+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Coffeeaddict

Jul 4, 2018
Ok, sounds good yeah I know thats basically the only way to contact them but was just making sure. Keep me updated if you hear anything!
Yeah I don't think you can call them. However, they do have this phone number listed on their website: 213-346-2700. I haven't tried to call though. I've heard consulate and embassies are notoriously difficult to get through by phone. I expect it'd be some Kafkaesque maze of automatic menus and recordings. Might still try though, so I'll keep you updated.

Edit: I just tried calling. The connection seems to be so bad that I can only hear bits and pieces of the recording.

Last edited:

Dclark1215

Aug 11, 2016
Yeah I don't think you can call them. However, they do have this phone number listed on their website: 213-346-2700. I haven't tried to call though. I've heard consulate and embassies are notoriously difficult to get through by phone. I expect it'd be some Kafkaesque maze of automatic menus and recordings. Might still try though, so I'll keep you updated.

Edit: I just tried calling. The connection seems to be so bad that I can only hear bits and pieces of the recording.
Hear anything yet? I feel like you're traveling soon! good luck!

Dclark1215

Aug 11, 2016
Hey everyone...I am applying for Criminal Rehabilitation this year and I am wondering what else you need (besides everything mentioned here with the TRP) If anyone has applied before please feel free to share your experience. I was able to successfully get a TRP last Fall with no issues and I did not use a lawyer. From what I understand most of the paperwork is the same, any info is great, thanks!

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hey everyone...I am applying for Criminal Rehabilitation this year and I am wondering what else you need (besides everything mentioned here with the TRP) If anyone has applied before please feel free to share your experience. I was able to successfully get a TRP last Fall with no issues and I did not use a lawyer. From what I understand most of the paperwork is the same, any info is great, thanks!

Same here! Planning to do the same thing.

Dclark1215

Aug 11, 2016
Same here! Planning to do the same thing.
Thats great, good luck! I was able to get my FBI records when I got the TRP last year but when I went to my local police for the criminal clearance/letter from a police authority they had no clue what I was talking about. Hoping I can get some sort of letter this year, my 5 years is up in June!

Dclark1215

Aug 11, 2016
I have to reapply for all the background checks, I guess. They cannot be older than 6 months?
Yes, I just looked into that I have to get mine again as well. Other than those everything else seems pretty clear and is the same as the TRP unless i'm missing something...The checklist is still the same form. The only other thing I found is that in December of 2018 a new law went into effect where a single DUI is now considered serious criminality. That would bring the fee from $200 to $770 USD which is awful. Im still not sure if that applies to a rehabilitation or not though. Also if I'm reading it correctly, now after 10 years you are not automatically considered Rehabilitated like before & would have to apply like we are now which is absurd.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Yep. Heard about that too. Do you have a DUI? I have a speeding ticket, so I don’t think I will be affected, but it sucks. Canada is really strict with that.

bison2010x

Apr 14, 2019

Hello, any update to your case/application? I have a similar situation as your husband regarding DUI.

bison2010x

Apr 14, 2019
How did this work out for you guys? I'm a moron and purchased non-refundable plane tickets for my husband and myself without having knowledge of the problems a DUI can cause for entry, until trying to rent a car.

Hoping to apply for TRP at the border (for husband) and not lose out on our $600+ tickets...
Any updates on what happened with your trip? I have the same issue coming up.

bison2010x

Apr 14, 2019
Update for anyone that finds this thread. Even though it was said that FBI Report is not required for TRP, I would suggest getting one. Mine came back with two items - one dismissed, the other not even indicted - that don't show disposition. It looks like I am still wanted to two things that were dropped.

I applied to FBI for my file online, mailed a set of fingerprints, and got my report emailed in five days. Definitely worth the trouble as many cases are plead down, yet your file may only contain original charge(s).
Any update on what happened with your TRP application? I have a similar situation coming up.

Mr. Optimistic

Feb 3, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I have gone through all the pages of this thread but couldn't find solution to my problem, Hope somebody can help.

Myself and wife are PR holders of Canada and living in Dubai. My sister passed away and I have taken the guardianship of the child (6 years old).
Since I cannot adopt him as per the religious rule and rules of my country, I have got his UAE visa based on guardianship and he is currently studying in the school here for the past 1 year and registered for the next grade starting in Sept. 19.

He has travelled with us to UK before and he also has a US visa. I applied for his visit visa to canada. I took 5 months for a reply and visa was refused. I can reapply for his visit visa and can answer all the questions however we have already planned for USA and canada trip and cannot wait for another 5 months to get a reply, we are traveling in July 2019.

If we go to USA and apply for his TRP at the border for a few days travel to canada, taking all the documents which I have submitted for his visit visa and prepare answers to all the denial points. Since his UAE visa is renewed recently for another year of study and he has to go back to school in Sept. 19. Can he be given the TRP at the border. He is only six years old. He is very close to my parents and have no intention of him taking to canada as a permanent residence as my father would not allow this.

The child will be only with us for a few days in canada as he travelled with us to UK and USA.

Will the TRP be helpful?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I have gone through all the pages of this thread but couldn't find solution to my problem, Hope somebody can help.

Myself and wife are PR holders of Canada and living in Dubai. My sister passed away and I have taken the guardianship of the child (6 years old).
Since I cannot adopt him as per the religious rule and rules of my country, I have got his UAE visa based on guardianship and he is currently studying in the school here for the past 1 year and registered for the next grade starting in Sept. 19.

He has travelled with us to UK before and he also has a US visa. I applied for his visit visa to canada. I took 5 months for a reply and visa was refused. I can reapply for his visit visa and can answer all the questions however we have already planned for USA and canada trip and cannot wait for another 5 months to get a reply, we are traveling in July 2019.

If we go to USA and apply for his TRP at the border for a few days travel to canada, taking all the documents which I have submitted for his visit visa and prepare answers to all the denial points. Since his UAE visa is renewed recently for another year of study and he has to go back to school in Sept. 19. Can he be given the TRP at the border. He is only six years old. He is very close to my parents and have no intention of him taking to canada as a permanent residence as my father would not allow this.

The child will be only with us for a few days in canada as he travelled with us to UK and USA.

Will the TRP be helpful?
I don't think that applying for the TRP at the border has any real chance of working. This is typically reserved for emergencies or high priority needs - which this isn't. He needs a TRV to come to Canada which cannot be obtained at the border. You can certainly try for the TRP - however you should assume it's going to be a refusal and plan accordingly. IMO, if you really want to visit Canada, I would reapply for the TRV and strengthen the application.

Mr. Optimistic

Feb 3, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think that applying for the TRP at the border has any real chance of working. This is typically reserved for emergencies or high priority needs - which this isn't. He needs a TRV to come to Canada which cannot be obtained at the border. You can certainly try for the TRP - however you should assume it's going to be a refusal and plan accordingly. IMO, if you really want to visit Canada, I would reapply for the TRV and strengthen the application.
Thank you scylla, I am doing the same as the reasons for the refusal was financial of the child and ties to home country, which I can answer.
the same thing happened when I apply for my visit visa back in 2016 and got refused. Later I reapplied with detailed explanation and was successful.