+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
I am travelling next week. Meeting was scheduled with not enough lead-time to apply for TRP through Consulate, so I am going to take my chances at airport. Has anyone applied for a TRP at Port-of-Entry?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
I am travelling next week. Meeting was scheduled with not enough lead-time to apply for TRP through Consulate, so I am going to take my chances at airport. Has anyone applied for a TRP at Port-of-Entry?

You’re from the U.S.?

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
Yes, from US. Meeting was supposed to be in the spring, but it was moved forward, so I have no choice except to apply at airport.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Yes, from US. Meeting was supposed to be in the spring, but it was moved forward, so I have no choice except to apply at airport.
I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine. Just bring the documents (I think you still need those?) and it shouldn’t be an issue. Good luck!

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
Thank you. I think I have everything I need. I got a letter of reference from my boss, explaining the reasons for my trip and that my offense was found to be an anomaly. I have documents showing completion of all elements of my sentence, and documents showing the dispositions of the other two items on my FBI report (one dismissed, one never charged). I also have residential and employment histories, description of circumstance surrounding my offense and thoughts on my rehabilitation. My local statutes are almost identical to Canadian ones for the same offense, so it should make the agent's job easier.

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
One last question - do I present my TRP application to the first agent I encounter, or only bring it up if I am challenged?

(I've finished compiling my application and added comparison of Canadian Statutes with those I was charge and sentenced under and was surprised to see how much more lenient Canadian sentencing is for the same offense. The good news is that the Statutes line up almost exactly, so it should be easy for the Agent to compare.)

Last edited:

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
Well this wasn't what I expected. I scanned my passport and declaration at a kiosk upon arrive at YVR and presented the printout to a border agent. He glanced at my passport for less than a second and said "have a nice day." I went to get my luggage - thinking that there would a more formal examination leaving baggage claim, but the next thing I knew I was in a cab. I was given more scrutiny coming back the the U.S. So, I don't know what to think. Either the kiosk that scanned my passport wasn't hooked up to any database, or these tales of getting rejected at the border are over blown. So I put together my TRP package for nothing, unless I use it for rehabilitation.

harpu_1986

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2014
Nomination.....
13-11-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with package
File Transfer...
15-01-2015
Med's Request
24-01-2015
Med's Done....
06-02-2015
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2015
LANDED..........
03-07-2015
Hi,

I am a working wife and wants to apply my parents visitor visa. My father is 64 years old and still working and mother is housewife. As we are showing employment letter and bank statement shows salary every month. They have in their savings account around 2.5 lacs and we have another joint account which includes myself my mother and father and which has 7 lacs. I just wanted to know are they consider funds from the joints account if i apply visitor visa for them??

Please help me to clarify the confusion.

Thanks

Anthony350

Jan 22, 2020
please, i need answer to this : Are you paying the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) for an application you’ve already submitted? (required)

rabidforks

Feb 7, 2020
Just sharing my experience as I spent a lot of time lurking this and similar places during the wait for information! Hope it helps someone down the road.

I'm based in the UK, was looking to attend a work event in Canada later this month (Feb 2020). Made my boss aware that I had criminal convictions that might be an issue. They are from when I was 17, and the arrests were over a decade old but because the process was so long the completion of my sentence (probation) was less than 10 years ago. So I assumed (correctly) I wouldn't be considered rehabilitated.

I put together my TRP application and a parallel criminal rehabilitation application including all information requested. Three things I would flag up for anyone in this position in the UK: -

- You can write to the court you were convicted in asking for a certificate of conviction. This will just be the bare bones of your convictions and sentencing, but it was the only information from the courts I was able to get. This was free, in my case I was able to send the request via email giving my name and the date of my convictions, and where to send the info to.

- Police records come in two types. You can do a subject access request where the police send along all information they have on you, which is free. Unfortunately the embassy do not accept this and require the paid for police certificate, which details your convictions but ironically has less information. So make sure you send the police certificate and not the subject access request results to avoid delay

- Even if your trip is short, you will be required to give biometrics. I did not realise this so it was a bit of extra delay sorting out that fee and making the appointment to go down. Can only be done in one office in London so make sure you account for that.

So my timeline was I submitted my paperwork at the end of October 2019, including a letter from my boss detailing the reason for my trip, that it would be underwritten by work - it is important to demonstrate you are going for a reason and have the means to go, stay and return home. At the end of November I got an email requesting the biometrics fee, the police certificate instead of the subject access info I sent as well as the "top up" fee for my criminal rehabilitation application. I had those all sorted and sent via email about 2 weeks after. A couple of days after sending this, I was sent a letter to make a biometrics appointment. I went down and sorted that mid December.

I'd heard nothing going towards the end of January and my boss was getting a bit edgy as we were approaching the cancellation deadline for the meeting and risked losing out on the registration fee if it turned out I couldn't go after all. I was given an internal deadline that if an answer hadn't come by the end of Jan I couldn't go. I sent an email to the embassy flagged as urgent (which they endeavour to reply to within a couple of days if they think it truly counts as urgent) stating I had this new deadline and if they had any info. I got a reply with a week to go saying that my deadline was noted and they'd get back as soon as they were able to. The deadline actually passed, but the reply meant my boss was willing to hold out for a couple more days and lo and behold at the 11th hour I got an email saying my TRP was approved. Single entry, expiring the day after the work meeting. Guessing I won't hear about the permanent criminal rehabilitation for a long while yet, but that is by no means urgent for me.

So anyway - my advice would be to plan as well ahead in advance as you possibly can. And hopefully this advice will stop someone falling into the delays I did. But they do seem to try and be responsive if you get in touch with a genuine urgency. Good luck to the rest of you.

Reactions: Makari

seppen fridge

Mar 4, 2020
Well this wasn't what I expected. I scanned my passport and declaration at a kiosk upon arrive at YVR and presented the printout to a border agent. He glanced at my passport for less than a second and said "have a nice day." I went to get my luggage - thinking that there would a more formal examination leaving baggage claim, but the next thing I knew I was in a cab. I was given more scrutiny coming back the the U.S. So, I don't know what to think. Either the kiosk that scanned my passport wasn't hooked up to any database, or these tales of getting rejected at the border are over blown. So I put together my TRP package for nothing, unless I use it for rehabilitation.
Hey there -

earlier in this thread you mentioned that you didn't have complete disposition on your cases, but then you managed to get it.

I am trying to get a rehabilitation application together because I did get a second DUI where the five-years-after-sentence-completion is approaching, and I have complete paperwork on that. I have an issue similar to the one you referenced earlier from a really old DUI (1997). I got the DUI in one US state while residing in another. The probation was transferred from the state where the offense occurred to the state I was living in at the time. I completed that probation successfully.

The problem is, neither jurisdiction can produce proof of that. Not only that, this crime doesn't even show up on my FBI or the police certificate from the state that it occurred in. I'm getting close to the point where I'm ready to throw in the towel over a DUI that was basically criminally rehabilitated in 2008 if I could only show proof that I satisfied all the requirements set out in my sentencing.

What steps did you take to track down your missing information? I have contacted the clerk who has been somewhat helpful in the county of the conviction, and I'm working through an attorney friend in the state I was residing in, but I just can't seem to get what I need. If that paperwork doesn't turn up, is there any alternative? Can you present some sort of notarized letter from the court that you must have satisfied the sentence because there aren't any warrants for your arrest?

Thanks in advance.

Sion

Jul 24, 2017
Hello,
Firstly, has anyone ever applied for initial TRP from within Canada ? Please share.
Second,i would like to know is it ok to apply on your own ?

abdulqayyum

Dec 22, 2013
Hi guys,
i'm in canada with PR status, i want to sponsor my friend, willing to send letter of invitation, demonstrate my bank statement, house lease agreement, tax detail, ready to arrange air-ticket itinerary, health insurance, will this help in getting the visa?

Also, i've a question, i've a 2 kinds of bank accounts in canada, 1 is personal and 2nd is business, i have money in business account mainly, can i show statement of business account instead of personal, pls advise, thanks,

Cj88

Mar 13, 2017
Hi everyone, Thank you to everyone that posted with all the helpful info.

I am helping my gf do a TRP and rehabilitation form. She has lots of domestic misdemeanors from previous marriage, should that be included in the TRP and rehabilitation form?

Also we are hoping she can visit long enough to become common law or we get married. Is that something that we state in the letters? I was thinking of asking for the TRP to be long enough to extend past the time the rehabilitation can go through. So then can become a permanent resident through common law.

Thanks for your time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, Thank you to everyone that posted with all the helpful info.

I am helping my gf do a TRP and rehabilitation form. She has lots of domestic misdemeanors from previous marriage, should that be included in the TRP and rehabilitation form?

Also we are hoping she can visit long enough to become common law or we get married. Is that something that we state in the letters? I was thinking of asking for the TRP to be long enough to extend past the time the rehabilitation can go through. So then can become a permanent resident through common law.

Thanks for your time
You would certainly want to list the misdemeanors in the TRP and rehab application.

Yes, in the TRP application I would recommend mentioning why she wants to visit Canada and should be given an exception. She wants to make a strong case for why she should be allowed into Canada before rehab is approved.

Reactions: Cj88