Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Andrew2016

Star Member
Apr 13, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello @rajkamalmohanram,

I just wanted to get you opinion on the Physical presence calculator. I have noticed that the calculation is off by one day(less) at the FROM period.

Let me give an example, I filled the application for citizenship using Adobe and at question 9 it automatically filled FROM field when I inputed TO field.
Screenshot below-
Based of this my signing date need to be at-least one day after so in this situation 2021-04-14.

After this I filled up the Online Physical Calculator accordingly.
At the Final step it is actually calculating a day less from 2016-04-14 to 2021-04-13
So it is actually eliminating the 2016-04-13 date from the calculations. Now my concern is would this be a problem as they want all the days to match exactly stated in the form.

Nik_shy

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Hello @rajkamalmohanram,

I just wanted to get you opinion on the Physical presence calculator. I have noticed that the calculation is off by one day(less) at the FROM period.

Let me give an example, I filled the application for citizenship using Adobe and at question 9 it automatically filled FROM field when I inputed TO field.
Screenshot below-
Based of this my signing date need to be at-least one day after so in this situation 2021-04-14.

At the Final step it is actually calculating a day less from 2016-04-14 to 2021-04-13
So it is actually eliminating the 2016-04-13 date from the calculations. Now my concern is would this be a problem as they want all the days to match exactly stated in the form.
Thanks for asking this question. I am also facing the same issue. Can someone please provide some guidance on it? Appreciate the help!

Reactions: Andrew2016

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hello @rajkamalmohanram,

Screenshot below-

I had the same issue when I submitted my app. Everyone using the new form are facing the same issue. Given that the start date is generated automatically, no solution has been found for it yet, because we can’t change the default setting of the form. We’re not even sure whether it’s an intentional default setting, or it’s just a simple bug! No update from IRCC either. Needless to say, all people are sending their applications with this particular issue and all will be fine. It’s an issue for all applicants.

If you’re a picky person like me, you can write an explanation letter to ease your mind. That’s what I did. However, I believe as this issue is for everyone, we all will be totally fine.

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
I had the same issue when I submitted my app. Everyone using the new form are facing the same issue. Given that the start date is generated automatically, no solution has been found for it yet, because we can’t change the default setting of the form. We’re not even sure whether it’s an intentional default setting, or it’s just a simple bug! No update from IRCC either. Needless to say, all people are sending their applications with this particular issue and all will be fine. It’s an issue for all applicants.

If you’re a picky person like me, you can write an explanation letter to ease your mind. That’s what I did. However, I believe as this issue is for everyone, we all will be totally fine.
I agree. I sent in my application just like that. IRCC will realise the problem is with their form

Reactions: Andrew2016

peegee100

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
Hi,
What date should I enter in the "To" column of the physical presence calculator, if I have printed the application form dated 2021-04-03 ( the checklist states that "Ensure that the application date used in this calculation and on the application form are the same)...
is that 03 April, or 4th April ? (I think the calculator automatically deletes a day?) Thanks in advance.

PeeGee

peegee100

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
HI.. I have another question:
I did not land in Canada until July, 2016, but the physical presence calculator asks for: "*Did you leave Canada between 2016-04-03 and 2021-04-02? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc. ". Should I mention that i was not in Canada from April 3 , 2016, to July 5, 2016? Please advise. Thanks.

Andrew2016

Star Member
Apr 13, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
What date should I enter in the "To" column of the physical presence calculator, if I have printed the application form dated 2021-04-03 It depends on your Question 18 "Signature of the application." It needs to be at-least one day after your 5 year period. Lets assume its 2021-04-03 is when you have signed the application then your period can be between 2016-04-02 to 2021-04-02.
(the checklist states that "Ensure that the application date used in this calculation and on the application form are the same)...
is that 03 April, or 4th April ? (I think the calculator automatically deletes a day?) Thanks in advance. I assume your are referring to the problem where it is removing the first day and says "Your eligibility period is 2016-04-03 to 2021-04-02" if yes, please refer to my post above and what others have to say.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
My friend asked me a question I couldn’t answer without adding “I think” cause I couldn’t really back it up with any official information. She asked if it would affect her citizenship application in a bad way if she waited and applies with 1500 days instead of right after she became eligible. I wasn’t sure what to tell her besides citing the minimum criteria. Any ideas?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
My friend asked me a question I couldn’t answer without adding “I think” cause I couldn’t really back it up with any official information. She asked if it would affect her citizenship application in a bad way if she waited and applies with 1500 days instead of right after she became eligible. I wasn’t sure what to tell her besides citing the minimum criteria. Any ideas?
If you mean she has a 405-day buffer after meeting the minimum requirement which is 1095 days, she's fine. Actually a minimum buffer of 30 days to cover any miscalculations in physical presence calculation is useful in my opinion. The more doesn't hurt tho.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
If you mean she has a 405-day buffer after meeting the minimum requirement which is 1095 days, she's fine. Actually a minimum buffer of 30 days to cover any miscalculations in physical presence calculation is useful in my opinion. The more doesn't hurt tho.
Thanks. I think she meant if it’s not going to look suspicious that she didn’t apply right away

amanjain026

Jul 12, 2017
Calgary
Category........
Other
Hi @rajkamalmohanram ,
Thanks for sharing your insights on citizensship process. It helps a lot without any doubt :)
I have two questions and wondering if you can help me.

1. My passport was about to expire in 2021-07-21 and I got it renewed last month and got a new one. Should I enter the expiry date of my previous passport as 2021-07-21 or should I enter a date just before the issue date of my renewed passport ? To me, it looks like I should enter the original expiry date of my old passport and then explain same in LOE. Can you share your views please ?

2. I was unemployed for three months in 2018. What should I enter in the Name of Employer column ? Can I fill it as "Not Applicable" and also in address column, should I fill the address I was staying at that time ? Can you please suggest ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Aman

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi @rajkamalmohanram ,
Thanks for sharing your insights on citizensship process. It helps a lot without any doubt :)
I have two questions and wondering if you can help me.

1. My passport was about to expire in 2021-07-21 and I got it renewed last month and got a new one. Should I enter the expiry date of my previous passport as 2021-07-21 or should I enter a date just before the issue date of my renewed passport ? To me, it looks like I should enter the original expiry date of my old passport and then explain same in LOE. Can you share your views please ?

Always enter dates shown on the passport. You can add a LOE.

2. I was unemployed for three months in 2018. What should I enter in the Name of Employer column ? Can I fill it as "Not Applicable" and also in address column, should I fill the address I was staying at that time ? Can you please suggest ?

Write "N/A" in the employer column. For the address, you can add your home address where you lived (at least that's what I did).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Aman

Reactions: dubairolla

dubairolla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Need some advice on the below:

01. I have lost my expired passport (I have landed in Canada with this passport). Do I need to explain why I don't have original document with me? I have the police report for lost passport.

02. There was 1 year gap between the expiry date of old passport and issue date of new passport. Do I need to explain the reason for this gap?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Need some advice on the below:

01. I have lost my expired passport (I have landed in Canada with this passport). Do I need to explain why I don't have original document with me? I have the police report for lost passport.

02. There was 1 year gap between the expiry date of old passport and issue date of new passport. Do I need to explain the reason for this gap?
1. Given that the lost passport you’re talking about was valid during your five-year eligibility period, you need to explain the whole story in a LOE and attach a copy of your police report to your application. Honestly speaking, It’s good that you have a police report for that. If you have a copy of your lost passport, I strongly recommend to include it in your application. You might be asked to show the original documents including your passports in the interview as well. Make sure you keep that original police report for the interview.

2. You definitely need to explain the reason of the gap in the application form. Actually, a space is provided in the form to be used for explaining the reason of the gap. If you don’t explain it, you’re application will be returned to you.