+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi everyone, sorry for the late response. My application is at the consulate in LA and I am just waiting to hear back. They also told me that it takes about 4 months. Here is everything that I submitted. I hope this helps other people. You have to use the criminal rehabilitation application, mark “for information only” and write TRP on the top. This is by no means a complete list for everyone, just what I sent in. Since I also sent in a study permit application, I did not have to pay the TRP fee, just the one for the study permit.

- Cover letter
- Application for Temporary Resident Permit (including 3 letters that answer the short answer questions: circumstances of wrong doing, whether I see myself rehabilitated, and why I want to go to Canada)
-Use of a Representative (because I have a lawyer)
- 2 passport-sized photos
- Copy of passport bio-data page
-Copy of Driver’s license
- Copy of “I Drive Safely” certificate (I need a TRP because of speeding)
- FBI, home country, Virginia (where I got convicted), New York state police clearance (where I currently live), and RCMP clearances (I also spent more than 6 months in Canada so I need a background check as well)
- Copy of court records
- Foreign and Canadian statutes (lawyer has been extremely helpful here!)
- Employment letter
- Three character reference letters
- Copy of Bachelor’s degree and transcript

All in all, I found that having a lawyer is extremely helpful. I had over 70 pages plus the same amount for the study permit. It can easily happen that you forget something, which can ruin everything. I also had a lot of questions regarding how to fill out the form, where to send it to, and so many little things. I don’t think I could have done it without a lawyer.

I will continue checking this forum if anyone has any questions.

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
How much was lawyer, if I may ask? 70 pages for a speeding ticket? Yea, nothing broken about that system...

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Of course. It was $1250. One other lawyer wanted $3000... it might seem like a lot (and it is) but I don’t think I would have figured out the details by myself.

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
True - it sounds like a lot, but when I added up how much time I put into this before surrendering, it's not bad. Plus, I suspect using a lawyer makes a big difference in the final result, as the system is-the-way-it-is because of the profit motive.

EvaS

May 28, 2018
Did you hire a Canadian lawyer or a lawyer in the US?
And how did you find an attorney qualified to help? My boyfriend and I are booked on an Alaskan cruise in August which stops in Victoria. I would really like him to be able to get off the boat there!

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Hi everyone, sorry for the late response. My application is at the consulate in LA and I am just waiting to hear back. They also told me that it takes about 4 months. Here is everything that I submitted. I hope this helps other people. You have to use the criminal rehabilitation application, mark “for information only” and write TRP on the top. This is by no means a complete list for everyone, just what I sent in. Since I also sent in a study permit application, I did not have to pay the TRP fee, just the one for the study permit.
Can you quote the Canadian statute that's related to speeding in your case.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Did you hire a Canadian lawyer or a lawyer in the US?
Sorry for thr late response. I hired a Canadian lawyer (the one that also runs this website). I read on the internet that it’s much better to hire a Canadian one since they know all the laws..

And how did you find an attorney qualified to help? My boyfriend and I are booked on an Alaskan cruise in August which stops in Victoria. I would really like him to be able to get off the boat there!
I found the one who runs this website the cheapest and very competent. They also offered a free phone conversation to discuss my case which was very helpful.

Can you quote the Canadian statute that's related to speeding in your case.
Sure. It’s Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle.

May 27, 2018
Is there a way to check a status of TRP snd criminal rehabilitation. I applied 5-27 and havent recieved a confirmation or anything. I am leaving for canada 3rd week of October. Anyone have any advice on how to check the status of if I dont have it what are my chances of getting in are just driving up there with my paperwork.

Reactions: Coffeeaddict

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Is there a way to check a status of TRP snd criminal rehabilitation. I applied 5-27 and havent recieved a confirmation or anything. I am leaving for canada 3rd week of October. Anyone have any advice on how to check the status of if I dont have it what are my chances of getting in are just driving up there with my paperwork.
The application could take somewhere from around a few weeks to several months.

You also could apply at the point of entry with your paperwork for both the TRP and rehabilitation however since you have already applied I do not recommend going through that route until you have completed your existing application.

May 27, 2018
What's makes me nervous is that I haven't recieved anything saying hey we have your application and are processing it. No email or nothing in regular mail.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
What's makes me nervous is that I haven't recieved anything saying hey we have your application and are processing it. No email or nothing in regular mail.
Maybe you can just email them? And you can also ask them whether they can recommend you applying at the border if you are an American citizen.

Dclark1215

Aug 11, 2016
I have a few questions I'm wondering about if anyone could help. Im a little bit confused as to where I actually send my packet, I live in Upstate New York so I would think to send it to the NY office but on the cic site it states only to send to NY if you are applying for Rehabilitation not a TRP. It stated The LA office would be for a TRP which contradicts someone saying to send it to the one nearest you.

I also am wondering if I send the 200$ check with the packet or not? Some have said you don't pay it until you actually get the email from them saying you've been approved and pay the money. There is no point in sending a check if its not needed with the original packet.

I am pretty confident I have everything I need with the help here & really hoping my reasons for going in are good enough (I am not using a lawyer) I have a family wedding in November and my mother in law is legally blind who needs assistance and my wife can not do it on her own. I will be mailing everything in at the end of June. I too have about 60-70 pages total with FBI reports and all. I tried to apply for a TRP at the border at the Lewiston Queenston bridge last May & the officer would not let me & stated I basically needed a dying family member to cross and I was turned back around. (He was a complete asshole as well and seemed like he hated his job) So this time around I'm applying before hand, any help with the questions is much appreciated thanks!

Dirty30

Jun 20, 2018
I just returned from a trip to Canada. My application arrived at the consulate on the last day of February. I did not get a letter of acceptance until June 1st. My trip was over Father's Day Weekend

Dclark1215

Aug 11, 2016
I just returned from a trip to Canada. My application arrived at the consulate on the last day of February. I did not get a letter of acceptance until June 1st. My trip was over Father's Day Weekend
Good to know so 3 months..Where did you send your packet LA or NY? & did you send in the 200$ check with it?