thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PART - 1

WARNING: LONG POST

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing good and staying safe in these uncertain times.

Its about time – A few people have been requesting me for a detailed post for citizenship (like my post on Express Entry / OINP HCPS). Also, it is almost my time to apply for citizenship (I’ll be applying later this year). Like always, I will do my best to be as correct and accurate as possible, if you find something to be incorrect, PLEASE let me know.

Since (unfortunately) I can't make this as a single post, I'll split it into 6 parts.

IMPORTANT:

This post covers the information required for adults to apply for regular citizenship. There are other processes like fast-track process for Armed Forces personnel and the like but they are out of the scope of this post.

If you are applying as a family and have a minor child, please follow the procedure to apply for citizenship for minor children IN ADDITION to the steps in this post.

Use this guide as a reference - I will provide links where necessary - It is important to actually open and read the links on the IRCC website. I cannot stress this enough.

Use this guide as a supplement to the IRCC's Instruction Guide . Like I did for my Express Entry post, I will split my post into phases.
  • Pre-Application Phase -> Getting ready to apply / Pre-requisites for submitting a citizenship application
  • Application Phase -> Filling out your application / Gathering Documents / Submitting your application package / Tips
  • Post-Application Phase -> AOR / Additional Document Requests / Test / Oath and next steps
Pre-Application Phase

Irrespective of how we first moved to Canada (student / work / PR / refugee) most of us who moved here have had a goal – applying for Canadian Citizenship. The time is nearing and it is important to understand the process in detail and try not to make any mistakes. The process is a little time consuming – do it once and do it right.

Let’s get to the basics.

Minimum requirements to be able to apply for citizenship:

1. Be a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Your PR status must be in good standing (You should not have a fraud investigation / removal order or the like against you). In other words, your PR status should not be in question.
    • Note: If your PR card has expired, you can still apply. Your PR status is NOT affected if your PR card expires.
  • Naturally, you should have maintained your PR status by being physically present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period.
2. Time spent in Canada
  • Most people should have spent at least 3 years (1095 days) in a 5-year period (physically present in Canada) immediately preceding the date you are signing the citizenship application.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Permanent Resident counts as one day towards physical presence.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Temporary Resident (Student / Work Visa, for instance) can be calculated as half a day towards physical presence up to a maximum of 365 days only.
  • For instance:
    • Arthur came in on a work visa on Jan 02 2014.
    • He got his PR on Jan 03 2016. He never left the country.
    • The number of days as a temporary resident is 730 days.
    • He spends 2 years (730 days) in Canada as a permanent resident.
    • Arthur can sign and submit his citizenship application on Jan 04 2018.
    • He counts each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident as half a day (which amounts to 365 days) and he counts each day spent as a permanent resident as one day (which amounts to 730 days).
  • The physical presence calculator is a very handy tool to keep track of your travels and calculate physical presence. It is also mandatory that you keep a track of your travels here so that when it is your time to apply, you can print it and submit it with your application.
  • Note 1: If you crossed an international border and returned to Canada the same day, it counts as being physically present in Canada.
    • For instance, traveling to US in the morning for shopping and returning to Canada the same evening – this day does count towards physical presence.
    • It is important to note that you MUST STILL DISCLOSE these trips in your physical presence calculator.
  • Note 2: Similarly, while traveling internationally, the day you leave Canada and the day you return to Canada also counts towards your physical presence.
    • For instance, if you left Canada on September 14th and returned on October 5th, September 14th and October 5th will count towards your physical presence.
  • Stating the obvious but any day spent outside Canada does NOT count towards physical presence. However, as usual, there are some exceptions (doesn’t apply to the majority of us though).
  • Generally, time spent serving a sentence or probation DOES NOT count towards physical presence with some exceptions.
  • Do NOT apply with exactly 1095 days. That is the minimum requirement but it is recommended to apply with more days. I’ll explain why later in the post.
3. Filing income taxes in Canada

Here it comes – something that no one escapes!
  • You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people.
  • The large majority of us WILL NOT be exempt from this.
4. Language Skills
  • Applicants who are of ages 18 – 54 MUST submit proof to substantiate that they can listen and speak at least one of Canada’s 2 official languages English or French.
  • More about this later in the post.
Mate, you're a star. Been following you since our pre OINP days.

If possible, would like to meet you in the future when this whole situation blows over. Take care and stay safe.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

leila1234

Apr 28, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the tax requirements for the citizenship application:

I want to apply for citizenship and I have already filed my taxes for three out of five years. So technically, I have met tax filing obligations for three of the preceding five tax years.

However, I did not fill the tax in one of the years because I was unemployed in Canada.
My question is :
Should I go ahead and apply for citizenship and for that year I check:
Not require: No filled: No

Or, Is it better If I first file that missing year with zero income this year and then apply for citizenship?

Or, Is filling a missing year right now might make the case worse and raise unnecessary questions to CRA; and I might be better if I just leave it as unfiled and proceed with the citizenship application?

Please advise, what is a better approach in order to avoid raising any unnecessary questions and complications to the citizenship application

Thanks a lot.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the tax requirements for the citizenship application:

I want to apply for citizenship and I have already filed my taxes for three out of five years. So technically, I have met tax filing obligations for three of the preceding five tax years.

However, I did not fill the tax in one of the years because I was unemployed in Canada.
My question is :
Should I go ahead and apply for citizenship and for that year I check:
Not require: No filled: No

Or, Is it better If I first file that missing year with zero income this year and then apply for citizenship?

Or, Is filling a missing year right now might make the case worse and raise unnecessary questions to CRA; and I might be better if I just leave it as unfiled and proceed with the citizenship application?

Please advise, what is a better approach in order to avoid raising any unnecessary questions and complications to the citizenship application

Thanks a lot.
You can answer No and No to the tax question for the year you were unemployed as long as you did not have to file a tax return AND did not receive any benefits (Generally, if you received any benefits that year, then you'll have to file a tax return).

mikooo

Feb 27, 2017
Hello everyone,
Should i translate any stamp on my passport in order to apply for the citizenship or just the biographical page?
Thank u in advance

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This post is great, thanks!
Just a couple of caveat:

1. PR card is an acceptable ID if the other piece of ID is issued by the Canadian Government:
"A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government."

2. Where does it says that the presence calculator page should be signed?
"You don’t have to sign or date your physical presence calculation (your printout of the Online Physical Presence Calculator or form CIT 0407)."

3. About the order of documents, the guide says to include first the bar-codes, not the checklist.
"Once the application is completed, click on the “Validate” button located at the top or bottom of the form. This will generate a barcode page – see image below. If this application form is completed on a computer and printed, you must place the barcode page on the top of your application (or if applying as a group, each individual application package)."

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone,
Should i translate any stamp on my passport in order to apply for the citizenship or just the biographical page?
Thank u in advance
Initially, you'll only be submitting the bio pages of the passport. So, you don't have to get your stamps translated at this point.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
This post is great, thanks!
Just a couple of caveat:

1. PR card is an acceptable ID if the other piece of ID is issued by the Canadian Government:
"A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government."

PR card was NOT accepted at the time this post was written. They started accepting PR cards sometime in late 2020.

2. Where does it says that the presence calculator page should be signed?
"You don’t have to sign or date your physical presence calculation (your printout of the Online Physical Presence Calculator or form CIT 0407)."

Again, the physical presence calculator had to be signed when this post was written. That requirement was removed recently (late 2020 or in 2021).

3. About the order of documents, the guide says to include first the bar-codes, not the checklist.
"Once the application is completed, click on the “Validate” button located at the top or bottom of the form. This will generate a barcode page – see image below. If this application form is completed on a computer and printed, you must place the barcode page on the top of your application (or if applying as a group, each individual application package)."

Yet again, we did NOT have bar codes or form validations when we applied. The new form was made available in late 2020 (post October I think). So, the order I have in the post is the order in which I submitted my application. I have received AOR and IP.

You'll have to make necessary changes to the process as it is evolving. Be sure to follow the instructions in the Instruction Guide on IRCC website.

Good luck!

Reactions: chente

singcan

May 1, 2021
I worked in Singapore for few months before moving to Canada. So, I require PCC from Singapore. Unfortunately, Singapore doesn't issue PCC without a letter from IRCC. Can we just provide a letter of explanation then?

Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?
I have been to several countries on visitor visa. Do I provide the validity of my visa as opposed to the number of days I stayed in a country?
For example, my visitor visa was valid for 3 months but I spent just 6 days in a country. In that case, should I provide the 3 months time period?

Vanecenz588

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
I worked in Singapore for few months before moving to Canada. So, I require PCC from Singapore. Unfortunately, Singapore doesn't issue PCC without a letter from IRCC. Can we just provide a letter of explanation then?

Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?
I have been to several countries on visitor visa. Do I provide the validity of my visa as opposed to the number of days I stayed in a country?
For example, my visitor visa was valid for 3 months but I spent just 6 days in a country. In that case, should I provide the 3 months time period?
my own opinion write a letter of explanation insert the document checklist highlighting the need to provide PC

About Singapore, are u trying to say to write a letter of explanation to IRCC that Singapore dont issue PC if no letter from them.
My own opinion try to write a letter of explanation to Singapore insert the document checklist highlighting the need to provide a PC to IRCC( just my own suggestion)...:)
And about your visitor visas , just the days that you were out of Canada

singcan

May 1, 2021
my own opinion write a letter of explanation insert the document checklist highlighting the need to provide PC

About Singapore, are u trying to say to write a letter of explanation to IRCC that Singapore dont issue PC if no letter from them.
My own opinion try to write a letter of explanation to Singapore insert the document checklist highlighting the need to provide a PC to IRCC( just my own suggestion)...:)
And about your visitor visas , just the days that you were out of Canada
Thanks so much for your response.

So, for visitor visas, is it enough if I provide the details about my visas from the time I landed in Canada as a PR? Does it mean that, if I had visited few countries prior to moving to Canada, I don't need to mention those details?

Yes, Singapore doesn't issue PCC without a letter from IRCC requesting PCC. :-/

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hey guys
Can anyone please let me know if the format of questions is same for newly introduced online citizenship application and paper based citizenship application?

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
Any and all passports that you held during the last 5 years from the date of your application must be included. That is, if your previous passport expired or was cancelled within the last 5 years, then you'll have to include that. Passports that were cancelled or expired beyond this period (beyond 5 years from the date of your application) doesn't need to be added.
Thank you @rajkamalmohanram ji for your response.

elle03

Star Member
Dec 27, 2015
App. Filed.......
24-01-2017
Nomination.....
18-12-2016 (OINP)
AOR Received.
24-01-2017
Passport Req..
15-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
coming soon
Hi, May I ask help in filling up the application form in Question4. I need clarification regarding entering full name. It says:
Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card)

I recently got a new PR card with my new surname, so should I put that in or the old one which is in my Record of landing and COPR? Because when I try to put in the new surname, the following question asks if I changed my name since becoming PR, so I have to say YES and then next I have to put in my new legal name which is the same info from the above. Problem is I get the pop up error and cant proceed because of the same info I think. So I guess I have to put in my old surname first? Can anyone confirm me? Thanks a lot..

Reactions: Wacky1.nash

Codered23

Jan 10, 2018
Hi Everyone.

Has anyone Noticed the Eligibility period does auto populate when u enter the "To" Date (9a) in the application form.

Example I put Application Date on Online Presence Calculator as 2021-05-04. The Eligibility date I get is 2016-05-04 to 2021-05-03.

Now when I put 2021-05-03 "To" Date (9a) in the application form the from date is auto populated as 2016-05-03. Now in the form I have a different eligibility period which is 1 day less from the online calculator 2016-05-03 to 2021-05-03. There is now way we can edit the from date on the from as its auto populated by a formula.

Please advise if anyone has noticed this and if this is a big.

Reactions: SimpleMac