+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

ryankennedy

Mar 20, 2018
Hello

Again sorry for the same questions but when reviewing the checklist it states that Federal/State clearance is needed , based on previous post is this just for rehabilitation or is it required for a TRP also?

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
It sounds like it's just for Rehabilitation. Obviously the more you provide, the better, but I guess some of the State stuff can take forever to track down, making it not practical for TRP.

It looks like TRP application is more concerned with documenting and explaining a single case, as anything more intense is probably an automatic denial. I'm having trouble finding detailed documentation of my case (they don't give you a receipt when leaving jail) - I have a letter that says I completed all requirements, but they don't detail what/when.

ryankennedy

Mar 20, 2018
It sounds like it's just for Rehabilitation. Obviously the more you provide, the better, but I guess some of the State stuff can take forever to track down, making it not practical for TRP.

It looks like TRP application is more concerned with documenting and explaining a single case, as anything more intense is probably an automatic denial. I'm having trouble finding detailed documentation of my case (they don't give you a receipt when leaving jail) - I have a letter that says I completed all requirements, but they don't detail what/when.

Thank you , when i was looking i was hesitate on why both federal and state would be needed however I did not want to have the application denied and the $200 fee charged due to not sending in the FBI/State documents as everything else I have been able to attain. Most county's will allow you to do a case record search which should bring up details on the conviction including sentence and confirmation that all fines/requirements were completed

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
The directions say to not send any money for a TRP - they will let you know if it's worth pursuing. Contradicts what we heard above, but maybe they do a quick glance and say "don't bother" if you're a murderer.

Last edited:

ryankennedy

Mar 20, 2018
Hello

Thank you for all the feedback, I think I am going to follow the instructions stated in previous post and pay the $200 online as that seems to be referred to on multiple sites and send the information in with the exception of the FBI/State police certificate. I will let the group know how this goes

ryankennedy

Mar 20, 2018
This is where it gets contradictory:

"If you are sending in the form for information only
See the section Coming to, or Remaining in Canada Without Approval of Rehabilitation.

Do not send a processing fee. An officer will review the form and advise how you should proceed."

Literally right above that is says to send fees.
That is where my concern is, previous post say that the fund was sent in and the site states that a fee is needed and should be printed and sent however the application, I am not sure what the next steps would be from an application standpoint if approved as my understanding was that I am sending the form IM 1444 requesting the approval unless this is just to take to the border and the fee is paid there

Its all very confusing

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
I guess the fact the poster on page one of this thread sent payment, and he's the only person, I have found, that reported success, means to send payment.

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
I'm still at odds over how much detail to provide. I went back to courthouse and got my complete case file. The problem is that it's incomplete and incorrect. I don't know whether to:

1) Provide the Official Letter from the Court that states I have satisfied every obligation, along with a document where I describe the sentence.
2) Add the incorrect/incomplete Sentencing Form.
3) Try to have the court certify a corrected Form.

The disconnect is that IMM 1444 seems to want a detailed break down of dates, whereas my Court (and Motor Vehicles Department) take the position that since I'm "walking the streets and driving on an unrestricted license, the matter is closed."

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
The more I work on this, the clearer the requirements become. I was initially way too focused on my "narrative," when Application is actually quite "clinical." It appears to work like a sieve:

1) Identify Applicant
2) FBI/State Background => Is Applicant a Fugitive?
3a) Conviction/Sentence/Local Statute/Canadian Statue => Is Applicant Inadmissible on grounds of Criminality or Serious Criminality.
3b) Sentence Completion => Is Applicant eligible for Rehabilitation?
4) Reason for Visit => Is reason compelling?
5) Mitigating Factors (stability of residence/education/employment, counseling/rehab, recommendations/referrals) => Is Applicant a risk?

There is probably a matrix, or piece of software, that tallies the answers to above questions and renders a verdict.

Reactions: Coffeeaddict

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
Update for anyone that finds this thread. Even though it was said that FBI Report is not required for TRP, I would suggest getting one. Mine came back with two items - one dismissed, the other not even indicted - that don't show disposition. It looks like I am still wanted to two things that were dropped.

I applied to FBI for my file online, mailed a set of fingerprints, and got my report emailed in five days. Definitely worth the trouble as many cases are plead down, yet your file may only contain original charge(s).

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi everyone, I would also suggest to include an FBI background check. It was very easy and fast to get. I am currently in the process of applying for a TRP.. It is a lot of work but hopefully worth it in the end. I am also including state background checks.. Once I submit everything (hopefully be next week), I am happy to post a full list of documents. I also hired a lawyer so I assume this list is correct.

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
Yes - please keep us posted. The two questions no one can answer, without guessing, are:
1) How long does it take once L.A. Consulate gets your application?
2) What are the odds of getting approved at a Port-of-Entry if you present a completed application with all documents?

ryankennedy

Mar 20, 2018
Hello

I sent my completed application to the LA Consulate which they received on 4/19 and just received an email outlining what is needed and that the average processing time is 4 months unless you meet the expeidited reasoning which personal travel/tourism does not fal into that category, I did inquire as to what the the recommended approach would be for someone traveling in June

Mr._X

Mar 16, 2018
I read on another lawyer's site that "expedited" processing is only for athletes and entertainers. Piecing things together from various sources it looks like the reality is that the TRP System costs way more to administer than it brings in, and that Border/Immigration aren't big fans of using it to overcome criminal inadmissibility. At the same time there would be a massive backlash if U.S. Hockey, Basketball and Baseball stars, as well huge concert tours no longer came to Canada because someone in the organization had a misdemeanor. The whole thing is total hypocrisy and needs to be exposed as such.

Every person that cancels a business trip or vacation over this really needs to contact Canadian Tourism bureau to remind them of how much money they are losing. Five or six years ago the Canadian Tourism industry tried to get this addressed - it's time they tried again.