 13th December 2021. So, I was thinking of applying for the extension of PGWP under the new policy before leaving Canada.

First of all, I want to know if you guys seeing any chance for me to be approved for this application before leaving Canada.
Then I wanted to know how much I will be lost for this application if it would be rejected?

Thanks in advance.

hellokady

Mar 25, 2020
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Sydney
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
Super fast 11 Days Only
Yes but it’s been hell. Couldn’t work for a month. First time I applied was before the public policy. It was refused because I applied for a postgraduate work permit extension instead of a bridging work permit (an immigration agent emailed me the informations on how to apply for a work permit extension). Then, an immigration agent told me to apply for an open work permit + status restoration. It was refused on feb 27th because I didn’t specify in the letter that it was under the public policy. Then, I reapplied the same day and it got approved today.

Moral of the story: read all the details on the website, never believe an immigration call center agent as they’re not officers and they don’t know everything. Make your own researches or talk to a lawyer. Never lose hope.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

T1793C

Star Member
Feb 26, 2021
Yes but it’s been hell. Couldn’t work for a month. First time I applied was before the public policy. It was refused because I applied for a postgraduate work permit extension instead of a bridging work permit (an immigration agent emailed me the informations on how to apply for a work permit extension). Then, an immigration agent told me to apply for an open work permit + status restoration. It was refused on feb 27th because I didn’t specify in the letter that it was under the public policy. Then, I reapplied the same day and it got approved today.

Moral of the story: read all the details on the website, never believe an immigration call center agent as they’re not officers and they don’t know everything. Make your own researches or talk to a lawyer. Never lose hope.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I had the same situation. I applied on the 10 of feb with restoration. And still haven’t gotten a response. I’ve been out of work since feb 7 when my pgwp was refused because I applied before the public policy for an extension.
I’m really hoping I get a response soon. I need to start working again.

Reactions: soccer_007

Don2019

Aug 26, 2019
I applied 27 Feb on this new policy, just received approval now, took 10 business days. I didn’t receive any email, just randomly checked my account and it was showing - status updated. Valid for 18 months. I have an lmia wp application pending, it was even handled by company lawyer and i didnt have to stop working since pgwp expiration oct 2020 on implied status, i didnt tell the lawyer and our HR I applied for this by myself ;) not sure what’s going to happen with that. I prefer this as it is open work, not like the one pending I will be tied up with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: soccer_007 and Ha97

Rav@12

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
Any update on people who applied for pgwp under new policy on January 27th 2021 and didn't received any notifications yet? I've applied on 27th and till date no response from CIC. I'm seeing alot of people in this forum, who applied around February 1st week getting approvals. I don't know what's going on with the applications who applied on January 27th !!
I applied on the 31st, no response yet... :(