+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Stages + What They Mean (MEP, IP1, IP2, Ghost Update...) - Version 2019

marceloml

Jul 9, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi anyone. Could you please give me the link to check Ghost Update?
@hughlth there's no specific link to check Ghost Updates, you just need to check your CIC profile regularly to see when an update has been made. We call them Ghost Updates because even though it says "Updated" on your profile there's no apparent change on the actual profile.

Samta makkar

Jul 22, 2019
Hi,my AOR is of May 3,2020
I am an INLAND CEC EE applicant
Update one:_Medical passed=25 July,20w0
Update 2:- September 15,2020(IP2 I believe)-no actual changes
Bio.etrics given:26 oct,2020
Security completed:Nov 21,2020.
The assessment is complete confirmed as I spoke to 4 different IRCC agents but no DM or PPR email yet...
Any ideas when to expect the good news???
Anyone in the same situation or recieved PR after biometrics resumed in oct 2020 pls share ur timeline.
Thank you.

Reactions: danir

Irina_ua

Sep 4, 2019
Hi,my AOR is of May 3,2020
I am an INLAND CEC EE applicant
Update one:_Medical passed=25 July,20w0
Update 2:- September 15,2020(IP2 I believe)-no actual changes
Bio.etrics given:26 oct,2020
Security completed:Nov 21,2020.
The assessment is complete confirmed as I spoke to 4 different IRCC agents but no DM or PPR email yet...
Any ideas when to expect the good news???
Anyone in the same situation or recieved PR after biometrics resumed in oct 2020 pls share ur timeline.
Thank you.
Have you received it by this time?

Etjigger

Nov 22, 2020
I got a mail last week telling me... We're still working on your application.
What does that mean please?

Etjigger

Nov 22, 2020
Got a mail from ircc after 2months telling me... We're still working on your application. What does this mean please and which level is this ?

archit6691

Dec 8, 2020
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018
, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
What is the realistic timeline from AOR to CoPR? I know IRCC says 6 months or less but considering Covid backlog cases how much time is it taking or expected to take?

sud6feb

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Guys what is a ghost update ?
Ghost update is when you login to your profile and see the message stating that the profile has been updated but inside everything seems the same as before. Usually you don't get an email for a ghost update.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
Hai,we applied TRV for my daughter and she got first ghost update on Nov 23rd after that there's no any update. Please let me know the time line for TRV (child dependent). But I got approved for open work permit Nov 23rd stamping also got over. We applied as together but for her why this much time processing it seems don't know. Even is only 2.5yrs old for her there's background check too.please help me.

Monitee

Nov 15, 2020
Hi everyone, I caught a ghost update today but noticed that nothing changed on my profile. Please is this normal?

rs572

Dec 10, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Visa Office......
Delhi
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017,
AOR Received.
Application received on 18-05-2017
Med's Done....
Medical test passed on 27-05-2017
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
June 1, 2018
hello
@derkdsou @northern sunshine @USProgrammer
I applied in 2019 Aug and have never given the biometric in my life
I am applying as an Inland candidate do I need to give a biometric or am I exempted from it.
I paid for the biometric and it was returned
dont worry about bio until 2029..it is valid upto 10 years

Monitee

Nov 15, 2020
Yes, it's normal. I got first ghost update on October 23rd and Nov 23rd I got ppr. But it's for open work permit. U which category?
Express entry. I got a GU after MEP which was on the 11th of December. Then I caught another one this morning but this time nothing changed on my profile

datguytomi

Nov 3, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra (Moved to RROC December 2021)
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
31-10-2020
File Transfer...
02-12-2021
Passport Req..
16-03-2022
VISA ISSUED...
06-04-2022
LANDED..........
21-06-2022
Hello Everyone,

In my previous post I had mentioned that I got a 4th ghost update. Like many in the forum who already believe that ghost updates occur when your file is opened, or updated by someone who works in the immigration, is very much true. The same day as the ghost update, my former employer had gotten a verification call about my profile.

Like many who have shared before, please do not get bogged down by the number of Ghost Updates you see in the profile. You may get a PPR after one, and you may not get word from them even after 4. Let the process take its course. :)
Do you know if it was it the number on the letter (the person that signed the letter) or if it was the number on the website that was called?